Best hardware for installing HA?

You don’t need privileged and device, only use one or the other. If you’re worried about devices changing names on reboot, use privileged and use the device under the path /dev/serial/by-id/, as it’s name won’t change on reboot.

HA can be installed virtually on anything these days… When I started, I used a Raspberry Pi3. I was surprised to get it up and running under 30 minutes. I then had to figure out how to set up groups, sensors, and automations…etc that took me a while :slight_smile:

Over the period of time, the number of devices grew significantly, and Pi just couldn’t handle it any longer, I started seeing more crashes. I then moved on to Ubuntu 16.04 about 8 months back, and extremely stable since then. It now runs on a AMD 64 bit 8GB memory desktop, and he performance improved significantly. If you add SSD and newer hardware, it will literally fly!

I still have a few RPis that I have my Home Assistant running, it is a great way to get into the Home Automation space without spending too much. But once you start it, you can’t really help but spending money on it :blush:

1 Like

I never tried RPi since I have an ESXi server for NAS, Plex, Unifi controller plus a bunch of other microservices, of which HA became another member.
However I do remember back to the days where I ran Raspbmc (old kodi on RPi 1b setup) and the number of times I got a corrupted SD card was not anywhere close to funny. I changed to run the RPI to boot from USB stick and now years later it’s still going strong as a backup tvheadend server.

1 Like

Cockpit is managment UI for Linux server
It include docker web UI as well

thanks for this!

I am basically up and running already, I switched over by accident while testing and every single thing works, so I stayed with it!

Wow this is fast…

I just tried that and it fails
so docker install is

docker run -d -p 8123:8123 --name Home-Assistant --restart=always --net=host --privileged -v /home/mark/HomeAssistant/:/config  homeassistant/home-assistant
zwave:
    usb_path: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00

i get Can’t find device /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00

same is if put /dev/zwave (which is seen by ubuntu but i guess not the docker??) if I set it in 99-usb-serial.rules

any ideas please?

Must add --device=/dev/yourdevice to your docker run

I think the problem is that the /dev/serial/by-id/ directory contains symbolic links to the actual device names in /dev/. Does it work if you specify --device=/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 instead of --privileged? Does it work if you specify the device string and privileged together?

thanks guys… I removed --privileged and put the = in the device part and it works perfectly now… thank you.

getting loads of warnings in my log file from the ip camera but that is a different issue :slight_smile:

You can run a proper OS on QNAP virtualization station to do docker. Pass the USB RELIABLY that way to the vOS.
then to docker with all available tools.

I’m 1/2 way there after struggling with QNAP USB bullshit and docker bullshit, gone to HA on real VM on QNAP and its fine. USB passes in QNAP to VM well. certainly faster to reboot VM than to re-pop docker, but that’s an unfair calculation and may be just as slow with docker on full linux.

So I agree with all advice, and give you the best reason to pull away from QNAP docker implementation beyond USB shittiness- GET YOUR APPS OFF THE QNAP IP!

only with VMs can you easily get an app off the QNAP IP which means you can sleep better. You can dedicate a whole NIC to the VM doing your dockering or HA directly, and then not worry about QNAP security (almost at all)

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I run one already for windows 7 for my backups, but agreed QNAP docker is bollocks!

I’m having great success running a variety of Docker containers on my QNAP TVS-682. HomeAssistant with zwave USB and a serial to usb adapter for my Monoprice WHA controller/amp all work flawlessly. Another container runs Pi-hole. Another container runs Mosquitto.

there is a qnap package for Mosquito

Is this problem fixed with QNAP? It is the same in Synology?

To my knowledge/experience Synology has the same issue.

I can only reproduce the problem when I unplug an usb and reinsert it. When I do that a new path will be assigned to the usb device.

On the bright side though, a reboot always assigns the same path to your connected usb device. Just make sure you configure the correct initial usb mount and you’re good to go.

Seen the fact that my hobby isn’t plugging usb devices in and out each day I think I should be fine. :sunglasses: