Arlo: replacement pyarlo module

@jwillaz
Hi,
I’m using virtenv for HA not docker or hass.io on the Pi (shouldn’t that work)?
Maybe I messed that up?
System Health

|arch|armv7l|
| --- | --- |
|dev|false|
|docker|false|
|hassio|false|
|os_name|Linux|
|python_version|3.5.3|
|timezone|America/New_York|
|version|0.91.4|
|virtualenv|true|

### Lovelace

|mode|storage|
| --- | --- |
|resources|1|
|views|7|

BTW: https://github.com/twrecked/hass-aarlo/tree/camera-stream (doesn’t exists)

Created a pull request to fix case sensitivity in play button code for glance card. Fixed streaming for me in a virtualenv

thanks, that will fix the play button, however, the ffmpeg on RPi doesn’t like rtsps streams. I’m in the process of building my own ffmpeg 4.x code for it.

Hi,

Absolutely loving aarlo and it’s working so much better for me as I run multiple Arlo base stations.

The only thing I cannot get working is arming one particular base station. Using the service call alarm_control_panel.aarlo_set_mode

I have specified the enitity_id but not sure where to specify the mode.

Can someone provide a basic automation config that sets just the default armed profile? I can then work from there!

Thank you!

Craig

You specify as part of the request:

{
  "entity_id":"alarm_control_panel.aarlo_base",
  "mode":"your-mode-name"
}

I’m sorry, I don’t have an automation handy that does this but you can try it from the Developer Tools/Services sub menu.

If you are just arming/disarming you can use the standard service calls.

I always defined the different modes “away”, “night” and “home” in the configuration.yaml and then you only have to call the services alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away (with the entity_id) to arm the “away” mode and so on. So there is a specific service for each mode. And the modes need to be defined in configuration.yaml. But I have to admit that I’m not using the latest version of the aarlo component.

By the way: Any news on streaming in Hassio on HassOS?

@sherrell
I finally got streaming to work on my RPi with HA virtualenv

I modified RPi Mike’s script which is originally located here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=199775
(i cannot attach my script - inlined below)

1. I rebuilt ffmpeg (4.0.2) from source using my RPi Mike’s modified script, after removing any packages already installed ie; ffmpeg, libavutil, libavcodec, libavformat, libavdevice, libavfilter, libswscale, libswresample, and libpostproc and their corresponding -dev variants, if any, ie; libavformat-dev).

2. That was not enough, as HA issued an missing shared library error (libavdevice.so.57). So, I created the missing library by symlinking it to my existing version libeavdevice.so.58. This lead to HA producing this error during streaming:
    ImportError: /usr/lib/libavdevice.so.57: version LIBAVDEVICE_57’ not found (required by /srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/av/_core.cpython-35m-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so)`

3. I rebuilt the python av 6.1.2 library (PyAV - av-6.1.2.tar.gz) and installed it all within my HA virtualenv (ie; source bin/activate; python setup.py build; python setup.py install) [you could probably just modify your non-virtual python installation to get docker and hass.io working; but i don’t know that much about those]

Doing all 3 steps have fixed my issue and live-streaming now works.

TODO: Build the latest ffmpeg and see if things keep working.

inlined script
#!/bin/bash

# change this if you want a different user
export USER_PATH=${HOME}

##### Vidware_Downloads: My script philosophy is to keep things clean and simple. That's why my first step is to create 3 different folders to keep the main elements of my script completely separate from each other. Before anything can be built, we first have to download 6 files in the form of "stable release tarballs". This is the raw source code my script will use to build the 6 programs. We also need 4 GPU-related files from the Raspberry Pi Foundation's official GitHub site that provide OpenGL ES and EGL support (they allow mpv to "talk" to the Raspberry's VideoCore GPU and thus facilitate hardware acceleration). Finally, we need a "waf" file that will allow us to build mpv. All of this will go inside the "Vidware_Downloads" folder – which we're creating with the mkdir command:

mkdir Vidware_Downloads

##### Vidware_Build: This is the folder where all our "building" will take place – the folder where the raw source code of 6 programs will be compiled and transformed into working software. The "primary" programs are FFmpeg and mpv. But my script also builds a mandatory library called libass – a subtitle renderer that mpv requires. It also builds an advanced H.264 video encoder (x264) and two advanced audio encoders (Fraunhofer AAC and LAME MP3):

mkdir Vidware_Build

##### Vidware_Packages: This folder will remain empty until the very end of the script. When the script is about 95% complete, all 6 programs will be fully built, installed, and "packaged". These packages are free-standing Debian installers (commonly known as .deb files). What makes these so incredibly useful is that at any time, you can use them to automatically install (or re-install) all the programs on another Raspberry or your existing Raspberry in the future – IN ONLY ONE MINUTE! No scripts or "building" required! My script will conveniently place all of them in the Vidware_Packages folder – so be sure to back them up to a safe place!

mkdir Vidware_Packages

##### I've discovered an odd quirk about checkinstall: If we don't manually create a standard usr doc path before running it, checkinstall will fail to install some of our programs. This affects the LAME MP3 encoder – but not having the path up to "doc" also affects FFmpeg (even if you don't build or install LAME). This command line takes care of that:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/doc/lame

##### You'll see a lot of "echo" commands in my script. Why? Because I like VISUAL SEPARATION. A simple echo command inserts a blank line in Terminal's output:

echo; echo

##### The echo command is also the tool I'm using to "print" information on the Terminal screen – such as letting the user know that we're about to download the tarballs. I also "pipe" the output of echo through the "fold" command with the "-s" option. This ensures my longer sentences are properly "word wrapped" and that my words aren't abruptly cut in half when they hit the edge of your Terminal screen:

echo "------------------------------"
echo "Now downloading the source code tarballs and other essential files for building FFmpeg, mpv, and the 3 advanced encoders. At a connection speed of 1 MB per second, it will take less than 20 seconds." | fold -s
echo

##### We're about to download all the files that the script needs. It may look like a lot, but the grand total is less than 18 MB! This is quite impressive when you consider that FFmpeg alone contains more than one MILLION lines of source code! Before we do the downloads, however, we need to change our current working directory to the Vidware_Downloads folder with the cd command:

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Downloads

##### This is where my script downloads the 11 files it needs. At the time of this writing – August 2018 – all URLs link to the most recent versions available. Be careful if you think you can simply update these links to get even more recent versions in the future! Other parts of my script make specific assumptions about these particular versions. So unless you fully understand all aspects of my script, you definitely don't want to do that!

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-4.0.2.tar.bz2

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/archive/v0.29.0.tar.gz

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/libass/libass/releases/download/0.14.0/libass-0.14.0.tar.gz

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://download.videolan.org/x264/snapshots/x264-snapshot-20180831-2245-stable.tar.bz2

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://downloads.sourceforge.net/opencore-amr/fdk-aac-0.1.6.tar.gz

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://downloads.sourceforge.net/lame/lame-3.100.tar.gz

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/hardfp/opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/hardfp/opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/hardfp/opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig/glesv2.pc

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/raw/master/hardfp/opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig/egl.pc

wget -q --show-progress --no-use-server-timestamps https://waf.io/waf-2.0.9

##### For backup purposes – and for mental clarity – I deliberately decided not to "wget" the files directly into their ultimate destinations. Instead, I wanted all the downloads to first be consolidated into the Vidware_Downloads folder – and then copy them over, later on, into wherever they need to be. So that's what I'm doing here. Sudo is required, by the way, because the opt parent folder (and its children) are owned by user "root", not "pi". If we didn't add the "sudo", we would get a "permission denied" error:

sudo cp libGLESv2.so /opt/vc/lib

sudo cp libEGL.so /opt/vc/lib

sudo cp glesv2.pc /opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig

sudo cp egl.pc /opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig

##### The script downloaded version 2.0.9 of waf (the version that mpv 0.29.0 expects). But mpv also expects the file to simply be named "waf", not "waf-2.0.9". That's why I'm renaming it here with the mv command. Finally, since waf is a Python script that needs to be executed in order to build mpv, I'm using the chmod command to make it executable by the user that owns the file (which in this case is the user named pi):

mv waf-2.0.9 waf

chmod u+x waf

##### This makes an exact copy of our 6 source code tarballs (for FFmpeg, mpv, etc.) and places them inside the Vidware_Build folder. Some of the tarballs end in tar.gz, while others end in tar.bz2 – hence the 2 separate lines:

cp *.gz ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build

cp *.bz2 ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build

##### We're pretty much all done with the Vidware_Downloads folder at this point – so we now need to make sure the script is performing its actions inside the Vidware_Build folder. That's why we cd into it. We then need to "unzip" the 6 source code tarballs into folders – that's what the 2 "ls" lines with the xargs command does (for technical reasons, you can't use a simple asterisk wildcard to unzip multiple tarballs in the same folder). Finally, I delete all the tarballs in the build folder with the rm command. Why? Because we already have the original copy of them in our Vidware_Downloads folder – so there's no reason to clutter things up with duplicate tarballs!

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build

ls *.gz | xargs -n1 tar xzf

ls *.bz2 | xargs -n1 tar jxf

rm *.gz

rm *.bz2

##### I don't want to keep seeing "fdk-aac-0.1.6" as the source code folder name, for example. That's just confusing. Instead, I just want to see "aac" – because that's what it really is. It's the AAC audio encoder! That's why I'm simplifying all the source code folder names by renaming them with the mv command:

mv ffmpeg* ffmpeg

mv mpv* mpv

mv x264* x264

mv fdk* aac

mv lame* mp3

mv libass* libass

##### We can now copy over the waf file into the mpv source code folder:

cp ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Downloads/waf ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv

##### This is where we install the dependencies we need to build all 6 pieces of software – via "sudo apt-get install". Read my statement in the echo line for more detail:

echo; echo
echo "Now downloading and installing the dependencies – essential packages from the official Raspbian repository that are needed to build the programs. At a connection speed of 1 MB per second, it will take less than 50 seconds to download. It will then take about 5 minutes for your system to install all the packages." | fold -s
echo

sudo apt-get install -y automake checkinstall libsdl2-dev libva-dev libluajit-5.1-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libtool libvdpau-dev libxcb-shm0-dev texinfo libfontconfig1-dev libfribidi-dev python-docutils libbluray-dev libjpeg-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libgnutls28-dev linux-headers-rpi2 libomxil-bellagio-dev xdotool libcdio-cdda-dev libcdio-paranoia-dev libdvdread-dev libdvdnav-dev libbluray-dev

##### This begins the "software building" phase of my script. We're configuring and compiling the source code for our first program – the advanced x264 video encoder. That's what people mean by "building" a program. In the "./configure" line, we're enabling and disabling various options that will customize the build in the manner necessary for everything to work. We then compile the program with the "make -j4" command – which is quite impressive given that the "j4" means that all 4 cores inside the Raspberry's CPU will be computing simultaneously! For more information on how to use the encoders with FFmpeg, please see my extremely detailed appendices. After the x264 encoder is fully built, I use the checkinstall command to both install the program and "package it up" into the extremely useful .deb installer packages I mentioned earlier. The final line – sudo ldconfig – is essential in making sure the "shared libraries" are properly recognized.

echo; echo
echo "Now building the x264 video encoder. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/x264

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --disable-opencl --extra-cflags="-march=armv8-a+crc -mfpu=neon-fp-armv8 -mtune=cortex-a53"

make -j4

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname x264 --pkgversion 0.155 make install

sudo ldconfig

##### We now move on to build and install the Fraunhofer AAC audio encoder. I don't need to say much here because I already described the basic outline of the "building from source code" process in my above comments about the x264 encoder.

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now building the Fraunhofer AAC audio encoder. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/aac

./autogen.sh

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared

make -j4

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname fdk-aac --pkgversion 0.1.6 make install

sudo ldconfig

##### Now we build and install the LAME MP3 audio encoder:

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now building the LAME MP3 audio encoder. This will take about 1 minute." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mp3

make -j4

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname mp3lame --pkgversion 3.100 make install

sudo ldconfig

##### Now we build and install the libass subtitle renderer (mpv will not work without this software library):

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now building the libass subtitle renderer. This will take about 1 minute." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/libass

make -j4

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname libass --pkgversion 0.14.0 make install

sudo ldconfig

##### Now we build and install FFmpeg! This is the very powerful media "engine" at the center of everything we're doing. The last 3 "--enable" lines under "./configure" enable FFmpeg to access the 3 advanced encoders – x264, Fraunhofer AAC, and LAME MP3. Compiling a million+ lines of code is INTENSE and could easily overheat your CPU. Your Raspberry must therefore have its own small fan or an external fan blowing on it. Please see the explicit warnings on this subject in my instructions!

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now preparing to build FFmpeg. This will take about 2 minutes." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/ffmpeg

./configure \
--prefix=/usr \
--enable-gpl \
--enable-nonfree \
--enable-shared \
--enable-libtheora \
--enable-libvorbis \
--enable-omx \
--enable-omx-rpi \
--enable-mmal \
--enable-libxcb \
--enable-libfreetype \
--enable-libass \
--enable-gnutls \
--disable-opencl \
--enable-libcdio \
--enable-libbluray \
--extra-cflags="-march=armv8-a+crc -mfpu=neon-fp-armv8 -mtune=cortex-a53" \
--enable-libx264 \
--enable-libfdk-aac \
--enable-libmp3lame

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now building FFmpeg. This will take about 24 minutes on the Raspberry 3B+ (and 2 or 3 minutes longer on the 3B)." | fold -s
echo

make -j4

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now installing FFmpeg. This will take about 7 minutes." | fold -s
echo

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname ffmpeg --pkgversion 4.0.2 make install

sudo ldconfig

##### Now we build and install mpv. Unlike the prior builds which were fairly straightforward, I'll add a few extra comments here – because I had to do quite a bit of arcane tweaking to successfully "port" mpv to the Raspberry platform with full GPU-based hardware acceleration.

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now preparing to build mpv. This will take about 1 minute." | fold -s
echo

cd ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv

##### In this section, I'm using the sed command to manipulate mpv's raw source code before we build it. The first edit specifically targets line 767 of mpv's wscript file. The wscript file contains the "building instructions" for mpv. There are more than 1,100 lines of code in the file, but only 18 of them are directly related to the Raspberry. The line I'm editing makes reference to a generic OpenGL ES "linkflag". With the sed command, I'm doing a "search & replace" so that it will now make reference to the Broadcom-specific version of the linkflag (Broadcom is the manufacturer of the Raspberry's VideoCore GPU). Beginning with the next line, I delete an entire stanza (13 lines) of audio-related source code and then replace it with 20 lines of modified and expanded code. Specifically, it affects how mpv interacts with the ALSA framework. Without this change, mpv would throw various audio-related "[ao/alsa]" errors. Hat tip: My ALSA source code patch combines the ideas of mpv contributor "orbea" and user "yumkam" on mpv's official GitHub site. And then we have the final sed line – it serves absolutely no purpose other than to give a bit of credit to yours truly!

sed -i_BACKUP '767s|GLESv2|brcmGLESv2|g' ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv/wscript

sed -i_BACKUP '939,951d' ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv/audio/out/ao_alsa.c

sed -i '939i\
\
\
static int get_space(struct ao *ao)\
{\
int err;\
struct priv *p = ao->priv;\
\
snd_pcm_state_t state = snd_pcm_state(p->alsa);\
snd_pcm_sframes_t space = state == SND_PCM_STATE_SETUP || state == SND_PCM_STATE_PAUSED\
? p->buffersize : snd_pcm_avail(p->alsa);\
if (space < 0) {\
if (space == -EPIPE) { // EOF\
err = snd_pcm_prepare(p->alsa);\
CHECK_ALSA_ERROR("pcm recover error");\
return p->buffersize;\
}\
\
MP_ERR(ao, "Error received from snd_pcm_avail (%ld, %s)!\\n",\
space, snd_strerror(space));\
\
// request a reload of the AO if device is not present,\
// then error out.\
\
' ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv/audio/out/ao_alsa.c

sed -i_BACKUP '143s|built on|built by the RPi_Mike script on|g' ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build/mpv/player/main.c

##### The next 3 lines temporarily define the proper paths for 3 "environmental variables". Without these, mpv will not compile.

export LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig

export CPATH=/opt/vc/include

##### This next section is fairly straightforward. This is where we build and install mpv! The only noteworthy point is that instead of using the "make" system to do our building like all the other programs in this script, we're using the "waf" system. That simply reflects the preferences of the mpv developers.

./waf configure --prefix=/usr --enable-rpi --enable-cdda --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdnav --enable-libbluray --enable-libmpv-shared

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now building mpv. This will take about 2 minutes." | fold -s
echo

./waf build -j4

echo; echo; echo
echo "Now installing mpv. This will take about 1 minute." | fold -s
echo

sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname mpv --pkgversion 0.29.0 ./waf install

sudo ldconfig

##### This is where we create mpv's configuration file that controls how mpv behaves with ALL video and audio. Please see the full version of Appendix 1 for details; also see the testing section for commentary on the "ytdl-format" line. NOTE: The "alsa-buffer-time" completes the fix to the ALSA issue I described earlier. It defines an audio buffer time of 800,000 microseconds (8/10 of a second). Through extensive testing, I found that this was the final step needed to get mpv and ALSA to play nice together.

mkdir -p ${USER_PATH}/.config/mpv

echo "--fullscreen
rpi-background=yes
screenshot-format=png
ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?1080][fps<=?30][vcodec!=?vp9]+bestaudio/best
--alsa-buffer-time=800000" > ${USER_PATH}/.config/mpv/mpv.conf

##### I didn't want users of my script to have to go through the 10-step "Open With" process in File Manager – over and over again – to associate every common type of video and audio file with mpv. So to save everyone a lot of time and eliminate this error-prone task, my script does it automatically! The first line demonstrates proper "etiquette" – before it creates the new associations, it first backs up your original mimeapps.list file (just in case you'd like to review or re-add your initial file associations). I then associate the following video and audio file types with mpv: MP4, WebM, MKV, TS, MOV, AVI, WMV, MPG, WAV, MP3, M4A, and FLAC.

cp ${USER_PATH}/.config/mimeapps.list ${USER_PATH}/.config/mimeapps.list_BACKUP &> /dev/null

echo "[Added Associations]
video/mp4=mpv.desktop;
video/webm=mpv.desktop;
video/x-matroska=mpv.desktop;
video/mp2t=mpv.desktop;
video/quicktime=mpv.desktop;
video/x-msvideo=mpv.desktop;
video/x-ms-wmv=mpv.desktop;
video/mpeg=mpv.desktop;
audio/x-wav=mpv.desktop;
audio/mpeg=mpv.desktop;
audio/mp4=mpv.desktop;
audio/flac=mpv.desktop;
text/plain=leafpad.desktop;

[Default Applications]
video/mp4=mpv.desktop
video/webm=mpv.desktop
video/x-matroska=mpv.desktop
video/mp2t=mpv.desktop
video/quicktime=mpv.desktop
video/x-msvideo=mpv.desktop
video/x-ms-wmv=mpv.desktop
video/mpeg=mpv.desktop
audio/x-wav=mpv.desktop
audio/mpeg=mpv.desktop
audio/mp4=mpv.desktop
audio/flac=mpv.desktop
text/plain=leafpad.desktop

[Removed Associations]" > ${USER_PATH}/.config/mimeapps.list

##### Raspbian places its overall file association "system" in 2 separate locations. The items above act as a kind of pointer to the item below. The two work hand-in-hand. The following stanza generates a special kind of file known as a "desktop" file that ends with the ".desktop" extension – but also has an "alias" (in this case, "MPV") and an executable line that tells it what to do. My complicated use of bash -c and xdotool is the result of hours of testing – to guarantee that you never lose keyboard control of mpv, due to other windows stealing "focus" from mpv's Terminal window. You see, mpv relies upon an active Terminal window "behind the screen" to detect the keyboard inputs which allow you to control the video or audio being played. Of course, if you actively do things to lose keyboard control – like hitting alt + tab or randomly clicking the screen with your mouse – there's nothing I can do about that!

echo "[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=MPV
Exec=lxterminal -t mpv_control -e bash -c \"sleep 0.25; xdotool search --name mpv_control windowactivate; mpv %f\"
NoDisplay=true
Icon=mpv" > ${USER_PATH}/.local/share/applications/mpv.desktop

##### This section "pins" the advanced versions of the programs my script just built. Without doing this, anytime you run a standard system update via "sudo apt-get upgrade" or "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", the Raspbian package manager might wrongly think the newly-built programs are old and therefore need to be "upgraded". They might then be overwritten with the older, more primitive versions that exist in the Raspbian repository! Pinning them, in effect, says to your system's packager manager: "Don't touch these programs – leave them alone!" As per standard etiquette, I first back up your preferences file – on the remote chance you've been pinning other packages. Hat tip to "rpdom" for his pinning suggestion.

sudo cp /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences_BACKUP &> /dev/null

echo "Package: ffmpeg
Pin: version 4.0.2-1
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: mpv
Pin: version 0.29.0-1

Package: x264
Pin: version 0.155-1

Package: fdk-aac
Pin: version 0.1.6-1

Package: mp3lame
Pin: version 3.100-1

Package: libass
Pin: version 0.14.0-1
Pin-Priority: 1001" | sudo cp /dev/stdin /etc/apt/preferences

sudo chmod 644 /etc/apt/preferences

##### In some ways, this next section just might be the coolest part of the entire script. That's because it takes the TRILLIONS of computations the script just performed – distilled into 6 tiny packages – and neatly places them in the Vidware_Packages folder. They contain everything you need to reconstitute all the programs on any Raspberry 3B or 3B+ IN ONLY 1 MINUTE! So when the script is all done and the demonstration video has played, be sure to back up the 6 .deb files to a safe location.

echo; echo; echo
echo "Almost finished! The Debian package files are now in the Vidware_Packages folder. You can use them at any time in the future to install all the programs my script just built! Now downloading youtube-dl and a brief 1080p demonstration video from YouTube. All of this should take less than 2 minutes. After the looped video starts playing, feel free to press the q key to quit." | fold -s
echo

find ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Build -name '*.deb' -exec mv -t ${USER_PATH}/Vidware_Packages {} +

##### This final section does 3 simple things: First, it downloads and installs the latest version of youtube-dl. If you already have it on your system, it will upgrade it (if necessary). If you don't have it, it will make sure you that you do. At that point, youtube-dl will download a very brief 1080p demonstration video from YouTube. And then comes the final act – mpv will play the video several times in a loop! Press q to quit at any time.

sudo pip install --upgrade youtube_dl

echo; echo

cd ${USER_PATH}

youtube-dl -f 137+140 --no-mtime -o Neutron_Stars_Colliding_1080p.mp4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Akn8fUBeQ

echo; echo

mpv -version

echo

mpv --loop=9 Neutron_Stars_Colliding_1080p.mp4
1 Like

Anyone have any idea how to overcome this error? I’m not seeing any of my camera entities.

Fri Apr 26 2019 07:57:36 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Error while setting up platform aarlo
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 126, in _async_setup_platform
SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 416, in wait_for
return fut.result()
File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/camera.py”, line 97, in async_setup_platform
cameras.append( ArloCam(hass, camera, config) )
File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/camera.py”, line 146, in init
self._ffmpeg = hass.data[DATA_FFMPEG]
KeyError: ‘ffmpeg’

I am having some issues when my alarm_control_panel, receiving this error. Seem like it works on some restarts.

2019-04-26 08:25:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 363, in _async_add_entity
await entity.async_added_to_hass()
File “/home/hass/homeassistant/custom_components/aarlo/alarm_control_panel.py”, line 107, in async_added_to_hass
self._state = self._get_state_from_mode( self._base.attribute( ‘activeMode’ ) )
File “/home/hass/homeassistant/custom_components/aarlo/alarm_control_panel.py”, line 160, in _get_state_from_mode
lmode = mode.lower()

After receiving this error, trying to set a custom mode results in this in the logs:

2019-04-26 08:40:16 WARNING (MainThread) [pyaarlo] Base Station: mode armed_home is unrecognised

I have the alarm control panel set up without the “home_mode_name” and “away_mode_name” set, just trying to use custom modes. I had a bunch of different issues with setting those options.

It looks like you’re trying to pass the wrong mode name in to the base station. Can you get some other debug from the logs? It will appear shorty after restart and look something like this:

2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] mode0<==>disarmed
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeIdToName/mode0=disarmed
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeNameToId/disarmed=mode0
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] mode1<==>armed
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeIdToName/mode1=armed
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeNameToId/armed=mode1
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] mode2<==>SmartThings
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeIdToName/mode2=SmartThings
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeNameToId/smartthings=mode2
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] mode3<==>Home
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeIdToName/mode3=Home
2019-04-25 14:01:03 DEBUG (ArloBackgroundWorker) [pyaarlo] set:XXXXXXXXXXXX/modeNameToId/home=mode3

This will tell me what modes you have defined on your base station.

Are you on the latest version? I’ve never seen that before but it might be the manifest file change.

Many apologies, I missed something out of the manifest file. Can you update and try again?

(edit: add manifest note)

Maybe try setting the desired modes in the Arlo app first and then check in Home Assistant what the exact internal name for this mode is. You should be able to see this under Developer tools → States. I discovered that the mode names sometimes do not match those names in the Arlo app.

works again! thank you so much!

Looks like I’m missing those log entries in mine. I think the first error I mentioned is where they would be but for whatever reason, it errors out. If I manually change the mode inside the arlo website I can see the traffic in packet.dumps so I know its seeing traffic:

{ ‘[DEVICEID]’: { ‘activeModes’: [‘mode3’],
‘activeSchedules’: ,
‘timestamp’: 1556290198661},

It’s like its failing to initialize the base station for some reason. It creates the entities but none of the services work. The attributes are correct, including the device id but the state is “unknown”. I only have the default modes plus one called “armed_away” and one called “armed_home”. I also have a baby monitor with just the default modes. I can see the error mentioned twice, one for each control panel.
Any thoughts?

Thank you! All working :slight_smile:

Have one more questions, do the cameras take regular snapshots? Can the frequency be changed and/or stopped unless a manual one is taken?

Thank you!

Craig

Hi, I’m new to all this but I’ve managed to get this working with my arlo cameras thanks to this forum, many thanx for that. I would like to see the latest capture date&time in the card somewhere, is that possible? If I keep the mouse over the picture I see it.

Thanx in advance
//Macke

This is my error:

Error while setting up platform aarlo
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 126, in _async_setup_platform
SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 416, in wait_for
return fut.result()
File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/camera.py”, line 97, in async_setup_platform
cameras.append( ArloCam(hass, camera, config) )
File “/config/custom_components/aarlo/camera.py”, line 146, in init
self._ffmpeg = hass.data[DATA_FFMPEG]
KeyError: ‘ffmpeg’

Why?
Solution?

@c-scoot The cameras don’t take regular snapshots but the image will update if:

• the camera is armed, set to record and motion is detected
  • you click the snapshot button in Home Assistant or the Arlo app

@danielsjoo I checked in an incorrect manifest.json file, can you update and try again?

@Macke If you are using the aarlo-glance card you can use image_date in the show section. top_date: true will put it at the top.

show:
    - motion
    - snapshot
    - signal_strength
    - captured_today
    - battery_level
    - image_date
top_date: true
2 Likes

Thank you @sherrell for this - it’s really good and you’re doing a brilliant job supporting people here.

I had a problem with the old component that I was hoping this new one would fix: I renamed some of my cameras (so e.g. “Back” became “Garage”) in the Arlo UI, but in Home Assistant it’s still using the old names (e.g. “Battery Level Back”).

Since both arlo and aarlo have this problem, I’m guessing the Arlo name is fixed from when the camera was set up and that when I rename it in the UI that’s just changing an alias. Does that make sense?

Is there some way in Home Assistant / aarlo to override camera names for the UI? It’s quite confusing right now because I’ve moved the cameras around to different parts of the house so the names are quite wrong (e.g. “Drive” is actually in the rear garden!).

@optilude I have the same issue, as I buy new cameras I move the old ones around, a quick scan of the logs shows the name still coming from Arlo but it may be the way I ask for the devices. For now customize.yaml should work, the following is an example entry:

sensor.aarlo_battery_level_shed:
    friendly_name: Battery Level Basement