Aqara temperature, humidity and pressure sensor, model WSDCGQ11LM - rapid battery loss?

Where hearbeat is configured in zigbee2mqtt?

1 Like

I only have 1 but I’ve had it for 3+ months and the battery is at 47% right now.

No clue. Sort of doubt it’s configurable at all on the Aqara sensors.

Got mine setup. The OE battery is a Panasonic so leaving it. Both Aqara temp sensor and Aqara Door/window contact I got both show 59% battery. Strange they would both be that low out of the box. Not going to worry about since its sounds like you all are getting good runtime out of the sensors.

I recently got a batch of four of the newer MCCGQ14LM Door Sensors from Aliexpress that had dead batteries out of the box. They seem fine after replacing the batteries.

They are now showing 100%. Guess it just took a few to update

Not in my experience.

Quite fun we are just discussing this, I have one dropping out today. After +15 month in operation.
It dropped out at 2.955V, Z2M showing 30% battery left.

The problem with lithium batteries is they tend to fall off a cliff when they get near the end. That is then compounded by the fact z2m/zha doesn’t really know what voltage should be considered “0%” for any specific device.

Devices that self report battery percentages have a theoretical advantage - their engineers should be able to specify device appropriate bottom end value for the calculations.

For the devices that only report voltage like Aqara, z2m/zha can only use a generic range they think should work in most instances.

The z2m github battery thread is talking about changing the calculation again and lowering the upper voltage limit used in the calculation for 100%, but I wonder if they should also increase the lower limit assumed for 0%.

Agree, it is not a exact science. I have one Aqara weather sensor with even lower voltage, working stable. It is in the range of 2.935 - 2.965, changing a little up and down for the last month.

Huh, I didn’t even know that the Aqara sensors didn’t report battery percent. I assumed that since it was being reported that they were. :thinking:

On the edge like that there are so many variables that come into play. Accuracy of the voltmeter itself, the quality of the solder work, an MCU operating at the better end of it’s spec vs the worst end, how snug the battery fitting is, etc, etc.

Not an exact science at all.

Where are you getting your batteries from? I got mine from Aliexpress (mistake) and they drain significantly faster than the ones I got from my local supermarket. However the ones from the supermarket are significantly more expensive - I guess because they’re not counterfeit.

I have seen a single genuine CR2032 run a temperature sensor for over a year an still report 30%. Other times I’ve seen a temperature sensor report 1% battery and run for months.

Here’s the tread for the Xianomi/Aqara battery values.

:battery: (Xiaomi) Batteries values are questionable · Issue #8499 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub

Personally I buy name brand batteries from my local store. I’ve had good luck with Energizer batteries in my Tuya temp sensors. I’m sure those will work just as well with the Aqara sensors.

I received 12 new Aqara temperature sensors last weekend. I installed them, and have noticed that they all dropped to about 50% of their starting charge in the first 2 days. That being said, one I’ve had for months has sat all week at 33% (with a couple of times reporting at 36%). After dropping, they’ve stabilised at a new value. I believe the calculations for battery life are incorrect… so I’m ignoring them for now until they get really low… then I’ll look to replace batteries.

I got one of these 2 days ago. I had to rebuild my homeassistant, I couldnt get the device added. It seems completely dead… I ve swapped batteries etc, but the device is dead, no BLUE led blinking etc.

Is there something I can do other than try another battery?

The first time I added the device it worked like a charm. Strange.

Eric

PS: Im totally new to this but Im liking it.

I got mine around the same time as you. No problems with it so far.

I would make sure the battery is making good contact. Remove the battery cover. You should see a metal tab on one side of the battery. Pop the battery out and slightly bend that tab in. Be care not to break it. Pressing the button the LED should blink. Pressing and holding the button should reset the sensor then put into pairing mode blinking the LED rapidly.

Hopefully that helps.

I just got these Aqara temperature, humidity and pressure sensor and I am having the same battery indication issue here. I am glad to hear that it might just be a benign reporting issue, versus a flaw with the device. I will keep monitoring mine and update here.

So is this behaviour normal? I am confused and worried since only aqara battery drops so fast, sonoff temp sensors doesn’t work that way.