Balboa Hot Tub/Spa Automation and Power Savings

Take a look at the core project, balboa_worldwide_app. If I remember correctly, you can override the MQTT base name there.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, I found it and it’s working.
Maybe also be interesting for @heubi76 and @ScanxTaz

(left Bridge is also working, the EW11A is off atm)

I can try to create a second docker container for people with the same problem. Until then, the following will work:

You have to change the DeviceID in balboa_worldwide_app. So download the source of the app. Then open file “exe/bwa_mqtt_bridge” and change deviceid in line 25 from “bwa” to “bwa2” (or something else) and in line 28 the deviceid from “BWA Link” to “BWA WP2” (or something else).

Afterward, you need to bundle and install (rake) the new balboa_worldwide_app. If you are using the docker container from @jshank or @supersebbo, you have to edit the “Dockerfile” and do all the stuff there. You have also to rename the description and slug in the config.yaml. Then the addon will appear as second addon in HA.

I have done it quick and dirty, but it’s working. As soon as I have time, I can create a clean docker container and upload it.

1 Like

I just purchased a HotSpring spa with the connected app. I started to research getting access to their API when I stumbled across this.

Did any of you start with the official built in hardware? Since hotspring and caldera are produced under the same parent I’m hoping someone has just used the official hardware.

There is a HACS integration that connects directly to the Balboa WiFi module.

All I know right now is that the unit that is in my house is digi xbee.

Is what that connects to Balboa?

Update. I just checked and there is nothing labeld Balboa in the unit.

Does anyone have problems with Elfin EW11A devices and connection resets / becoming unavailable?

I have two of these devices connected to my Swimspa and they are working. After some days (~ 10-15 days) they become unavailable. HA addon can’t connect to the device and WiFi router doesn’t show the device as connected anymore. So seems like offline or crashed or whatever. After restarting the EW11A everything works as expected for the next couple of days and then the same happens.

Hey there @Tomazzive, I’m in the same boat with a control board with a spare RJ45 port. I’m curious if you were able to get yours working with the Elfin setup? If so, willing to share information?

I have not run into this but it might be worth looking into the wifi router and see if the signal is weak. Mine is getting a good signal at -54 dBm but theoretically could “give-up” after many reconnect attempts with a weaker signal.

First of this is an awesome project. I just got a used SPA with Balboa controller and first task of course is to get it into Home Assistant.

Unfortunately my model doesn’t have the square ATX style connector for the display but rather it has two RJ45 style connectors on the board (Display is plugged into one and the other one is empty)

Does anyone know if this would work for my control board as well or is someone here how has done it?

Hi John,

Did you figure it out? I have a CPGS501Z with the same 2 ethernet style connectors.

I have not but other priorities came up. When I go back nd look at this, if I find anything helpful I will post it here…

Figuring out which wires are which will take some trial and error. There doesn’t appear to be a standard for RS485 over RJ45 but take a look at this link for an idea. You can look at the display connection for a guide as to which pins they chose and the color inside may also give an indication as to which is which pair. Use an adapter like this1 to make it easier.

Check out @rsrawley great doc on decoding the Balboa protocol for tips on wiring.

1 Amazon affiliate link for which I earn a small commission. Just search Amazon for B07LCJ4V5C if you don’t care for those.

Hey Jim, I was just wondering how often is this set to send data to HA? My “Current_temp” seems to be staying constant and it is ready a value that is about 2 days old. Is there a way to do a forced retrieval/increase frequency of certain information, such as the “Current_Temp” and “hottub_heatiny” ? Cheers

I’m sorry to say that I don’t know how often it’s supposed to refresh but I just checked mine and it refreshed 6-hours ago. I believe there is only an update if the temp has changed which could be correct based on my timing. GitHub - ccutrer/balboa_worldwide_app: Ruby library for communication with Balboa Water Group's WiFi module or RS-485 may have more detail on the refresh interval.

1 Like

What model of control unit do you have?

If it’s the GS range, try GitHub - MagnusPer/Balboa-GS510SZ: An Arduino/esp8266 library to direct interface Balboa Series GS (GS510SZ) hot tube control system.

or

Hi. Really keen to follow this project and implement.

My system is a Balboa GS523DZ with a VL801D panel.

I am uncertain what is different from the SZ model to DZ model however?

Any ideas if this would work on the DZ system?

Thanks

I would just give the existing code a try and create GitHub issue for any problems you find @santiniuk

1 Like

Built the cable, installed the Mosquito MQTT on HA, got Ruby installed on the Pi (hot tub side) and the Balboa worldwide app. I’m a bit stuck modifying the “bwa_mqtt_bridge.service” file. New to this game and while I can see where to input the USB0 for the RS485 link - not sure what else I need to modify.

Can anyone provide further details please?

Many thanks. feels so close now!

Did you resolve this? I’m trying to also use this approach and want to get the bwa_mqtt_bridge.service file correctly configured?

Hi, did you ever get anywhere with connecting via the J2 (or J1) RJ45 port? I’m not quite understanding why you didn’t continue with the breakout board (but all this is at the limit of my understanding)? Are any signals via the data pins using Modbus? Many thanks