Best door sensor

Probably the best is Smatthings zigbee multisensor.
I’m pretty content with Shelly DW and DW2 (Wifi).

What is common to both devices are built-in tilt sensor useful with tilting windows.

I don’t know other device neither wifi nor zigbee which sense the tilt.

I have sliding windows no tilt

Is this a concern I don’t see contact sensors listed:

Home Assistant - Wyze Integration

This is a custom component to allow control of various Wyze devices in Home Assistant using the unofficial API. Please note this mimics the Wyze app and therefore access may be cut off at anytime.

Highlights of what WyzeApi can do

• Control Wyze Bulbs as lights through HA
  • Control Wyze Plugs as switches through HA
  • Use Wyze Cameras as motion sensors NOTE: Disabled following API usage incident with Wyze
  • Turn on and off Wyze Cameras
  • Lock, unlock, and view status of lock and door for the Wyze Lock

I don’t think there is an issue but with any and all devices manufactures change firmware all the time. I have had many add ons / integrations over the years that have stopped working due to changes by the manufacture of the devices. Sometimes people in this community have figured out work around for these changes and other times I needed to move on to other devices.

I use the repo: https://github.com/kevinvincent/ha-wyzesense. No longer updated by Kevin Vincent, but it was updated to support version 2. Eventually I will most like move to Conbee II hub and Zigbee, but all my door sensors and motion sensors are working now so I do not see the need to move there yet.

One of the great things about HA is that there is always some way for us to get the job done. You are never stuck with what a manufactures thinks you want.

1 Like

My real issue besides that they will brick if you don’t catch the battery in time and the battery level is never correct is that they know full well this is a design/device flaw and are unwilling to my knowledge to not replace a defective product with the current version I paid for a device that is defective and now have to change my whole ecosystem for sensors as a result

For hidden sensors, see here Xiaomi Aqara Door/Window sensor HIDDEN INSTALL

1 Like

If you want something fairly cheap and fully local you can do what I did. I bought a bunch of these 433MHz AAA battery powered door/window sensors from AliExpress.com. When I bought them in March of 2019 they were less than $4 each and free shipping. I don’t like the idea of battery powered anything but if I do have to use batteries I want them to be common and cheap! I bought 25 of them (for just shy of $100) because of all the windows and doors on my house.

They are all bright flat white plastic finish and much of my house has wood trim (from 1982) so I just found some similar-colored spray paint and painted some of them to match. They blend in nicely:

Anyway, these units are very reliable and surprisingly feature-rich and energy efficient! I’ve had them on my house since early 2019 and they work great. They send out separate open vs. close signals and though I had no way to test a low battery state that I had read about in forums, I programmed my 433MHz demuxer to recognize the theoretical “low battery” message hoping that it might come from the unit (it was just a least significant bit change). For example:

'30BA0A': ['Front_Door', 'ON'],
      '30BA0E': ['Front_Door', 'OFF'],
      '30BA06': ['Front_Door_Battery', 'ON'],

Just a month ago one of them started sending out the low battery signal! I pulled it down and its battery was around 900mV. So, I wrote an automation that creates a persistent notification in HA to tell me which sensor needs a new battery. I’ve had three more send out the low battery signal and they’re always right around 1V.

Finally, I’m amazed that all of their AAA batteries lasted for 2.5+ years! I’m very happy that this Chinese gamble worked out so well. My only gripe about 433MHz devices is that there is no encryption on the signal so if someone wanted to mess with me, they could just listen for the signals and rebroadcast them at weird times to cause my automations to do things. I haven’t had that problem but being a prankster I’ve thought about building that kind of device. :smiling_imp:

I actually purchased one of those RTL sniffers and I’ve monitored the 433MHz band at my house to see if there are any of my neighbors using 433MHz devices and there aren’t (yet).

4 Likes

Agreed it was bad on their part. They did replace 5 of my version ones. They cost me $5 each and I got 2 plus years. Not that bad as I was learning HA and automations at the time. If starting today I would not go with Wyze.

Just announced, https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-zigbee-3-0-usb-dongle-plus/
$9.00

These do not require any other hub to use with HA? If so, how to install? Thanks.

They appear to be zigbee UEI Comcast Xfinity Door/Window Sensor (XHS2-UE) Zigbee compatibility

Although it may pay to check with this guy whether he got it to work Sercomm XHS2-SE

I found this from zigbee2Mqtt site, and it is listed as a Universal Electronics Vendor.

oops. Didn’t realized the link you provided above me is the same.

Although it may pay to check with this guy whether he got it to work Sercomm XHS2-SE

He said he never got it to pair with zigbee2mqtt, but successfully paired to his Nortek ZigBee adapter.

If you read @tteck’s other posts in this thread, he is using zigbee2mqtt :slight_smile:

1 Like

No hub is needed. They work good with z2m

1 Like

I got the XHS2-SE (the Xfinity model) to pair with ZHA… but no updates would come through (e.g. it would show as ‘closed’ all the time even when I changed things). I’ve switched to zigbee2mqtt and they’re working well… but I would love to know how to get them working properly with ZHA.

I have those Aqara sensors as well. They have been working very well for the month or two I had them. I can’t tell yet how quickly they’ll run out of battery and how reliably that can be detected beforehand.

I replaced my Wyze door sensors with Shelly Door Window 2 and replaced my Wyze motion sensor with Shelly. I also have a Shelly Flood. No hub, cloud, or problems using the Shelly Integration.

I also got some extra sensors (temp, tamper, lux, battery) built in with the primary Shelly sensors.

The Shelly sensors are much bigger than the Wyze and more expensive but I bought them because they meet my current needs, have better support in HA (the Wyze HACS integration support went cold) and because I think Shelly will be a better company/supplier for my future needs.

I initially chose Wyze because they were cheap. Now I choose sensors based on quality, support, simplicity, and long-term viability. Wyze was a disappointment. I hope I made the right choice with Shelly - time will tell…

1 Like

This is what the Aeotech door sensor looks like when it is installed - it is practically invisible!

You have to open the door and look down from the top to see it.

I have these shelly wifi door sensors but i find them rather slow.

1 Like

Those are definitively slower than Zigbee. But with recent firmware (I think since v1.10) should react up to 2 secs. It might be still too slow depending on your needs. But it’s lot quicker than year or 2 ago with previous firmware (up to 9 secs)