Balboa Hot Tub/Spa Automation and Power Savings

The stragegy behind the weather compensation is pretty easy really although with my lack of coding knowledge I need to learn how to transpose the PLC version I wrote into code but its basically a mathematical equation with limits on the result.

I was only yesterday looking at CTs that run on the Tuya app, they are pretty cheap so I will more than likely go down that route as it will save a lot of headaches

I have started trying to make a custom sensor to calculate a Weather Compensated Setpoint, I have got the equation to work but I need to limit the upper and lower permissible values. This is where I am up to -

hot_tub_weather_compensated_setpoint:
        friendly_name: "Hot Tub Weather Compensated Setpoint"
        unit_of_measurement: "C"
        value_template: >-
          {% set outside_temp = states('sensor.home_realfeel_temperature')|float %}
          {% set temp_20c = 36 %}
          {% set temp_0c = 38 %}
          {% set max_temp = 40 %}
          {% set min_temp = 25 %}
          {% set weather_compensated_setpoint = ((((temp_20c - temp_0c) / 20) * outside_temp) + temp_0c) %}
          {{ weather_compensated_setpoint }}

This part works fine, for the limiting part I tried to use the following but it just gives an error and I cannot find the correct syntax to use -

{% if states('weather_compensated_setpoint') < ('max_temp') else ('max_temp') %}
          {% if states('weather_compensated_setpoint') > ('min_temp') else ('min_temp') %}
          {% endif %}
          {{ limited_weather_compensated_setpoint }}

Hi jwelvaert , I have the same problem as you when I want to install the add-on. (Failure to install the extension
Unknown error, see supervisor) I copied the add-on files into my add-ons folder of my HA, I can clearly see the new add-on in the Local add-ons section. I click on the install button (Failure to install the extension
Unknown error, see supervisor) I did some research and I did not find the problem, do you have any solution? Thank you

Sad I was busy with having my Spa installed and chose to choose the original Balboa Wifi module. It’s pure rubbish.
25% of time it disappears from wifi (where connection is strong and there isn’t anything to point there is an issue with signal quality). Disconnecting is random and it might take hours to come back to network. Cycling power to spa brings it immediately online.
Very frustrating as main idea was to adjust heating based on cheap electricity cost and cheap period easily goes if there’s no connection for 2 hours.

I have this same board and wondered if you had made any progress with it?

1 Like

Now seems that my problem has been solved and there was No issue on the Balboa Wifi. Noticed device had jumped connection to another wifi satellite (tp-link deco) and thought if the issue is conflict between satellite thus both strong and jumping around. Moved main one 5m further and now 12 hours without any errors!

It appears data is flowing from my hot tub but it seems mqtt auto discovery isn’t picking it up so I’m not sure how to get it into HA -

I tried to manually create them following @jshank instructions but HA balked at using platform: mqtt.
What am I missing here?