Aqara motion sensor no longer working

I have several Aqara P1 motion sensors. They were working really well for many months, but recently they have become intermittent.

I have tried deleting and re-adding them, but that doesn’t help.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the sensor entities (or just enabling them if they come up disabled) but that didn’t work either.

Can anyone help? Is this due to a recent breaking change in HA?

PS, check your logfiles , and try to describe your use-case

I.e i have my Aquara Sensors in Aqara M2 , i have never had any issues, when others had issues with i.e MQTT or Red-Node

Beside batteries tend to get weaker faster, the colder in environment they are in ( Very common ) so if on have a weak-signal, and cold environment, one can be sure that this particular sensor P1 needs frequent battery change and/or need a reset and re-install, only solution for this is another type/brand , for concrete-basement sensors, ive change to Tapo 868MHz

Using the ZHA integration or Zigbee2MQTT + with which Zigbee Coordinator and firmware?

There are no recent breaking change in HA related to the ZHA integration that I am aware of so make sure you using the latest recommended firmware on Zigbee Coordinator and that you read and follow all these tips to optimize your setup → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

FYI, all Zigbee radios and are very susceptible to interference from strong or close sources of EMF (electromagnetic fields) + have relatively poor range and building material penetration (i.e. bad non-line-of-sight propagation), so you should follow the advice in that guide and take some basic actions to avoid EMF interference by connecting the Zigbee Coordinator USB adapter via a long USB extension cable (preferably one with good shielding) as well as connecting it to a USB 2.0 port or a USB 2.0 hub (and not a USB 3.0 port/hub). The best practice is therefore to make sure that you start by adding many mains-powered Zigbee Router devices (to extend the range and coverage of your Zigbee network mesh) before adding any Zigbee End Devices (i.e. non-routers like for example battery-operated Zigbee devices) → https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#best-practices-to-avoid-pairingconnection-difficulties

Mine work as expected, I am on the latest HA and Z2M. Try changing batteries.

The batteries look good (e.g. 62% in the bathroom sensor).

I’m using ZHA with SkyConnect.

The log file is peppered with lines like this, which I don’t understand:

2024-01-03 20:57:39.717 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zha.core.cluster_handlers] [0x52C5:11:0x0006]: async_initialize: all attempts have failed: [DeliveryError('Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>'), DeliveryError('Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>'), DeliveryError('Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>'), DeliveryError('Failed to deliver message: <EmberStatus.DELIVERY_FAILED: 102>')]

In my experience you can’t trust the battery percentage on these. Try changing them.

Actually doesn’t look like a battery issue, more like network issue
Have you read Hedda’s notes and url’s ?

Please also post your wifi-channel setting and zigbee channel + topology (routers involved etc )
Also verify that you are on latest OS/Core Versions

1 Like

I have my SkyConnect on a long-ish USB cable near the ceiling. When It was close to the PC, there were occasional log messages about RF channel congestion but these have gone away.

I am using a USB3 port - could that be my problem? Why is USB2 preferred?

USB3 is within the 2.4ghz frequency , so no HD there either, as that could just make it even worse

Source: https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files/327216.pdf

1 Like

That and more is explained here (which include a video demo clearly showing the symptoms of USB 3.x/4.x interference) → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage