AsusWRT monitoring WAN

Hi, does anyone use the official ASUSWRT integration? I would like to monitor the traffic in and out of the WAN but it doesn’t seem to work (I set eth0 in the integration configuration on home assistant). I have an asus rt-ax58u router

Now that some else has confirmed it’s not just my router, an issue should probably be opened on github. Doesn’t look like there is one open for this issue yet.

I’ve since started testing a new custom asus integration.. so I don’t have ASUSWRT set up right now. The new integration works I think there’s still a few bugs to be worked out. Not quite as stable as the native integration ye (some stuff going on in the logs), doesn’t support cpu temp sensors.

Here’s a good thread talking about the differences.

1 Like

How many “eth” do you see in the integration ?

Edit: your router has more than 1 “eth” , beside you might have to “enable” the sensors you want to receive info from

Thanks for your help, it is encouraging to know that you are not the only one with this problem.
I have activated the sensors that measure the traffic, in the settings I have tried from eth0 to eth6 but it does not work with any interface

Well, to be honest i just tested them, when i initially installed the “integration”, after i disabled most, as they didn’t really “delivered” any valuable info (in my opinion) , i.e the 3 sensors “average load”, 1min, 5min, and 15min, should/could have been “variable” instead, the speed-sensors (any speed sensors for that matter) is just a huge redundant usage consuming gimmick :), and the Download/Upload measures in GB ! … so i actually don’t know what they author had in mind with these sensors.
I only use the “Connected-Devices-sensor”, tracker, "

PS: i just, yesterday enabled the Download/Upload and Average Load(1,5,15min), just to verify your “concerns” , Average-Load-Sensors seems to work, thou if you dont have “extensive” traffic in/out on your Wan-Nic, they will all be constant very low ( is on mine even when chosen ALL eth’s )… And Temperature-Sensors work fine … How ever Download/Upload( i assume they are what you are referring to) … they doesn’t seems to work anymore, or i “forgot” how it suppose to work :slight_smile:

I actually let my Router take care of the analyses(when needed) Don’t wanna load my HA with this info, as the sensors in the Integration(as mentioned) don’t actually provide what i would like to see :slight_smile:
You can enable Telnet, and that way get access to almost everything your GUI in the Router gives you, thou that also depends on how much time you want to spend on reading/setting up/creating your own “sensors”

3rd Way forward is FR, if someone would have the time/interest in adding suggested sensors

EDIT: Below is my RealTime “traffic” (On the Router, chosen to view in KB/s VS GB/s) note the “count” when viewing GB !

So i guess, it’s not really a “BUG”, it’s just a weird example of having a “traffic-sensor / download-upload” in an integration measuring in GB, instead of having the choices to choose measurement :slight_smile:

I bet the Guy who made this integration is a “Gamer” and was eager to monitor his online traffic in GB :grin: , not with Home-Automation in mind

Edit: Just noticed i had “Wired” chosen, not WAN, which is even less, and this(if this is the Upload/Download HA-Sensor) does only have the choice to “monitor” ( real-time, 24-Hours, Daily ), thou actually the sensor says it’s “total_increasing” So i guess the Download/Upload-sensors are not “real-time” sensors.

EDIT: 2 I believe this is where the “problems” is … state_class: total_increasing With “unit” GB, not that i think KB/MB would have made a change :slight_smile:
… Im total_lost , have no idea howto make this sensor showing anything … they might have “Forgotten” this Integration in the latest couple of updates

Done

1 Like

Hey you guys tried AsusRouter? It is working fine for me since a while and if correctly understood what you are trying to monitor it is available there.

;), i “turned” over to AsusRouter shortly after this incident, as i really got the feeling that AsusWrt was poor maintained/neglected, there was 1 guy who “stepped in” (AsusWrt:Custom) and tried to extend/improve the default AsusWrt, but maybe he ran into “wall” , nothing much seems to have change in that default-ha integration.

And i certainly just Voted on [Vaskivskyi]'s AsusRouter which you linked to above.
Just the fact that “We” have a dedicated person, who is deeply engaged in, and care for the integration, and it’s users is more than “A Bonus”
I’ts so nice to follow the constant new updates, and fast fixes/features

1 Like