Authentication issues trying to display photos from NAS storage

I’m stuck at the moment trying to build a digital photo frame using an android tablet with images on my NAS drive.

So far, I’ve added the NAS drive as storage (system > storage > network storage), and used imagedirectory to cycle through the images.

camera:
  - platform: imagedirectory
    name: pictures
    sourcepath: "/media/Photos/Favourites"
    delay_time: 5

On lovelace:

type: picture
image_entity: camera.pictures

This then displays a null picture on the dashboard. However, I get an actual picture when I click on it; which correctly cycles every 5 seconds.

Similarly, I get the same result (but no ability to click to open the picture) with:

type: picture
image: /media/Photos/Favourites/Photo.jpg

My indicate an authentication error:
2024-04-01 16:32:17.160 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.ban] Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from laptop.lan (192.168.1.101). Requested URL: '/media/Photos/Favourites'.
However, I can view the pictures when and only when I open the picture card.

What am I doing wrong?

i don’t believe the default picture card will take direct file paths like that other than to the web folder. see this:

however i’d offer 2 things to consider:

1. the custom:media-source-image-card that you can gets from hacs. you’ll have to define your nas share as a media directory, but that’s usually not a big deal.
  2. wallpanel - this is what i use instead. it turns my whole panel into a picture frame as a screensaver. - also get in hacs.
1 Like