Backup from Contaner - Restore to core?

I’m backing up my HA instance from a Container and want to restore to a new instance on Core that I’ve installed.

When I first start setting up HA on Core, I don’t see an option to restore, just the typical setup your first account. Playing around with backups, sure you can backup but there’s no option to restore.

This seems pretty limited. I shouldn’t be punished for not using Home Assistant OS or Supervised. I’ve got a very specific way that I want to setup my server at home.

Same with plugins. There should be no reason to limit Core with respect to Plug-Ins.

I’ve scoured the forum and NONE of the options have shown an option for restore that works.

Please see footnote 2 here: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/#compare-installation-methods

If you use core or container install methods you can backup via the GUI but to restore you must copy the entire /config folder from the backup archive to your new system.

2 Likes

I use duplicati web server outside container to backup up everything including home assistant and all of the containers. I use syncthing to sync files from my laptop and duplicati will backup this also.

I finally figured it out after posting my frustration. I think some clearer how-tos are needed in this area.
I’d be happy to contribute (once I actually get this going on my Core system).

If you have the time, creating a community guide would be fantastic.

1 Like

Awesome - thanks!
I think the one thing that was tripping me up was the .storage folder in my backup. I’ll start work on this after work.

Just an update - I ended up writing the details today as I was super busy with family stuff on the weekend. I need to provide some additional details about making sure the .storage file is copied over, unhiding files, etc…

1 Like

And posted - Happy to make adjustments if anyone finds anything slightly off: Guide: Home Assistant Core - Restoring a Backup

1 Like