August Smart Lock Pro zwave timeout

Glad to know it’s not just me. I have seen a few post on the forums by people saying that the lock was working fine.

I didn’t believe that the change to the config file would address my issue. I just wanted the hardware to be identified properly. Glad to know it’s been updated though.

I haven’t had a chance to contact August yet. But they do seem willing to help when I called them asking about the latest firmware issue. Hopefully they can help me. I don’t think there is much the HA devs can do. To me, this seems like an OZW issue. But given all the Z-wave users here, I was hoping somebody may be able to give a push in the right direction.

I finally figured this out. Turns out somehow the NetworkKey never got set in the options.xml. I thought this whole time I was was using Zwave Plus and securely adding my nodes that supported it. Turns out I wasn’t. When HA tried to poll a command class that required Zwave Plus the device would just time out instead of responding with an some type of error the ZWP was required to access a specific command class.

Thanks for this info. I had the same exact problem with my August lock, then added network_key to configuration.yaml, but saw the key wasn’t in options.xml so I uncommented the network_key section and added it in. Now the August lock is properly detected in Home Assistant.

So I am having a similar issue that just started a couple weeks ago. For some reason, the lock will not work on zwave unless it wakes up from the app. If I use the app, then zwave will work - until it stops again. Anyone else experience this? I have the network key in configuration.yaml and options.xml, but I’m baffled.

Can’t say I’ve run into that problem. What does the OZW_Log.txt look like? Anything obvious in there? Any other dead Z-Wave devices? Sometimes that causes a lot of odd things.

did you find a solution for this. I am in the same boat :frowning:

Looks like the issue is not tied to zwave on HA.
There is a similar thread on smartthings forum too

Where did you find this option xml? I saved my key on LastPass since a while ago but it never occurred to me to add it to my config I was still a newbie back then and still am I just read and search more now. However I can’t seem to verify if my key is right by looking inside any of the files in my config folder.

I am having this issue too of timeout but I mistakenly forced removal of my August lock many times a few before I added the network key into my YAML and some after.

Nevermind I found the options.xml and I do see my network key was commented out all this time and never set appropriately, it starts at a default value of like 1,2,3, etc. I have already set this in my yaml but I think that I have messed up as none of my devices are set with this network key then and I have already tried force removing my august lock many times.

Now I see in the zwcfg file that my lock is present like 4 times with different node ids. I know this can’t be good.

options.xml lives in the root of your HA config.

But something else seems to be going now. The lock doesn’t seem to be responding anymore. It looks like the same behavior as before. It doesn’t seem to be using zwave+ but I don’t have an old log from when it was working to compare to now. I have updated HA a few times and even migrated to docker since I got it working. It could have been a change I made in all of that, but I’m not convinced because the garage door still works and that requires zwave+

So i got mine working but I had to change something in the storage > core.config.entries since I noticed that the network key was not right there and after a restart that key now reflected was was in my config .yaml file then I paired my august for like the 8th time now and it finally works!!! Granted I notice that occasionally I have other nodes fail but if I do a test node or heal node they sometimes come back. Z wave seems to be a pretty delicate thing you have to be patient and not move too quickly even restarting back to back can mess a node up if the network wasn’t allowed to come up completely.

Hope this helps. Not sure exactly error you are getting but wondering if my experience can help you or others.

Nothing actually “messes up a node” (save from firmware issues or hardware death), the only thing that will get skewed is your cache file the zwcfg_xxxxxx.xml file. Since it’s a cache file you can delete it and it will be re-created by pyozw. Also the more mains powered nodes you have the stronger your zwave mesh network becomes. It’s actually quite stable and versatile when setup properly.

So I know that the more mains powered devices I have the stronger the signal and network will be but given my recent experience with my August lock not pairing (until recently) and allowing me to discover that my network key was never properly setup I’m concerned that maybe my devices weren’t “setup properly”. I have about 4 GE zwave plus switches 14294 and one 14287 GE fan control that are zwave plus I’m concerned that they aren’t properly setup. However now that I think of it may be they are given they aren’t secure nodes they don’t need the network key right?

I guess do you know how to measure how strong your zwave signal is? Sort of like you map your WiFi signal?

You can use the zwave maping tool someone created for Home Assistant, it doesn’t tell you signal strengths but gives you RTT (latency times) and hop count.

Normally light switches and fan controllers do not require to be secure.

Not a stronger signal, more nodes means more potential hops for commands to go through, similar to how the internet works. If one node goes down/has a poor connection, the command can be routed via another node in the network.

I found this one. Which one are you referring to? I had also bookmarked this guide that talks about how to integrate it.

That’s the one but here’s the thread:

Apparently they pushed firmware to our locks that will make your zwave useless unless you open the app on your phone first. If you message support and ask them to downgrade you to 1.59.0-1.8.15 firmware you will be back to normal zwave working.

1 Like

I just wanted to report my experience with this in case it helps someone else out. I was seeing the same log messages as posted at the top and failing to lock and unlock my August lock via zwave in home assistant. I have the latest firmware – the one people had identified as problematic here and in the smart things thread. When I set up my lock I had also set up doorsense. I noticed around the time zwave stopped working doorsense also stopped reporting the door was ajar in the August app. On a hunch I recalibrated the lock and doorsense, and afterward zwave lock/unlock commands started working again, without downgrading the firmware.

It’s as if the lock disables the zwave commands when it can’t reliably detect the door state.

This firmware version is still the remedy even today - I’m using nortek husbzb and hassio z-wave. Thanks for this.

I am using the same setup as you and have been having issues connecting and sending commands to my August Lock all day. Openzwave or Z-wave integrations have similar issues. I can’t believe we have to contact support to ask for a firmware downgrade.

Contacting them now, but also going to keep an eye out for other smart locks…

I got to this thread because I has issues controlling the lock from HA. I contacted August customer service, but they claimed that downgrading FW was not possible. Having said that after a couple of restarts, it appears to be much more consistently. Firmware version is 1.59.0-2.0.1