Auto heating control - not easy :)

Problem is that I´m still searching for best way to start. This will be not easy as I need to regulate every room but also turn ON/OFF heating in house, which means to decide whether electric heater or water tank (heated by fireplace) will be used. Based on this I need to run some pumps and change water flow in multiple valves (electric valves controlled by sonoff tasmota). So it is not so easy as it seems to be.

Also I would like to use some simple schedule, I mean to have different preset temperature from 8AM to 5PM, from 5PM to 9PM etc. So I´m also thinking about Schedy…maybe.

I think best way will be to use standard generic climate to decide whether such rooms needs to heat or not. Based on this I should run some automation (every few minutes) which will ask every room if it needs to heat. If yes it will tell to some other automation to RUN. This second automation will decide if heating will run from electric heater (if water temp in water tank is lower than XX°C) or from water tank (if is higher than XX°C).

There are also some ALARM situations when water tank is overheated and MUST BE COOLED. In this situation all rooms MUST start heating from water tank and STOP after reaching some non alarm max temperature (inside water tank).

So this is why I ask before I will start to create something. I don´t want to spent much time with searching the right way because winter is here :slight_smile:

Now I´m creating backup of my old HASSBIAN as there is no possibility to fully upgrade Python and run latest HASS. So I will backup and install latest HASS.IO which I hope will be the best way now (when hassbian died - i know will continue somehow). I have only rpi_rf as non standard service and what I know it is possible to run similar plugin also in hass.io so it should be fine. Also I need to learn hass.io as I never worked with its tools etc.

Thank you for reading and sorry form my english :slight_smile:

Your English is fine.
You are approacjhing this from the wrong angle.
Electric will always be easier to control.
But what is the relative costs of installation ?
What are the running and energy costs ?
Can you use gas or oil ? Why a fire ?
What is the whole system going to cost you over (say) 20 years
Can you use solar to offset ?
Why are you doing this on 3 rooms ? or are they the main living rooms and you only enable ‘other’ rooms when it’s bedtime or getting up time ???
We have no real feel for your system and your post is TL;DR
You need to drive your system.

Everything is installed now. Just everything. And is also running - manualy via switches (tasmota in HASS). So yes, in the future I would like to change electric heater for a heat pump. Also I will use solar heater but it is future.
But what is the relative costs of installation ? - not sure, it is just done…
What are the running and energy costs ? - don´t know what to say…
Can you use gas or oil ? Why a fire ? I have fireplace in living room. I just like it. And it has small water heater tank inside. So if I use fireplace I´m also heating the big water tank. And yes, it is more economically to use fireplace than electric water heating…
What is the whole system going to cost you over (say) 20 years - ??
Can you use solar to offset ? - yes, and would like to use it once…
Why are you doing this on 3 rooms ? Those 3 rooms (maybe all in the future) are the rooms where I need to have preset temparature. is is living room, child room and bathroom. Other rooms may have bigger temperature fluctuations.So their water valves (floor water heating) will open but will wait for house heating to start (controlled by those 3 rooms)

or are they the main living rooms and you only enable ‘other’ rooms when it’s bedtime or getting up time ??? No I will enable other rooms after I will buy more philips hue motion sensors - which I use as temperature sensor :smiley:
We have no real feel for your system and your post is TL;DR - what is TL;DR ?

I have shedy running for my AC (climate component)

You might wanna have a look? It’s really great … it depends of your knowledge and ambitions but it would be a good solution for you

Thanks, would like to see…

An abbreviation for “Too Long; Didn’t Read”. It’s an expression born on the internet. It’s often used nowadays as a substitute for the word “Summary”.

If I were to write a long and detailed blog post, it may discourage some people from reading it (too long; didn’t read). So I could add a line or two at the very end (or brief paragraph) summarizing everything I wrote. This would be the “tl;dr” version of my blog post. This is what, I believe, Mutt has suggested, meaning your post is long and needs a summary (or summarizing).

I should add that “tl;dr” can also be used in a dismissive manner. If someone writes something long and detailed and I wish to annoy/insult them, I could just reply “tl;dr” (meaning “regardless of what you may have to say, I can’t be bothered to read it”). However, that’s not, I believe, how it is used in Mutt’s response to you.

There are many other abbreviations:
FWIW - for what it’s worth
IMHO - in my humble opinion
IIRC - if I remember correctly
TIL - today I learned

If you end your post with this:

/s

you are indicating your post was meant to be sarcastic.

1 Like

Ha Ha Ha ! Yes, didn’t think to explain.
But also FWIW, when I use IMHO I usually omit the /s that should be implicit (GUI pussies ! - that’s a Wordstar related joke !) :rofl:

@123 Oh I wish all answers regarding to technical solution could be as detailed as yours :slight_smile:
/s
TIL

I see someone spends a little time on Reddit! :wink:

What you mean @jazzyisj ?

The acronyms @123 is using come from a website called Reddit.

This is the Home Assistant forum or subreddit.

Why do you want to ask the room every few minutes if it needs to heat? It’s better that the room tells you when it needs to heat.

In every post you are adding more and more requirements for your automation and at the same time you say it’s urgent winter is here. So please tell us which are the critical requirements that need to be done as fast as possible because it is winter now? You can still add more functionality later.

If the room will tell to heat then there will be problem. If the same room will need to STOP heating, there could be another room which needs to heat. This is why there must be some “central authority” which will ask every room if any of them needs to heat and will turn ON heating or if none of rooms need to heat will turn OFF heating.
Requirements are still the same. As I wrote - NOT EASY. But I think solvable using automations and some basic room temperature control/schedule. Today I should have new hass.io installed so will try to start write something.

I have never even visited reddit, these are just general acronyms used by lazy (me) people who can’t be bothered to type. :smiley:

Even with the “central authority” for the heating, you don’t need to ask the rooms if they need heating, the rooms tell you they need heating and if the “central authority” enabled heating they will get heating otherwise they will not get heating.

No you said nothing in your original post about:

Or about

1 Like

Jiran,
Okay, tell me what temperature profire you want? Eg : -

1. Unoccupied say 10 (range 10 to 14)
  2. Door/window open say 10 (range 10 to 14)
  3. Day say 17 (range 14 to 24)
  4. Evening say 18.5 (range 14 to 24)
  5. Night say 16 (range 14 to 24)

Examine this does it sound reasonable? What changes would you make? Would the house stay empty for longer periods (ie would you want ‘away’ to be just frost protection eg down to 4)?
Would this profile apply to all 3 main rooms?
Could you apply it to the remaining rooms?
If we can apply same profile to all rooms it makes life simpler
The only difference is that you’d use a different entity(ies) to mark different rooms ‘away’
Note: if we set an ‘away’ temperature in a bed room (even with the house occupied) then the heating would be effectively ‘off’ unless it needs to cut in to protect the room at 10 degrees.
Note: my heating is ‘on’ all year round but only actually fired up for the first time mid September
What times of the day do the heating profiles switch? 06:00 - day, 17:30 - evening, 23:00 - night? Do you want these fixed or adjustable?
Do you want a different profile for weekends (same values just different times? (you may have to do this yourself later if we are just getting a basic system running now)
How are the ‘other areas’ activated / deactivated? Just on a time schedule or some other detected activity? (again, we may set these to run if heating is on else off - so you may need to consider this yourself)
I will need some entity id’s : -
What entity marks your house as occupied ?
What are the temp sensors in the main 3 rooms?
What are their thermo actuators? (are these quiet? Can they be used any hour of the day or night?)
What is the main heating switch?
Are you willing to use package’s?
If I ‘make-up’ names for things, can you change them?

What is tank temp sensor?
What is tank valve?
I assume there is a common pump for both tank and electric heating?
What is the pump called? (can it run at all hours)?

Do all ‘other’ rooms act together? (All ‘heating’ or all ‘away’ ?)

EDIT: AND Can you write up the interface (in lovelace) to display the required entities for you to operate this system ?
This is why people normally start off playing with automation with a single light switch on their workbench and not with a nuclear reactor saying “Hmmm ! Where do I start … ?”

2 Likes

Denizens of Reddit will recognize AITA and HMB … and (fortunately) there’s no need for those acronyms here.

Although I think it would be well-received if balloob held the occasional AMA.

WOT
tl;dr

/s

Will the Central Authority have a Five-Year Plan?

1 Like

I had to look those up myself :roll_eyes:

Thanks @Mutt I will give you answers ASAP. Still fighting with HASS.IO - it is a nightmare to install it using their original img in raspi. It just want to boot from PXE. Seems like I have to instalal raspbian and install hassio from raspbian. Problems, problems problems… Maybe I will stay on hassbian only will make new installation. What you think? Is there something in hass.io what could help with my project?