Argon One Active Cooling and Active Linear Cooling Addon

There is a jumper on the argon board that you can move to change the behaviour of the power button. It disables the button basically. So that it behaves more like a normal pi. It reboots instead of turning off. Core electronics there is an image halfway or so down the page.

I haven’t turned mine off for a while, but a single click on the button should turn it on in the standard jumper position.

The behavior of my Pi is such that it first stays off when freshly connected to power. It then turns on when you press the power button. The Argon add-on shows me the temperature and also audibly turns the fan on and off. However, when I then shut down the system, the button no longer responds. My PIN connection is default. Actually, I want to be able to switch it manually. But it should also be able to switch on again after switching off.

ok, sorry.

Thanks to you, I got rid of the annoying fan noise. :raised_hands:

Hi Guys,

Okay, I’m completely green to Home Assistant, and relatively new Raspberry Pi’s.

I’ve got myself a new RPi 4b 4gb along with a new Kingston A400 M.2 120gb and a new Argon One Enclosure. Just waiting on a M.2 to usb cable.

As this addon runs in a Docker Container, do I have to install HA using docker to be able to add and use this addon, or can I install HA through the RPi imager and then add this addon?

Sorry if this sounds a dumb question, but if you don’t know, ask.

Dizzwold.

Welcome to Home Assistant!

You may like to use search regarding your configuration. There are some threads that may help (example).

If you install with home assistant OS you will just install this addon using the details in the first post (you don’t need to install HA using docker, as the home assistant OS will manage the containers for you).

Hi Guys,
I seem to be having issues enabling the i2c.
Is there a complete guide to doing this with ssh from a mac terminal. When I say a complete guide, what I mean is exactly what to type to get to the correct files and to add the txt?
I’ve used ssh to [email protected], then pasted the following;

mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/mnt
mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/CONFIG/modules
echo -ne i2c-dev>/tmp/mnt/CONFIG/modules/rpi-i2c.conf
echo dtparam=i2c_vc=on >> /tmp/mnt/CONFIG/config.txt
echo dtparam=i2c_arm=on >> /tmp/mnt/CONFIG/config.txt
sync
reboot

I’ve changed sda1 to sdb1 and mmcblk0p1 and get the responselike the following stating no directory;
mount: mounting /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /tmp/mnt failed: No such file or directory
etc, I’ve completely powered down, and unplugged many times.
Is this anything to do with the following img?

I’ve also taken the whole thing apart, and with the usb Alien connector and a usb-a to usb-a connected the ssd to my mac, but can’t get into it to change anything. This is also how I installed HA through Balena onto the drive.
I’d be grateful for some help, I’m a little clueless with this.

Dizz.

HI Guy’s,

I think i have it installed now, but how do I check this?

I’m not using this add-on anymore as I’ve moved back to a container based install, but just update the configuration and change the trigger temperature to be lower than your current pi temperature and it should start the cooling fan.

Newb question, @BlackRose67, how do I find the temperature of my Pi and Is there a nice addon for this?

In 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS I just use

/usr/bin/vcgencmd measure_temp

But HassOS uses a different version of Linux under the hood and I’m not sure if that command would work from a console.

I modified my configuration.yaml file and have this at the bottom of my file within the sensor: area.

- platform: systemmonitor
    resources:
      - type: disk_use_percent
        arg: /config
      - type: disk_use
        arg: /
      - type: memory_free
      - type: processor_use
      - type: processor_temperature

Set the value to 30 or 35 and that should be low enough to test it.

Hey Adam
Recently got Argon m.2. Great script!!
I can’t seem to find a way to scrape the current temperature from the Argon HA.
My I2C is working correctly… I get the fan info
Have you figured out how to?
Using HA install on Pi4 64 bit bootable.
Thanks!

So first of all thanks to @adamoutler and @Znany for your i2c contribution.

I’ve added my own fork of this addon GitHub - TheHolyRoger/HassOSArgonOneAddon: A Home Assistant Addon for Argon One Fan Control. which also creates a separate temperature sensor as well as options so you can change the frequency of polling

Many thanks to you @TheHolyRoger.

I had an issue with the addon (either with the initial version from @adamoutler1 or with your fork) regarding the network access. I got an error
nc: socket(AF_INET,1,0): Permission denied
I’ve just fixed it by adding string “network,” into the apparmor profile. Would it be possible to inject this change on a permanent basis into the git repository?

What version of home assistant are you running? I don’t see that error here

I have been facing this issue for a while with several HA versions including the latest (2022.5.4 as of today). The problem was reproduced on two Pi4 with ArgonOne M.2 with identical HW&SW configuration. OS is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS 64bit, HA runs in supervised mode.

The fork from TheHolyRoger works fine for me, no probs

This is only tested in haos so far, from what I remember scanning through this thread adding more intents to apparmor reduces the ranking.

You might find that you can fix this with docker config, haos must add some permissions or something to get round this which supervised does not

First of all thank you for your work

I would like to be able to adjust the speed of the fan at certain times of the day.
For example, I would like the “LowRange” to be set at 50ºC during the night so that the fan would turn off during this period.
If this is possible, I would appreciate your help in configuring it.
Thank you very much

1 Like

For those that were concerned about the deprecation and removal of GPIO in 2022.6, I updated and the addon still works as intended. I didn’t install the RPI_GPIO custom component from hacs either

2 Likes