Automation stops triggering until its renamed (alias changed)

Did anyone else come across this? I am not sure of the root cause but every so often I experience an issue where one or more automations stop working. After I change the alias (add a 1 or anything) then reload the automations they start working again.

Hello, have you found a solution? I have the same problem. I had to rename over 20 automations as they stopped to work. Now it happened second time and it’s not solution to rename all automations every time they stop to work. Thank you.

@geniusweb

Search for the automation in entities and make sure it’s not set to disabled for some reason.

are you changing the names via the yaml? or via the ui?
i’ve seen this when i change via yaml, but not when via the ui. i figured there’s some caching it’s doing for efficiency, but that changing via the ui makes it know to refresh the cache. this also affects the autocomplete… ie,the renamed entity doesn’t always show up until reloaded if done via yaml, but does if done via ui.

All the automations are enabled and there is no reason why they should be disabled by itself. I always rename automations via UI and only reason why I have to do it is, that they stopped to work. Maybe it’s somehow related to update of HA?
Anyway it’s very strange. Oh and one more thing - it seems it’s related only to automations which are being triggered by switches/controllers added thru Phoscon (conbee II stick). Thank you in advance for any other advice.

Can you share the formatted YAML config for one of the affected automations?

I happened again so I had to rename again all the automations to make them work again :confused:

Here is the example from yaml file:

- id: '1635062617071'
  alias: Tomi Hue dim  up (single)3
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - device_id: 8445916f43157ef52289a17a40023eb6
    domain: deconz
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_release
    subtype: dim_up
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id:
      - light.panda_lamp
      - light.juraj_night_lamp3
    data: {}
  - service: switch.turn_on
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: switch.fairy_kids
  mode: single

Thank you for your advice.

Did you check if the automations were disabled before you renamed them?

1 Like

They are all enabled all the time, so yes this was checked.

Except if home assistant disables them due to an error.

Okay but then they should remain in disabled status, isn’t it? I can see them enabled before and after renaming. After renaming, it starts to work again but after couple of days the same issue pops-up again.

Nope. If you rename it then the repair will be cleared.

I rename it always via UI. Also all the automations were set via UI.

Yes, all automations are enabled, there is no change in the status of automations.

So this may not be related to the issue I had some time ago with a much older version of ha. In my case I found that the automations were disabled and was just able to enable them again.

If the issue is still occurring maybe you can ask for help to enable some sort of logging and correlate the logs with when your automations stop working.

Yes, I shoul do so. And you know what?
After yesterday’s update of HA core to the most recent version it started to work by itself. However it´s not the first tíme it stopped to work and I expect it will stop to work again in few days/weeks.