Best CO2 sensor

I got that dev kit, so I’m the proud owner of two T6615 (basic model, diffusive, up to 2000ppm)

Question for @chayerd : do you have any notes on installation? :slight_smile:

• Is there anything I need to do with the vents, or is it okay to leave them closed?

• When hooking this up to an ESP32 I imagine I’ll need a level shifter, correct?

• The kit comes with a JSP connector. I have yet to test the pins but I’m guessing this is equivalent to the 4 pins usually required.

• Anything else to be aware?

My ESP32 board has a 5V pin rail so I think I can use that.

Thanks!

I have 2000ppm model, this the one that should have best precision for general occupancy application (at home in my case).

The vents can remain closed as long as the air to be monitored pass through the membrane on top of the unit. Those vents are used for application where the air is pumped remotely through the unit. The membrane is permeable to the air and protect the sensor against dust and large particules.

I use z-uno (z-wave) microcontroller that has 3.3V I/O so I had to use a level shifter. The level shifter I purchased (Iduino ST1167) was not right (all resistor the same) so I had to weld resistor in parallel to have proper voltage divider (3.3V/5V).

I tested the T6615 unit with the original connector but removed it and then welded a header so it could just be plugged in the breadboard.

All T6615 documents can be found here

See attached pictures of one of my 2 units

1 Like

Thanks for the super helpful info! Looks like we have literally the same model to work with.

I’ll have to make sure to verify the level shifters I bought (these) are properly bidirectional as claimed.

Nicely done with the box, by the way.

I’m also interested of building a HA CO2 sensor/meter with T6615 sensor.

Is 5V/3.3V level shifter really needed?

I have looked at this page and it doesn’t mention it:

Yes it appears to be bidirectional, looks the same as
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009.

Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter Hookup Guide
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bi-directional-logic-level-converter-hookup-guide

Explanation - Philips AN97055

Mine is not bidirectional but uses resistor divider as step down level shifter as per BOB-08745 (retired)

That was replaced by BOB-11978 (retired) which had proper resistor divider

now active model is the bi-directional BOB-12009

As per

you may need level shifter.

That depends on the specific board model you use, check the datasheet. In my case it was required by the z-uno.

Always best to stay within spec even if it could work outside of it. The overall system remain more robust in all operation cases. If you are willing to pay for a T6615… it’s not the level shifter that will break the bank :wink:

OK, I’ll order level shifters. Are there 100% working wiring instructions and code available for ESP32/ESPHome and T6615? I just need a proper CO2 sensor, nothing else.

I do have Airthings Wave Plus sensors but those seem to “calibrate” to false (too low) readings unless I regulary expose them to fresh air. Not sure how to do that, only outside air is fresh enough and there is now -6C…

1 Like

Ask koenvervloesem he may clarify if his project, that you referred to, has a level shifter between T6615 Tx/Rx and ESP322 GPIO35/GPIO32

This tread says that ESP i/o are not 5V tolerant
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Plugin/P000_Level_converter.html

While this says that GPIO can be setup to work at 5V
https://espeasy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Plugin/P000_Level_converter.html

Check this guide for connecting bi-directional level shifter
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bi-directional-logic-level-converter-hookup-guide

A bit more explained here

Even more explained here

2 Likes

Found this

https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8845

That explains ESP INPUTS only, not the whole board, are 5V tolerant as per Espressif founder & CEO.

On that Facebook discussion and elsewhere on internet, we can find positive and negative feedback about using input at 5V. Some claim that communication drops sometimes while others saw degradation of hardware.

We need to consider also the other device connected which could not function well if running at different voltage than spec.

T6615 spec says 5.0 Vdc UART

In UART 5V it should (correct me if I’m wrong) work at TTL levels
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/logic-levels/all

So connecting a ESP GPIO directly to T6615 Tx/Rx pins could work if close to each other.

Using level shifter is still the best to ensure optimum operation and reliability.

1 Like

The above is applicable to ESP. For Z-uno, it’s different:

Z-Uno can be damaged by 5 V on any of its input/output pins. Use voltage divider for input pins to down voltage to 3.3 V. For example use 1 kΩ and 2 kΩ resistors. Output pins in most cases can be connected directly — most digital sensors interpret 3.3 V as high voltage.
If you still need to convert 3.3 V to 5 V output, use transistor. Logic level converter can also be used.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the one. It appears to be a mosfet-based design, so hopefully quite robust.

When I get it and put it all together I’ll let you know how things work. I’m quite interested in comparing it with my MH-Z19s, especially over the longer term.

1 Like

I just got the T6615 eval kit and wired a quick test setup. Seems to be working with ESP32. I used a 4.7k resistor in the input pin. Need to check with scope what the voltage level is now.

3 Likes

This T6615 looks like a copy of the MH-Z14A I am using for years. It works with ESP Home using this library.
It works without an issue with D1 Mini using UART without doing anything with the voltage levels. So I can confirm what @chayerd posted above. ESP seems to be 5V tolerant.

Finally got around to testing the T6615, and FWIW just like @johny_mnemonic found, in the first iteration it appears to be working for me connected directly to the GPIO pins. This is an S3 dev kit.

UPDATE: confirmed also working with those bidirectional level converters.

Hello everyone…

Thx for all the info here…
I ended up with the sdc30 and it was easy to setup…
But it seems that it measures what it wants…
Unplugging it from my room locatio , bringing it outside, lkugging it in and calibrating it outside and then bringing it back inside seems to not work correct…
Staying around 400 outside after calibrating outside but when back in room it easily finds below 400 values…which would be a surprise if i have less co2 inside then outside…
Any ideas?

How did you connect it?

Due to availability, price and temperature range it seems like SCD30 CO₂, Temperature and Relative Humidity Sensor — ESPHome is still very interesting, now I need to bridge the gap between the SCD30 and the RJ45 jack

2 Likes

Hello…

I have it on a wemos d1 mini via i2c and a pms5003 via uart on it.
Used airgradient diy as a template

1 Like

Mine works fine on my esp32 directly attached. Never had an issue, but then esp32 boards vary a bit.

1 Like

Nice to see all these DIY approaches on CO2 measuring devices.

For info: at the moment a zigbee device from Heiman “Smart Air Quality Monitor HS3AQ” with a NDIR sensor is sold relative cheap: https://www.heimantech.com/product/index.php?type=detail&id=106
You find them for 40-70 Euro in Europe (I leave the search to you: Look for “Heiman HS3AQ” ). Strangely enough an Ali-express link asks +200 Euros.
I ordered 2 to check them, compare measurement with other devices I have (will open 1 to check the hardware) and will report back

At the moment I have an Airthings View Plus and a Aranet4 (both 200-280 Euro). I like it that both work on batteries. Both integrate nicely with HA.

• Airthings View Plus: only via the Airthings cloud. But you can put it everywhere in house as long as the device has wifi.
  • Aranet4: only Bluetooth/BLE; goes to about 6 meters from your HA bluetooth receiver. So in most homes cannot be moved to every place. Good that you don’t need an external cloud solution (happens that the Aithings cloud is offline).
  • The Heiman HS3AQ requires USB power source even if it has an internal rechargeble battery (which can run the device for 6 hours the specs say). Stupid, as Zigbee is low power;
    Edit: no idea on the quality of the CO2 measurement…; some update: the Heiman HS3AQ without zigbee measurements was in line with the Airthings View Plus out of the box (range 500-800ppm). But as it was without Zigbee I sent it back…
    Edit: the Heiman HS3AQ sold on Amazon is without Zigbee… even thought it has same product number as the on Heiman website. One does wonder…

Walter

2 Likes

Check the notes section of the link HEIMAN HS3AQ control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT you provided in your post.

2 Likes