Basic Question - Convert Input to Sensor

Hello,

Forgive this basic question, I have read through some forum posts and tried to understand the time_date integration docs, but I’m struggling.

I am trying to use a blueprint to create an automation which has a sunrise effect for lights. The blueprint calls for a sensor helper. I want instead to use an input for next alarm time, i.e., a box on a dashboard. The input_datetime has a timestamp but is not the right type of entity (i.e., input versus sensor).

I think it should be really pretty easy to create a time sensor from an input_datetime entity, but I’m really not sure how to do this.

Thank you

Hi,
Can you post here the blueprint you are using? or are you trying to create a new blueprint?

Was trying to use this one: Wake-up light alarm with sunrise effect - Blueprints Exchange - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Although it’d probably be more elegant to set up the automation from the blueprint then adapt it to the input_datetime: to do what you’re asking for via the UI is straightforward.

• Settings
  • Devices & Services
  • Helpers (“tab” heading at the top)
  • Create helper (button bottom-right)
  • Choose Template > Template a sensor
  • Fill in like this, with your desired name and correct input_datetime entity:

1 Like

Thank you! Is there a way to make it update less frequently than every minute? Not a huge deal but I just am hoping for cleaner logs.

Just exclude it from the logbook: