Arlo Support (Sponsorship)

Hey tchellomello,

Do you know if there is a way of getting push alerts from motion and such through their private API?

I would be happy to test but unsure how to do so outside of HA. I have pulled your initial package to display my Arlo Pro cameras latest snapshots in HA. Would I need to update that or how to I proceed?

@tchellomello

Im loving your work as been trying to think about intergating arlo int HA for a while

i have copied the above code for the ymal after doing the commands on my pi but am getting this error

17-05-02 13:48:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up config
Failed config
General Errors:
- Platform not found: camera.arlo

Successful config (partial)

can you help ??

Hello @Paul_Duggins,

Thanks but there are still room for improvements. Once think that has been fixed on a newer version is that the URL will be refreshed when expired. Iā€™m putting other stuff together before sending out the new version to be tested.
For now it seems that you donā€™t have the custom arlo component on your configuration directory.
Make sure you have executed the steps below besides having the yaml configuration in place.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Many thanks @tchellomello

I did run the above commands before but when I checked the directory wasnā€™t there

I had to manually create the folder and then ran the install and now the camera pic is there.

Many thanks

I will now try and digest the rest of the thread to see what developments you have done since and what more I can add to give it more functionality

Iā€™m trying to get this to work. Is there any thing else needed beyond the arlo.py file in the custom_components dir?

Iā€™m running on Docker, so my custom_components dir is in the my config folder. but when I add the arlo to my config, I get this error:

17-05-04 10:40:10 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [camera]: required key not provided @ data[ā€˜platformā€™]. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 128). Please check the docs at https://home-assistant.io/components/camera/

It seems you are forgetting the platform definition on your configuration.yaml

Can you share your configuration.yaml file?

Thank you, I like this and working great with my cameraā€™s.
I would like to know where the snapshots are stored. I am looking into a way to send the latest snapshot through Telegram by a trigger. Looking forward to the next version.

This is what I have in my configuration.yaml, under my other mjpeg cameras.

camera Arlo:
  platfrom: arlo
  username: user@name
  password: XXXXXXXX

Iā€™m pretty sure this is an issue with docker. I had a old RPI sitting around at work, and loaded hassbian on it, and add the same thing to the configuration.yaml on there, with the custom_component, and it loaded fine.

Hello @tube0013, it seems the problem is on the definition.
Assuming you are editing the configuration.yaml file, try this:

#configuration.yaml
camera:
  - platform: arlo
    username: user@name
    password: secret

Let us know if worked.

I setup a python3 virtualenv, activated it, and installed the latest pyarlo environment with pip3. Unfortunately when I try to use this environment with the latest library I donā€™t get any output. No errors, no output at all. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks. That didnā€™t work either. Iā€™m certain this is a issue with my docker install and HA not finding the custom_components dir.

Does anyone know if this works for Arlo Q cameraā€™s? I just installed it but iā€™m not seeing anything showing up HASS.

Arlo Q support is added in pyarlo 0.0.2. I believe hass is pegged against 0.0.1.

Hello guys,
Iā€™m putting together some sensors for Arlo too Iā€™ve been running for a couple of days without any issues.
Iā€™m going to post here the branch then you can test too. If that works for you guys, then we can put the official PR on HA.
Iā€™ll try to finish it tonight or tomorrow then we can test it.
Thanks to you all guys.
mmello

1 Like

Thanks for the update, for some reason the arlo q isnā€™t working for me right now in hass, havent had time to investigate.

Hello guys,

After some work and testing it for about a week here is the release candidate for our first official Arlo component version to be supported on Home Assistant. Iā€™ve added the Arlo code on a custom 0.44.2 branch so then you can test without having to install the devel or any manual custom files.
To install it, you can run:

pip install  git+https://github.com/tchellomello/home-assistant@arlo_0.44.2 --upgrade

Then you can configure the Arlo component as follow:

#configuration.yaml
arlo:
  username: arlo@username
  password: arlo_password

camera:

sensor: 

This new version should load the ArloQ cameras too. Besides the cameras, it will display 3 sensors.

• A sensor that brings the number of total videos captured per camera by day,
  • A sensor that display the total number of cameras linked on the Arlo account
  • A sensor that reports the timestamp from the last capture per camera within the last 180 days

Here is a screenshot from what you should expect:

Please note that 2 of my cameras are showing as unknown because they are offiline for more than 180 days. I replaced them by 2 Amcrest cameras. Also notice that ā€œCaptured Todayā€ is showing 0 because is just about passed midnight, so I have not captured anything yet.

The action items for this component is to play the last captured video when clicking over the image displayed from the last captured as we are trying to discover how to load the live streaming feed as reported at https://github.com/tchellomello/python-arlo/issues/8

Please let me know if that works, then I can send the official PR to HA if that works fine for you.

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing from you.
Marcelo

1 Like

Thank you for your continued work on this!

I was able to get things running with your instructions. I needed a few tweaks, though:

• After following your install instructions the Arlo component failed to load because the required dependency pyarlo == 0.0.3 couldnā€™t be found.

• I went to your pyarlo Github page and manually installed the latest dev using pip in my environment.

• However, your latest dev is 0.0.4. So I hacked homeassistant/components/arlo.py to require 0.0.4 and everything seems ok.

• I also went on the safe side and removed your earlier work from my custom_components directory. Some of the other early adopters may want to do this as well.

I see the Arlo sensor circles in my UI but not the Arlo card. One other question - do we have a way to set/get mode yet?

Excellent work and thank you again!

Hello @krisk,

You were faster than me. I just published the library and updated the code. So if you repeat the steps it should be fine now :slight_smile:

The Arlo card, Iā€™ve created a group. For example:

#groups.yaml
arlo:
  name: Arlo
  entities:
    - sensor.arlo_last_front_door
    - sensor.arlo_last_garage
    - sensor.arlo_last_patio
    - sensor.arlo_last_patio_gate
    - sensor.arlo_captured_today_front_door
    - sensor.arlo_captured_today_garage
    - sensor.arlo_captured_today_patio
    - sensor.arlo_captured_today_patio_gate
    - sensor.arlo_total_arlo_cameras
    - camera.arlo_garage

Regarding your question about the set mode, the library already supports it. we Just need to modify the UI to support it, however Iā€™m not very good with the UI and JS. The way we can workaround is creating a python script that sets the mode and then you can create and call it as a command_line sensor.

Please let me know if worked fine.

@krisk I just tested one more time and the steps I listed before worked as expected without any manual change.

Please let me know if the sensors will update during the tests and any update necessary.

Thanks