Best/Easiest way to package up a BME280 and ESP8266? (very newbie)

Hi All,

I’m more or less new to these types of projects, I recently created a few BME280/ESP8266 projects and they’re sitting on a breadboard, my question is what would be the best/easiest way to package this up so I can stick them in some rooms? I don’t have a 3d printer but i do have some small plastic boxes, should I just wire up the ESP8266 directly to the BME280 and completely skip the breadboard? For the BME280 to remain accurate should I cut a bunch of holes into the plastic or somehow stick the BME280 out of the plastic box? Is hot glue safe to use directly onto these types of electronics? Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to move from the ‘bench’ and into production use!

These are the boxes I currently have:

Jon

1 Like

Yes, or another option:

The esp will generate heat, keep it as far away as possible.

Yes, although excessive heat will ruin almost all electronics, so be judicious. Epoxy resin is also good.

See also this thread Esp8266 - how to get from breadboard to pcb? (although it has gone a bit astray!)

I made several containers out a pvc drain pipe and some 1/4" plywood.

I just cut the PVC pipe into 2" lengths the drilled a hole for the USB plug and cut a small square hole for the temp/humidity sensor (I’m using DHT11) to sit in.

then I cut out two circles of the plywood to match the diameter of the outside of the PVC pipe. I drilled 10 small holes in both the top & bottom pieces of the plywood for airflow.

I mounted the Nodemcu to a small project bread board that had a sticky back that I got off Amazon and connected the DHT11 to the hole with hot glue.

I then screwed it all together with nylon screws and standoff’s.

Paint the whole thing black except the DHT11 and looks just like an Amazon Echo.

I don’t have pictures of it but you get the idea I think.

Thanks everyone its much appreciated I think I can come up with something, I like the PVC Pipe idea, short and sweet, I want to do a small BME2866 setup for outside to get some external temperature data and PVC would be perfect for that too.

see the thread I referred to two above. I make no judgment on who is right about long term use of breadboards.

yeah, I’ve read that one.

I think for the use case of very low powered Nodemcu’s with a couple of sensors stuck to them they are just fine.

I’ve had them running like that for a couple of years now.

I doubt I’d use them for driving relays or the like tho.

1 Like