Backup fails at InfluxDB

I cannot perform a complete backup, because InfluxDB causes the backup process to stop beforehand and the produced TAR file does not include several addons, and it does not even include the backup.json file.

Additional information:

• Backup completes without returning any error.
  • Backup file produced is 18GB circa.
  • Backup file is not recognized by HA. Supervisor log, shows that it does not cointain the backup.json file in it.
  • By opening the TAR file, I notice it is also missing several other addons, as compared to any successful backup files. WinRAR will report the TAR file as corrupted.
  • If I make a partial backup, including ALL but InfluxDB, backup completes correctly and successfully.
  • If I make a backup with ONLY influxDB, I run into the same problem.

In the picture attached, you can see:

on the left a 18GB corrupted TAR file, generated by a failed backup, incuding InfluxDB.

on the right a successful and working backup file, obtaining by ecxcluding Influx DB from the backup session.

I could not find any help on line. How do I fix this? I am trying to migrate my Home Assistant install to a new machine, and this is preventing me from migrating InfluxDB and years of collected data!

Thank you!

Interestingly I have not seen this issue pop up in here before that I can recall, but now there are two reports of this in the span of a couple of hours. I’m wondering if there is a connection. What version is your HA?

Latest.

• Core 2024.2.5
  • Supervisor 2024.02.0
  • Operating System 12.0
  • Frontend 20240207.1

This is pretti bad, unfrotunately, as it looks like I won’t be able to migrate my Influx DB data to the new machine. :frowning:

Sometimes - not always - I also get this error message. When I do, backup does continue in the background. TAR file is generated, just as when I get no error, and it presents the same issues as above.

I have had that error also.
I made a purge on my database and did a repack and it disappeared.

Be aware that the backup might eat up a lot of ram and disk space when running, especially on the Influx addon!

Backup issue with large files fixed in Supervisor 2024.2.1

issue 4924

That’s great news, but my Supervisor is 2024.02.1 . Is it already the right one? It does not appear to be fixed.

Are you referring to InfluxDB?
How do you do the purge and repack? Sorry, not expert at InfluxDB at all.

I have upgraded to Supervisor 2024.2.1 two hours ago. I made full backup (about 16 GB - including 14 GB InfluxDB) without any problem.

Please see GitHub for more details about issue #4924.

… and it worked! I can’t tell whether I had tried before updating the Supervisior or something else happened, but it worked. I’ll test a recovery to a different machine to make sure, but it looks the TAR file is not corrupted, backup.json is in there, and HA sees the backup file!

I just restored my system successfully.
I have also created one more backup.

As far as I can tell, this has been solved successfully.

Thank you all! :slight_smile:

Developer Tools → Services → use the service “recorder.purge”