Battery-less Flood / Water leak sensor for HA

Hi guys, I am researching flood sensor that can integrate with HA. But the problem is that most of them use batteries. Batteries are not an option for me because they will be installed in an (almost) inaccessible area.

I am looking for sensors that can be plugged in a wall outlet.

Any recommendations?

Anything that is battery powered can be powered with a converter.
Just measure the voltage you have across the battery (-ies) and use the same voltage converter.

One of my kids Christmas lights was battery powered and with 3 x AA batteries and I just used an old phone charger and hooked it up.

DIY version:

Aeotech has zwave sensor with dock for ac power

Did you mean Aeotec?

Yeas
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I am currently using a Fortezz FTS05P Water Leak detector (ZWave). It uses a USB A/C adapter and USB cord to power the device. The device also requires use of a water-leak/temperature probe for the actual sensing for water-leak. I went with this device primarily because I needed one that would work in a high temperature environment, and I could not find other devices with high temperature ratings. You can use it without batteries, but you can also use it with batteries along with A/C to take care of A/C power outages. For me, the main drawback of the device, is that it about every 4-6 months it sends out false positives. I’ve not determine the reason why, but a simple wiping of the probe’s prongs fixes the problem.

As for integration with HA, I developed an XML file for the device and it has been accepted into the OpenZWave database using OpenZWave 1.6. This means you’ll need to use either the up and coming (Beta) ZWave HA integration, or something else like ZWave2MQTT (which is what I use).

If you can run a wire, just use any standard security system water sensor such as the GRI 2600:
https://www.amazon.ca/GRI-2600-Volt-Water-Sensor/dp/B001DVVJIW

Runs on 12V and has a set of dry contacts. Can feed those contacts to the device of your choice. Directly to a set of GPIO pins on Pi, Arduino, zone on an alarm system, etc.

Unlike a wireless system, will be dead reliable.

Try getting in touch with https://www.aquasensing.com/
Battery-less water sensing technology (No external power source needed)