Auto heating control - not easy :)

OH kill me, kill me! Hass.io PROBLEM (no possibility to boot from USB with hassOS). Installation from Raspbian - PROBLEM with latest version https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/28361

2 days and hass still not running :slight_smile:

Same EVO card here, and also trying to get better responses.
Also, this config would be much simpler with NodeRed… I´m just starting to dip my toes in these waters though.

As I went through the same path as you are trying to go, I strongly advice you to use NodeRED for such automations. Also, to increase stability, control thermostats / actuators directly from NodeRED, if possible. Use HASS only for data preview or setting thermostat target temperatures.

In my experience, I had to implement “emergency mode” for my heating setup, because things happen to fail from time to time - from temperature sensors, to HASS and NodeRED connection failure or connection caching (actuators / temperature states were changed, but NodeRED saw old values). Eliminate as much failure points as possible. The point is, you want to be your heating automation as independent as it can be. Trust me :slight_smile:

For example, I had my router crashed one night and some temperature sensors was not updated, so system thought that some rooms are too cold. I woke up in sauna. Also I was very surprised when I found out how unstable are my Xiaomi BLE Temperature sensors due to BT connection instability. After few failures, I’ve started to turn heating system down if mandatory data becomes too old or unavailable.

If you’re interested, you can read about my heating setup:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/my-approach-to-smart-heating-radiators-floor-heating-gas-boiler

So interesting @algirdasc - will study your project. Thanks for Node Red idea… Maybe Node Red should run on the same Raspberry beside hassbian?

Yes, it should, otherwise your heating will depend on switches / routers.

I’m currently running NodeRED natively and dockerized HASS on the same machine (Odroid XU4, Raspberry-like single board), but I’m planning on moving switches / sensors to NodeRED. Just to eliminate HASS / Docker failure scenarios :slight_smile:

Docker on raspbian is my next Step. After 2 days (hassio - failure, can´t boot from usb, raspbian - bad script for ha installation, I ´m now on hassbian with this problem SOLVED HASS not starting after clean hassbian (latest) install on Rapsi3 model B

Seems like I found the time when all ways of installing HASS are buggy :slight_smile:
So next try is raspbian+docker+hass.io - this is your way?

I’ve never had issues with raspbian + docker + home-assistant install (haven’t tried hass.io / hasbian, though).

Jason and I have discussed this offline.
We are both concerned about trusting HA to run a heating system (I’m very much in favour of Teras’s views on this) I have a fallback position should HA go down, admittedly not as efficient but will stop us freezing.
Jiran is obviously quite content with his backup solution, which makes me more sanguine about this approach.
I can’t help but feel that a ‘native’ HA solution will be the most reliable and that is the route I’ll take.
If Jiran wishes to persue another route that is completely up to him, he may even just wish to migrate at a later date.
I won’t have his entities so the best I can do is used copies of my tested code and do a config check. It will be written in a package so should be easy to implement as long as he matches the entity_id’s (mine to his or his to mine)
If anyone feels strongly to the contrary please feel free to step in.

@SteveDinn & Jason, Yeah, I used to have problems similar to this. But being one never afraid to steal a good idea, I follow Petro’s ethos on this and set binary sensors to define such switch states, so I don’t have to wait for the next time trigger or event to ensure everything is in the correct sequence slot.
The only other area where it has caused issues is; I have timers on all my lights, these must be triggered on an ‘off’ to ‘on’ as I also use different levels through the day which would otherwise reset the timers.

Now I wish to install HASS on raspi3. Seems I found the time gap in which all ways to install HASS are buggy. Right now, when I need it :frowning:

Go back to go, do not collect $200 (monopoly reference) :rofl:

Please open another topic for your issues about installing HASS on the Raspi3, this topic is about your heating control “issue”

Really? I thought the “Saga of Jiran” would become an international bestseller :rofl:
The number of people dropping by here just to see what other idea has popped into his head today :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t have any time triggers, unless you count the 1 second timer that I use to wait before sending the command for my heart pump. Everything happens pretty much in real time.

That’s even better ! :+1:

BUMP HASS up and running with hassbian latest :smiley:

Small step for every proffesional heater controller but BIG JUMP for me :smiley:

Jiran, what are the names of your rooms ?
and which are the 3 that set house heating to on ?

Edit: just clarifying some points: -
You say if fire boiler > than 50° then use that - why ? is not 40° useful as well ? ie these are not serial systems - They are in parallel only ? and heater valve ‘on’ diverts from ‘tank’ to ‘heater’ ?
The pump pushes into both the tank and the heater, but flow only goes through the non bypassed item ?
What is emergency ? tank > 70° ??? and emergency resets at 68° ??? (I think these figures need to be hard coded.
It is also safer to open ALL valves (even if rooms are unoccupied) during an emergency to maximise heat loss

Phil is definitely a Home Assistant legend. I also have several of his posts bookmarked.

At some point someone clued me into the whole startup state change thing. Most of my automations now take this into account but I have a couple based on template binary sensors where the only way to fix the issue (that I could come up with) of automations firing on a restart was to delay them on a reboot long enough that the binary sensors have registered the proper state. I’ll have a good look at that post and see if there’s a method there I didn’t think of.

Which leads me to another thought. There are a handful of very, very informative posts in the forums. I can think of several by @Tinkerer, @pnbruckner, @petro, @finity and even a couple from yourself that have helped me out immensely since I started out.

Some of these posts obviously take a lot of time and effort to put together, yet they get missed because they sit in a thread with an unrelated obscure title. I think it would be great to have a special section for these posts similar to r/bestof on Reddit. Not the whole threads - just the relevant post. We could have some kind of voting or nomination system to highlight posts that we think should be added to the mods.

I think it would be very helpful to have all these “best of” posts in one place that’s easy to find and reference and also to point new users to. It might also save a lot of the repetitive questions on here.

BTW the “TOP” sorter doesn’t really work for this, it really just displays the most active posts.

Thoughts?

Edit: If I’ve forgotten any of you other HA guru’s on the list here it wasn’t intentional! (@Mariusthvdb, @Mutt, @ludeeus, @thomasloven )

3 Likes

Jason you shouldn’t tag people with a shotgun
I’ve not had time to read the above (he says engaging in a novella) but I will soon… but…
I’m not a guru, I barely have started learning yaml, I’m just a selfish b4574rd who helps others so I can learn more.
Phil has been at HA for just over a year now, surprising isn’t it ?
Taras only uses HA so he can help on this forum (he uses another platform)
Finity Tom, and Petro are the other notables in my book, but that’s because I’m only slightly qualified to answer certain questions and I overlap with those goys, there are many, many more I have yet to interact with properly like ggravlingen who has written the Ikea blind integration - these ALL are smart guys who donate their time for others (or maybe they just wanna learn too) Taras says it’s because he doesn’t have a life but I secretly (not so secretly actually) think it’s because he likes puzzles and us dumb schmucks are certainly that. They have all helped me tremendously and I’m just doing a bit to help payback (giving the likes of Phil more time to support his life360 component and maybe some other stuff)

Edit a 2nd part of novella - I love your idea, but I think it would be almost impossible to implement. I’ll paint a usage case, what I thought was a diamond idea a year ago, I may think was just common sense today. To be helpful it needs to be pertinent to its readership and I don’t know I need a template to answer this I just need a dang light to come on. So I’ll search on that (some users don’t even search)
How many times have you come across a thread that says, “somebody has probably asked this before… How do I turn on a light ?”
When I come across a piece of code I don’t understand or I think will be useful, I copy it into a “neat stuff.yaml” file just in case. I peruse that (after I’ve been puzzling a solution but before posting a question l I guess everyone is different though.
I would point out though that truth is not democratic ie. It’s very rarely what the majority of people think it is. So the same would apply here. You, me and Taras may think “this post” by finity is absolute genius, but Phil may argue that its not explicit and could cause errors if capricorn is in ascendancy over McDonald’s, and he’d be right but voted down.
I think instead that a training manual on HA would be more useful, but again that’s a moving feast as HA only changes if there’s a ‘y’ in the day.
I dunno, I really don’t have any answers
I like your sentiment but we are constrained by the mechanisms of the forum platform we use, I’m no longer interested in what platform it is (unlike other forums in the past) it’s a given, we aren’t gonna change it easily, so I just live with it. Probably why some people take stuff to reddit. :man_shrugging:

TL;DR : - In Summary,
I aspire to be as helpful as Phil, Teras, finity, petros and the like, not because I want to be a guru but because I’m selfish and want to be able to solve any problem that HA throws my way (cheques should be made payable to …) :rofl:

2 Likes