Automation how to set climate set-point via input_number.* helper?

hello,

i try to make an automation, to set the temperature of my TRV with an number helper input_number.heiz_bad_templow , but this does not work?
how could i achieve this?
i tried the following in my automation:

action:
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      temperature: input_number.heiz_bad_templow
      hvac_mode: heat

thank you for any help
br
Frank

action:
  - service: climate.set_temperature
    data:
      temperature: "{{ states('input_number.heiz_bad_templow') }}"
      hvac_mode: heat
    target:
      entity_id: climate.your_device

Reference:

@123 ahh, it works :slight_smile: thank you !

i was not aware, the helper has a state and is recorded in the database and creates a history etc…?
My intention is to set a default value for heating, used by an automation in a time schedule, but to have a easier access via an dashboard/card for editing, instead editing the data value in the automation itself.
Would be a input_number helper a proper way, or is there a better way doing this? I will have a lot of them and they will waste db space with a lot of state records? Or will a state only be written to db, when it is changed? thank you
br
Frank

1 Like

I use input numbers for zone temperatures. I actually have multiple for each zone - schedule, away, override and based on a mode the zone gets set correctly. I also have automations that set the scheduled temperature based on time of day (or offsets based on sunrise, sunset). So yes, the approach you are taking is valid.

One thing to be aware of is that the automation may fail and you may want to implement retries. In the pic below it’s had to retry 13 times and in 3 cases was unable to complete the setpoint after 3 attempts out of ~1000 calls. Not a super high failure rate, but it’s a annoying when the heat doesn’t come on in the AM.

I’m using hass_rs for the auto retries.

You’re welcome!

Please consider marking my post above with the Solution tag. It will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to other users that this topic has been resolved. This helps users find answers to similar questions.

For more information about the Solution tag, refer to guideline 21 in the FAQ.

Yes but you can easily exclude its history from being recorded. I do that for several entities because I have no need to maintain their history and it helps to reduce the database’s size.

Reference: Recorder - Common Filtering Examples

@123 i followed your hint with the solution tag. thanx

and yes i know how to Exclude, i have severall exclusions for maria and influx, but the idea of doing it for all single stuff additionally scares me :wink:
br Frank

@PeteRage thank you for your reply. Your automation sounds quite interesting, but im not fully understand the solution, how to use zones…till now i thougth zones are “rooms”, but you are using it a different way i would expect… i will ask for details in another thread

Unfortunately i´m not a “power user”, so i can´t help you testing your hass_rs integration (or whatever it is?), but i might come back using it in future. but for now i have more “basic” problems…
br Frank

A zone is HVAC terminology and signifies an area of heat/cooling control. Some residences may have a zone per room (e.g. a thermostat), other may have a zone for the first floor and another zone for the second floor.

sorry i read your post wrong! not my native language :worried: so my understanding of zones was indead correct :blush:, but i had missunderstood your post. i thought you are using separate zones for different temperatures within a room, but it´s vise versa.

thanx
br
Frank