Bed Occupancy Sensor

1 Like

if you put the weight sensors on each foot of the bed it should display your weight accuratly. if you do it like i did, on a single latch, it gives you only a relative weight.

< 6 kg: emty, > 15 kg: 1 person, > 25 kg: 2 persons.

so yes, itā€™s more or less a binary sensor.

what i can see pretty well though is if i move (light sleep) or donā€™t move at all (deep sleep).

I was going to create the 4 cell version first but Iā€™ll try to create your version first. Less cables! Iā€™ll just create a binary switch to know if Iā€™m in bed or not. Thatā€™ll open a door to lot of possibilities. (Finally my lights wonā€™t trigger on movement in the lazy mornings when Iā€™m still in bed). Iā€™m still waiting for the HX711 to come.

How long are the wires for the load sensors, is it possible to solder on more wire to extend them if they arent long enough or do I need to do something else?

Ordered one set of sensor for my bed and just thought of idea, is it possible to make in chair?

I got office chair with 5 wheels like this:

the lenght of the wires should be around 40 cm, but there should be no problem extending them.

should be possible to sneak some load sensor construction into the chair. but youā€™d need to come up with a solution for a battery powered control unit, because you probably would not want to use a wired chair.

https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/6734/video-how-to-battery-powered-chair-occupancy-contact-sensor

1 Like

Made your bed sensor last night, @diplix! Works great.

Was a bit difficult since I had to use translate to understand the german, but figured it out after a couple of hours. I think the community would love it if you wrote something in english. Maybe with a more detailed description regarding the configuration in ESPEasy, since I guess it for many people, including me, will be their first time using it.

Looking forward to start making some fun automations with it!

2 Likes

can you screenshot your espeasy config, ive got it all working but cant make sense of the weight values being returned.

I set a tare of the number when theres nothing on (although its changes slightly) also tried the calibration points, both of them change the values but Iā€™m not sure what im looking at

I have been trying all day to get my nodemcu to connect to MQTT with the HX711 and it boot loops no matter what. Did you have that problem? I started with my own sketch and then tried yours same problem. What board are you using? Maybe mine arenā€™t good?

can anybody explain what is difference between channels (channel a gain 128, channel b gain 32, channel a gain 64) in espeasy? @diplix?

nope. i just left all the default values in espeasy.

My nodemcu resets too, did you find a solution for this issue?

I did, have been meaning to reply back. There is an open issue in the HX711 library. The fix I used is basically change all if the yeild() calls in the hx711.cpp to delay(1) calls.

Thank you!
I will give it a try later today.

Yeah I had to do the same and was finally able to get it working without it boot looping, its working well, not quite as accurate as I had hoped but still can easily tell the difference between 1-2 people in bed

I wanted to put a idea I had using this component.

I think it could be life changing for whoever can get a prototype going and potentially make a lot of money.

Couldnā€™t this be added to a baby seat in a car? If the weight of a baby is still in the seat a distracted parent would be notified on their phone if they move too far away from the car. I couldnā€™t imagine ever doing this myself, but you hear on the news all the time where a parent somehow forgets that their baby is in the car shuts the door on a hot day and goes along with their business.

Later to find out that its too late and their life has changed forever!

What do you guys think? Can this be done?

Hey @jordan.schulze @petrepa can you please share your work and the connections as I am struggling with that? Thanks.

Found some great inspiration here. Thank you all for sharing this awsome project.
Just made a couple of those sensors last weekend, and it works absolutely fantastic. Iā€™ve used the information from @diplix ā€œmesslatteā€ for the hardware configuration, as I use a two loadcell setup with EasyESP combined with the information Iā€™ve found here: https://selfhostedhome.com/diy-bed-presence-detection-home-assistant/. Iā€™ve put the load cells between the slatted frame and the bed using a 3d printed load cell holder for an easy installation.
The HX711 seems not to work reliably when connected to 3.3V on my NodeMCU V3. Connecting it to 5V fixed all issues in combination with ā€œESPEasy_mega-20180914 and ESP_Easy_mega-20180914_test_ESP8266_4096.binā€
Right now I use this in my bed for presence detection and in the chaiselongues in my living room to turn on the reading light. Going to integrate it into my tv couch as well to automatically pause the movie and control the light when I get up to grab some snacks or drinks. :wink:
@diplix Have you managed to write a rule that only transmits significant changes?

UPDATE: Using static IPs for my ESP8266 Sensors (ESPeasy) helped to get rid of some occasional freezes.

1 Like