Best CO2 sensor

The Senseair S8 is one of the best CO2 sensors under $100. Doubt that the Awair sensor is better. But for sure, there are probably better particle sensors than the one included in the kit.

Personally I have built multi sensors with Senseair S11 for CO2, BME680 for temp/hum/pressure/VOC and SPS30 for PM2.5.

4 Likes

The Awair uses the Amphenol Telair T6703-5K. Not too sure how it compares to the Sensair, havenā€™t found any real calibration data besides the specs.

But yeah my comment was mostly about the particle sensor. The Plantower used by the kit isnā€™t very good. The Honeywell used in the Awair is considerably better. And it includes the Sensirion TVOC sensor. Of course none of that justifies the price tag. Or the spy microphone.

Ā£299 for the Awair Element?!? Donā€™t know what happened, I bought it a few months ago when the regular price was ā‚¬ 199,= and thought that wasnā€™t cheap. Even chip shortages cant explain this price hike away. Granted, I wouldnā€™t buy at these prices either.

The microphone is for ambient noise, but it seems they dropped that metric. Netatmo does have it.

Yeah idk, a cloud connected device with an integrated mic would make me feel really uneasy. Especially if the manufacturer doesnā€™t have Googles/Amazons/Apples resources to fix potential vulnerabilities. Better run that thing local.

Which ones specifically? Theyā€™re using the same PM2.5 sensor as PurpleAir - though PA is using 2 rather than 1 - and the Senseair S8 gets pretty good reviews as @rinderblabla says.

I thought about adding/replacing the temp sensor with a BME680, but wanted something a bit more well-tested before I started into the foray of creating my own boardā€¦

The Plantower ones arenā€™t that great. There was a study performed under real world conditions here: Long-term field evaluation of the Plantower PMS low-cost particulate matter sensors. I could have sworn there was a way to get free access to the PDF, but I canā€™t find it anymore. Iā€™m almost sure I have a copy somewhere. Anyway, the main takeaway points are that while there is a rather good correlation to a reference station in cold weather, sensor accuracy varied wildly depending on the season and they started to show increasing drift after a couple of years. They also required manual calibration to a reference station.

Hereā€™s another paper that includes the Honeywell used in the Awair. Theyā€™re not that much better sadly, I would have expected better. Thereā€™s not too much data about it in the publication though, since they messed up itā€™s connection during the tests (5v vs 3.3v logic confusion).

So that justifies the price of the Awair even less.

2 Likes

For whom this may be of an interestā€¦

I integrated the amphenol Telaire T6615 CO2 sensor with z-uno via z-wave in HA. It works very well (could be integrated via ESPhome too by the way). This sensor has built-in dual channel for baseline calibration without the need to expose the sensor to fresh air (400ppm) regularly (each day or week). The evaluation kit came with two units. I use this for monitoring CO2 in my house and controlling exhaust ventilation. When comparing the reading against my two Netatmo Smart Indoor Air Quality Monitor I could see that Netatmo are sometimes reading up to a factor of 2x, so I was wasting energy by exhausting too much air to outdoor (Iā€™m in Quebec/Canada). The CO2 reading of my Netatmo weather station is better than the other Netatmo model as it reads from 100 to 300 ppm too high compared to T6615.

3 Likes

Hey Broval,

I got the cleargrass one but it doesnā€™t show anything but the pm2.5 in home assistant, is there something needed to make all the measurements show up?

Cheers!

Did you end up getting these and if so, how do you find them?

What integration did you use to add it? Try Xiaomi Miot Auto with HACS.

I had a second look after this message and I just ordered the AL-CO2-TVOC-W. Dam youā€¦lol. I am thinking on ModBus over TCP/IP (Wi-Fi).

haha

I have a few that had purchased for work as these where cheaper then other data logging temperature and humidity sensors that we use and I ended up getting one for myself at the same time.

Havenā€™t tried to connect it to home assistant yet but tried to connect it to WiFi using the app but that didnā€™t work so Iā€™m waiting for a RS485 adapter cable to be delivered as WiFi can be configured through there software.

I did find when I opened this up that it runs off a ESP-07 chip so ESP Home may be able to be installed on itā€¦

I think the best sensor is a Telaire T6615. Supported with esphome, and has itā€™s own internal calibration gas supply, so it doesnā€™t need periodic exposure to outside sir to maintain accuracy like virtually all the others need. Also supported very high concentration readings, so if you are trying to find the source of a CO2 problem, itā€™s the right tool for that job as well.

I highly recommend it, though itā€™s expensive at around $30.

Can you recommend a reseller? Here in The Netherlands they go aroud ā‚¬100. An SCD41 goes for ~ā‚¬50

Anybody knows the difference between all the SCD models? Iā€™m not an expert in this field and new to HA
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=scd&sort=BestMatch

I got an eval kit from mouser for about US$70, but it had 2 sensors in it. Iā€™m in the US so not much help on netherlands on distribution.

Good luck!

Yeah I also bought the Telaire 6615 for around ā‚¬ 100, at Mouser. Current lead time is 17 weeks, though :frowning:

I ordered the Netatmo kit today. If the CO2 Sensor is any goo then I will add two more, one for each floor of the house to automatically control my ventilation system.
I hope the kit will arrive tomorrow or friday.
Netatmo is fairly cheap (their indoor expansion sensor is just 60ā‚¬ when on sale) so it seemed like a good investment.

Of course, Ideally I would have the Sensors inside my Ventilation system, but thatā€™s a different challenge entirely.

Did anyone very tried the Tuya air quality sensor?

Iā€™ve read the whole topic, but didnā€™t really get an answer whatā€™s the best solution going forward.

I stumbled on this one: 43ļ¼… Off | Tuya WiFi Intelligent Air Housekeeper 6-in-1 Air Quality Monitor PM2.5/Formaldehyde/TVOC/CO2/Temperature/Humidity Detector

1 Like

How did you make it work? I donā€™t see it mentioned in ESPhome devices. There is only MH-Z19 support mentioned. Could you please advice?