Aqara Vibration Sensor - make a dumb Vacuumrobot Semi-Smart? ;-)

Does anyone have that Sensor, and can give me some information about it?
Particulary:

• Ho often does it Update (given there is some movement going on)?
  • Does it report movements from the Gyroscope (e.g. -20 forward, +3 left, +8 Up), or do you configure Thresholds/Values before, and it reports itself as a Binary Sensor?

It came to my Mind - i could just attach it to our dumb Robot, and by that find out, wether its stuck somewhere, stopped completely, moving around…
But that would need to capture the Raw-Values in a relativly short timespan, probably every second.
Worth thinking more about it? :slight_smile:

My experience with the sensor is, that it’s actually not that reliable as a vibration senser - take a look at this discussion: What are the use cases of Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor? - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

It does provide the following attributes, though, which might give you exactly what you’re looking for:

You should be able to check if either or all of the ‘angle’ values do not change for a certain amount of time and conclude that the vacuum is stuck.

I set up one of my sensors to check if my desktop lifting mechanism is folded down (i.e. I’m sitting) or extended (i.e. I’m standing) and HA then adjusts my shutters accordingly, so I have no glare on my screen from the window. Works great!

1 Like

Thanks! Looks like i might get one to play around with :wink:
About Distance to Zigbee-Stick, and Update-Frequency i have to play around anyway. If it doesnt work, i still might find enough inspiration from that Link - thx for that as well! :slight_smile:

No problem - got to keep in mind, though, that you might run into issues with your vacuum/sensor getting too far away from the router you originally paired it to.
I know that the Zigbee mesh is supposed to optimize itself, but I don’t know how fast this happens because all my Zigbee sensors are stationary.