Best motion sensor?

Wow what a discussion I created. Thank you everyone but I think I will avoid the soldering as I just really want plug and go. Z-Wave it is and 1 Gen 5 usb and 1 gen 5 Fibaro…to start with plus found some Innr GU10s for £15, cheaper than the Hues

They are great! I have six of them in the corridor and they are triggered by a Fibaro Multisensor :wink:

ahh great to hear! and this is all via Home Assistant I presume ? :slight_smile:

@MarkR Of course. Innr Bulbs connected to hue, hue connected to HA, HA connected to the Z-Stick and the Z-Stick connected to the Fibaro Sensor. :relaxed:

I use an Aeotec multisensor, which may be very different from the Fibaro so I can only speak to my direct experience.

I base my comments on this info from Aeotec’s support site:

There is a big difference to USB power and Battery Power in the Multisensor 6, though it may only be a few small items, it greatly changes the usability of your miniature Multisensor.

USB Power
Always awake, this allows for easy configuration of this device
Allows for faster sensor reports
Can be used as a repeater node

Parameter Settings Change Recommendations:
Parameter 101 [4 byte]: 240 (report Light, Humidity, Temperature, and UV)
Parameter 111 [4 byte]: 30 (report every 30 seconds)
Parameter 40 [1 byte]: 1 (enable selective reporting, automatically updates reports when passing a threshold)

Battery Power
Mostly sleeping, you will need to wake up the Multisensor in order to configure it (this is common for all Z-Wave Battery Devices)
Minimum report time for sensors is 240 seconds, but setting this would greatly reduce its battery life to a matter of a few months or less if set to this.
Wakeup Interval sets the minimum setting for parameter 111-113, by default this is set to 3600. You must change the Wakeup Interval in order to set parameter 111 under 3600. (ie. If parameter 111 is set to 240, and wake interval is 3600, then the report interval will still be 3600).
Cannot be used as a repeater node

Parameter Settings Change Recommendations (Leave most items as default):
Parameter 101 [4 byte]: 241 (report Light, Humidity, Temperature, UV, and Battery) [default settings]
Parameter 111 [4 byte]: 3600 (report every 3600 seconds or 1 hour) [default settings]
Parameter 40 [1 byte]: 0 (disable selective reporting)

I made my choice of Aeotec over Fibaro based on the number of people posting here with problems getting the Fibaro set up over the number of people with problems with the Aeotec. Not a scientific survey for sure, but I bought two multisensors and had them up and running immediately. I have not had an issue with them since installing them and they register motion fast enough for me to use them to turn on lights when I enter a room.

As always, any opinion I give is just that - an opinion. It’s based solely on my personal experience.

4 Likes

I was using 433mhz sensors with pilight. But now i have Xiaomi sensors. What i like about the motion sensor is that it is really small compared to the 433mhz ones. The price is not to bad either under € 10 for the motion sensor. And the motion sensor works with the Yeelight bulbs i have.

But you need the gateway which is used to control all Xiaomi devices it costs arround € 25.
Right now there is no official Home Assistant component. but there is a good working custom component.

how sensitive are this from xiaomi? They look really interesting. But im currently running self-build my sensors motion sensors. and they can detected a hand wave from about 7 meters away?

Does they not work by polling? Thus reporting a movement only every 10 seconds?

@FleshFear They don’t really detect a hand wave… They are advertised as smart human-body sensor. So they should only fire when there is a human moving arround, I was in a 3 meter distance standing still and waving, but that will not activate the sensor. When i did a quick test setting one step forward it sees me at a 6m range (all i could test, i have a small house :wink:) But they advertise 7m range.

@touliloup Yes i believe there is some kind of polling, but for my use cases there is no need to have more movements reported.( right now i use it to turn the light on in the hallway when walking down the stairs.)

I have both Aeortec Multisensor and the Fibaro sensor installed and working for the past 4 months.
Still both reporting 100% battery.
With Fibaro I could not figure out how to disable the annoying light when it detects the movement. It is too bright and is a huge light.

Press the b button three times and send this as advanced configuration. It will completely disable the LED

{
"node_id": 3,
"parameter": 80,
"value": 0
}

Change the node ID

1 Like

so it only reports motion every 10 seconds and imerdetly after motion has been detected…

So you have a delay between 1 to 10 seconds?

There is no delay, when motion is detected you will see it directly in HA.
But im on the version of Jan 14, 2017 and in the last update of the component polling of the motion sensor is disabled. it poll only every 10 seconds after motion is detected. What this really means i don’t know. I will test it when i have time, but it’s gonna take a while. You can always ask in that topic

Do you know how does it handle low battery state? Will it send different code for that or just flashing/beeping?
Thanks!

Thank you, It worked like a charm.

Yes it will blink red every 3s as soon as the power pass under 2.4V and send a low voltage signal.
It also send a signal when the battery cover is opened.

In normal operation you can set it up to report movement repetitively every 5 seconds or 5 minutes (will report movement immediately, but then wait 5s or 5m until re-reporting movement).

You can also deactivated the red led that illuminate the detector when movement is detected. It’s not so important for alarm but can be useful for home-automation (you can see that led ON on the first photo in the following album)

I’ve shared the manual as well as photo here:
Keriu P829 user manual and photo.

Thanks a lot for information!

1 Like

Hi

With the receivers you mentioned the range would be very poor, is that correct?

If you’re speaking about the mqtt bridge, it depend which receiver/emitter you use.
I would strongly discourage anyone to use the FS1000A as the range is extremely poor!

You could use an SRX882 and a STX882 or more generally any superheterodyne set.

With this kind of set you’ll achieve quite a good range.