Automation with multiple Caseta Hubs?

Hi all, new to hass(io), but I did a search to see if this was covered recently.

I am currently building a new house, and the design calls for about 120 Caseta switches / remotes. After conferring with Lutron, they are recommending three hubs across the house (essentially one for each floor). The Caseta system does not seem to be able to handle scenes across multiple hubs, so I am hoping to bridge this with HA (as well as a lot of other cool automation!). The folks at Lutron aren’t sure if this will work:

"I do not know how the user experience with multiple Casetas would be from their end. Like, if you wanted a whole house scene, I would suspect that a scene across three different systems could have somewhat of a popcorn feel to it, but I have never used their gear. I’m also not sure if you can build larger scenes across multiple systems. I would assume so but have never used it.

The other issue that you could run into, if you have three fully loaded Caseta bridges, each system will work on the same frequency. If you have a bunch of sensors and battery shades, this could lead to life degradation. I would not think that you would see a major time delay on basic commands across the system but three fully loaded Caseta systems would be far more devices of the same RF type a frequency than is spec’ed for a single residence. The sensor and battery life of shade issue though would be a real concern depending upon obviously if they are using those devices…I believe the consensus is that this should be able to work with multiple systems, based on the description of the software, but we have no firsthand experience of this because it is user created."

Do folks here have experience with multiple Caseta hubs? How does it work, and is there noticeable delay? And finally, can you use the pico switches to control whole house scenes across multiple hubs?

Thanks, appreciate the help and patience with a noobie.

1 Like

Hello, welcome to the community!

I personally do not as I don’t have this hardware. However, it does support multiple hubs.

I can’t tell you the delay of the hardware, but I can tell you that services are executed like a waterfall. This will add a minor delay (in microseconds) between each service. In your case, each service would be ‘turning on a scene’.

From what i’ve seen on the forums, the general answer appears to be ‘yes’. These devices come through as a sensor and you create automations based on the sensors state. These automations can do anything, like turn on a scene. ref Lutron Pico configuration example - #5 by broox

I am in the EXACT same situation as the OP. I like the design of the Caseta switches but I need to be able to support more than 75 devices. I am trying to figure out if I will have to go up to the RA2 Select which will be much more expensive.

@bcukier did you end up setting this up?
Did you run into any issues or disappointments with how it works?

Hello,
I am in the planning stages of a similar system, did you end up moving forward with Caseta switches? Did it work for you?

No, I ended up going with the RA2 system, but was promised the programming key. We are (finally) moving in next month, so I will report back on the HA integration.

What was your main motivation to choose RA2 vs Caseta? Does RA2 use a similar system layout with a hub that would talk to HA? How more expensive was RA2 vs Caseta?

Here is the latest update:

We just moved in 3 weeks ago (yes, 1 year late). So I am at the start of my HA journey.

I ended up using LutronRadioRa2. We have ~175 switches/dimmers/keypads throughout the house (yes, scope creep) so we far exceeded the capacity of Caseta. I did go through Lutron certification to become Level 1 and then Level 2 certified, so I could use the “inclusive” software. It’s a bit of a pain, but all online and doable, and now I have complete control of my system. (And my Lutron dealer has been very supportive and helpful with the process!)

The system is up and running on HA. I have initially used the HomeKit integration, but I have way exceeded the 150 entity limit for HomeKit. (Each button on the 6 button keypad is a separate entity). I haven’t been able to get the Lutron integration up and running yet. (I will post the issues in a separate thread — seeking help here!).

I have many of the lights loaded in the system through the HomeKit integration. What I do have works really well, and I have been able to put together some slick pages which control our house.

Ben

1 Like

It looks like I am continuing down the exact path that you went down. I am mid way through the Lutron Level 1 certification process. Do you anticipate the Lutron integration working, or do you think you’ll have to continue with the HomeKit integration?

Is your dealer a distributor or an integrator? My electrician has said he can get all of the hardware, but he doesn’t deal with any automation.

Are there any other tips you have for someone that is a few months behind you?
I thought Level 2 required in person training, is that not the case?
Thanks,
-B

Hey @Bill2020 (and others).

The Lutron integration actually works. The error messages I was getting were for the Apple homekit integration, which was duplicate (but more limited). I now have control over what seems like the entire Lutron system from HA. Now let the building begin…

Btw, off topic, but the level2 integration is currently available online. (Pandemic change?). The test is actually tough, but you can take it as many times as you want…

Ben

1 Like

Thanks so much for the response.
Random question, are you integrating with any fireplace controllers? I am trying to figure out how to control a fireplace with RadioRa2 and / or Homeassistant. Have you encountered this?

@bill2020, No, sorry, we went with good old fashioned wood burning fireplaces to provide heat in case of the zombie apocalypse. :wink:)

Caution: Fireplace control (or anything involving fire/life safety) can be a grey area legally and against code in certain jurisdictions. I’ve heard tales of a home integrator that was sued over family pets sleeping in an open gas firebox and were set on fire by automation :cry:

That being said, and using good judgement on one’s own home… fireplaces typically use low voltage contact closure for controlling. For Ra2/Ra3 there is a contact closure module which can allow for control of this. LMJ-CCO1-24-B. If you’re retrofitting this into an existing fireplace, you’ll need 110V to power the module. These can be installed inside the service panel for the fireplace where there is often 110V to power the module and the low voltage control interface is available. If you want simultaneous local wall control, then some kind of keypad / pico.

Thank you for your response.
I agree about the safety elements. My motivation was actually to ensure a higher standard of safety. I have no interest in automations turning on the fireplace. I wanted to ensure that the fireplace would turn off after a set amount of time so no one could leave it on by accident.