Best mini-pc box to install HA?

I don’t have any issues like that with the B2. I would check if there is too much dust inside. And have an eye on the CPU temperature. You might find something in the BIOS as well.

1 Like

I am considering a Wyse 5070 like this on Ebay:
Dell Wyse 5070 Thin Client Pentium Silver J5005 4GB RAM 16GB eMMC No OS $69.99

Add a SSD 128GB and load Ubuntu.
Further load Frigate and add a usb Coral (when available) and external usb HDD for any recordings for 4 cameras.
Would that work?

Hi guys.
I decided to put a hotel car under HA.
there is an option to take such a device for $100:
Intel mini computer, RAM8 gb, ssd 256 gb, intel celeron j4125.
As an alternative to BMAX, is it suitable?

For everyone using a minipc, did you install ha os in a virtual machine (windows, linux, or so), or burned the ha os in the disk as specified in the intel-nuc installation docs? it looks like a waste of resoources installing it in a virtual machine

I use a dedicated Celeron mini PC just for HA supervised. So f…g smooth :wink:

Actually, using a virtual machine (I use Proxmox) lets you run other things besides HA. So it frees up your resources, not wastes them. Plus, the VM has excellent clone/backup capabilities. That said, there’s not a right or wrong here - both methods work just fine.

1 Like

actually, if your minipc with Xgb of me and Xgb of disk, and you run HA on a virtual machine, you can’t give all the resources to HA, but a lot a used for the OS and just for running the VM software!
i’ve heard that many arent able to install Home Assistant OS following the NUC procedure (directly flashing to the ssd)

Just read your text now.

A hint from my side: Add another HDD to the device and store there the DBs and stuff. Writing massively logs and data to a database is a real SSD killer. Not really good to use a SSD for that beside it’s an enterprise disk.

Update: I am still fine with the BMAX B2. No issues so far. Only thing that happend is the the first HDD died. But that might was just a faulty one I added in addition for the DBs

Has anyone ever installed HAOS on a fitlet3 from Compulab (https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet3/) or had experience with it?

Not, that I did it, but I see nothing, that should be stopper…

1 Like

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum!

As BebeMischa says: it should work.
On the other hand: it seems to be quite expensive and you get 4 ethernet ports and will use only 1

3 Likes

It is like pizza delivery in a Porsche… but, yes, it will work…

You may have look at Welcome - Shuttle Europe for just a reliable Volkswagen, that will do the job fine too :wink:

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers! Of course there are cheaper options. I was thinking about using the fitlet3 because it’s fanless, low energy and has a DIN-rail mount. But after some reading I think I will use an Intel NUC instead.

Does someone known if I can I stall HAOS on this one? Now running HAOS on rpi4 smooth but want little more power.

Hi, do you mind sharing the reason why you need more power?
Ok, the system is quite cheap but I wouldn’t do this switch and take a bigger step.

Have around 15 other apps installed (add-on) and want some faster processing.
Plex for example.

Now a RPi4 with a external SSD connect to a USB2 port (usb3 port gives me errors).
Wifi 5ghz on RPi4 is not fully working. About 40-50mbit speed and want more speed.

Thats why I think about this bmax.

You would not regret switching from a Pi to a PC any second, believe me. I’ve done that in the past, it’s night and day… :wink:

Yes, I have that exact model. I installed HA operating system on and external SSD connected tò it

This box have a internal 128gb ssd storage.

Did you had any issues installing HAOS?