Automation to record peak power - stopping short

Hello, newbie here, so please be gentle. I have spent quite some time putting together an automation to record peak power for various items. This seems to work, to a degree. So, I have the installed code below which seems to trigger when it should and to increase the value as I’d expect. However, it seems stuck at a lower value. That is, it rose to around 35W but when I started the dishwasher running and it exceeded 2000W, it stayed stuck at the lower value. I suspect that it’s something to do with rounding etc, but I can’t see what,

- id: '1644321547640'
  alias: Store dishwasher peak power
  description: Calculate and store dishwasher peak power in input_value to survive
    a reboot
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.dishwasher_power
  condition:
  - condition: numeric_state
    above: input_number.dishwasher_peak_power
  action:
  - service: input_number.set_value
    data:
      value: '{{ trigger.to_state.state | float(0) | round(3) }}'
    target:
      entity_id: input_number.dishwasher_peak_power

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I think this looks correct. I can’t understand why it does not work.

Can you post the graph history of the dishwasher_power?
Does the logs say anything?
The traces?

This is the graph which clearly shows the rise. I was also watching the entity as the dishwasher started and it was seen “live” too. It just didn’t push up the recorded value as I’d expected.

Ah-ha! I now see what’s wrong, I think:

2022-09-13 11:03:52.903 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.store_dishwasher_peak_power] Store dishwasher peak power: Error executing script. Invalid data for call_service at pos 1: Invalid value for input_number.dishwasher_peak_power: 2293.8 (range 0.0 - 1000.0)

When I came across the code, I did wonder what the 1000 meant. It now makes sense. My number was just too big, I think?

Thank you very much for your swift response.

If you’re interested, you can use a Trigger-based Template Sensor to report the peak power value.

template:
  - trigger:
      - platform: state
    sensor:
      - name: 'Dishwasher Peak Power'
        unique_id: 'dishwasher_peak_power'
        unit_of_measurement: 'W'
        device_class: power
        state: "{{ [trigger.to_state.state | float(0), this.state | float(0)] | max }}"

But isn’t sensors cleared on restart?

It gets restored after a restart.

From here:

The state, including attributes, of trigger-based sensors and binary sensors is restored when Home Assistant is restarted. The state of other trigger-based template entities is not restored.

Thanks for this. My understanding, though, is that that doesn’t survive a reboot? This was part of my requirement.

I’m also using it on my solar to measure maximum power generation, so this is especially important there.

What led you to that understanding?

My previous post contains an excerpt from the documentation explaining that a Trigger-based Template Sensors’s state (and attributes) is restored after a restart.

I can confirm the documentation is correct because I use a Trigger-based Template Sensor similar to the example I posted above (except it reports maximum daily outdoor temperature).

Simply what I’d read during my research. Much of what I’d read was very contradictory, though, so I’m not at all surprised that I’m wrong.

One other thing which occurs to me, too: presumably it should be possible to create one automation (or trigger) for multiple device’s power and have each increment based on the name of which is triggered? Although (and I must stress that I’m very new to this) does that imply that an automation would be needed in that scenario? That is, I could create a single automation (based on what I have) with multiple triggers and then refer to the triggered entity in the action?

Post a link to some of the research that contradicts the documentation.

I think I know what you’re proposing but I don’t think it leads to a simpler method of recording the highest value of each one of the multiple sensors. Each sensor still needs an Input Number helper to store its peak value. The automation will need some templating to determine which Input Number to update based on which one of multiple entities triggered the automation.

In contrast, a Trigger-based Template Sensor is effectively its own automation and its computed value survives a restart. Plus the resulting sensor entity can have a device_class, unit_of_measurement, etc (not available for Input Number) and its value, unlike an Input Number, can’t be accidentally modified by a user via the UI.

That’s very helpful. Thank you very much. I will look to change the method, I think.

Let me know if you encounter any problems making the change.

It looks not. It seems to be working fine, so thank you very much!

You’re welcome!

If my post above helped solve your problem, please consider marking it with the Solution tag. It will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to other users that this topic has been resolved. This helps users find answers to similar questions.

For more information, refer to guideline 21 in the FAQ.

Done! and thanks once again.

1 Like