Automation & Person/Device Location

Greetings all,

I am attempting to create an automation which turns off all the lights in my home if my wife and I both leave the house and I have a few questions.

My wife and I each have two entities ( a person and a device_tracker)…which of these two should I be using for creating automations based on location and presence ?

Second, I noticed that the automation triggers function strictly on an OR basis when listing multiple triggers. How can I go about triggering an automation when my wife and I both leave the house ?

I was thinking of creating a some sort of script and using booleans to keep track of whether we were both out of the house and then using that to trigger an automation. I recently migrated from SmartThings and it had an option to use “when everyone leaves” as a trigger…something similar would be awesome.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

It’s been a while since I set mine up, but lemme give you the cliffs notes version until I can get some time to dig around for specifics.

I have a person set up for me and my wife. Each “person” has 2 deviced trackers in their person: Bluetooth and OwnTracks.

Then I have a group setup that contains both persons: “All”. I trigger my automations using this group. (As long as one person is in the house, the group is “home”.)

That should get you started!

1 Like

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks !

One last question, what’s the difference between a person and a user ?

Thanks again.

Take a look here: Automation for entering and leaving Zones

I recently set this up as it’s key to me switching over to HA. Unfortunately, it’s not very reliable especially when leaving Home and haven’t figured out why.

1 Like

A Person is someone (entity) you track. A User is someone that logs into the system.

For example my wife is a person and a user because it tracks here location AND she logs in via the mobile app.
My Father in Law is a person only because it tracks him (wifi connection) but he doesn’t have access to log into HA.

1 Like