Best mini-pc box to install HA?

Just read your text now.

A hint from my side: Add another HDD to the device and store there the DBs and stuff. Writing massively logs and data to a database is a real SSD killer. Not really good to use a SSD for that beside it’s an enterprise disk.

Update: I am still fine with the BMAX B2. No issues so far. Only thing that happend is the the first HDD died. But that might was just a faulty one I added in addition for the DBs

Has anyone ever installed HAOS on a fitlet3 from Compulab (https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet3/) or had experience with it?

Not, that I did it, but I see nothing, that should be stopper…

1 Like

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

As BebeMischa says: it should work.
On the other hand: it seems to be quite expensive and you get 4 ethernet ports and will use only 1

3 Likes

It is like pizza delivery in a Porsche… but, yes, it will work…

You may have look at Welcome - Shuttle Europe for just a reliable Volkswagen, that will do the job fine too :wink:

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers! Of course there are cheaper options. I was thinking about using the fitlet3 because it’s fanless, low energy and has a DIN-rail mount. But after some reading I think I will use an Intel NUC instead.

Does someone known if I can I stall HAOS on this one? Now running HAOS on rpi4 smooth but want little more power.

Hi, do you mind sharing the reason why you need more power?
Ok, the system is quite cheap but I wouldn’t do this switch and take a bigger step.

Have around 15 other apps installed (add-on) and want some faster processing.
Plex for example.

Now a RPi4 with a external SSD connect to a USB2 port (usb3 port gives me errors).
Wifi 5ghz on RPi4 is not fully working. About 40-50mbit speed and want more speed.

Thats why I think about this bmax.

You would not regret switching from a Pi to a PC any second, believe me. I’ve done that in the past, it’s night and day… :wink:

Yes, I have that exact model. I installed HA operating system on and external SSD connected tò it

This box have a internal 128gb ssd storage.

Did you had any issues installing HAOS?

nope, the whole switch took me 20 minutes of work and 4 hours of waiting for the backup to be restored (quiet normal, when talking several Gb’s of data).

It was child easy…

what ‘mini’ pc do you use?

1 Like

I wanted to keep Windows in the internal HD so that if I need a PC, I can still boot this

Thats a good option also if you want that. For me I will install HAOS full on internal ssd when I decide to switch from RPi4 to Bmax B1 Pro

I know it’s an old thread - so just for the record.

I started with openhab in 2018 on a RPi (3 and 4) before I migrated to a NUC (BOXNUC7PJYH2) because of stability issues from the (corrupt) SD-Card.

After migrating to the NUC I moved over from openhab to Homeassistant.
I cannot tell how good HA runs on a RPi, but I am extremly happy with the NUC (8GB RAM / 64 GB SSD).

I know that a lot of people are happy with RPi and SD-cards and there are ways to make it more stable (heavy writing to DB on another drive / NAS), but I think spending a little more on a NUC is worth it,

1 Like

since couple of weeks now I use a Dell Optiplex 3050. Best choice ever.
Full cold OS boot takes around 5 minutes, maybe less.
A HA restart only done within 30-45 seconds. Based on my 52 integrations.

1 Like