Best hardware setup for Esphome media player and notifier

Sorry, no schema available, but you can use the pins named in my esphome yaml file for connecting those boards. Those 3 i2s wires in between (besides power and speaker) are all you need.

1 Like

I bought the components, @gdschut mentioned, assembled it and tested it last week. I used the also the mentioned yaml-setup. The TTS is really working fine. But streaming media or a simple .wav of .mp3-file gives problems. The ESP gives some weird sounds and stops working. After reset I can play TTS without problems.
I tried serveral speakers, but no luck.

error message:

[11:52:35][W][component:214]: Component i2s_audio.media_player took a long time for an operation (0.54 s).
[11:52:35][W][component:215]: Components should block for at most 20-30ms.

Any suggestions how to get normal sound by streaming media?

ESPHome version 2024.2.2

I use this for playing mp3’s only, and not for streaming. First I had the same results, but after resampling the mp3’s to 32khz sample rate it sounds good enough for me. I was told this is caused by the limitations of the ESP-32 module. Using a more powerfull version of the ESP-32 should have better results, but I did not try that.

1 Like

Good suggestion to check an other ESP-32 module. For my alarm speaker I changed the (alarm)sound file to a sample rate of 32khz. And it works! Thanks for the tip!