Best motion sensor?

Thank you, It worked like a charm.

Yes it will blink red every 3s as soon as the power pass under 2.4V and send a low voltage signal.
It also send a signal when the battery cover is opened.

In normal operation you can set it up to report movement repetitively every 5 seconds or 5 minutes (will report movement immediately, but then wait 5s or 5m until re-reporting movement).

You can also deactivated the red led that illuminate the detector when movement is detected. It’s not so important for alarm but can be useful for home-automation (you can see that led ON on the first photo in the following album)

I’ve shared the manual as well as photo here:
Keriu P829 user manual and photo.

Thanks a lot for information!

1 Like

Hi

With the receivers you mentioned the range would be very poor, is that correct?

If you’re speaking about the mqtt bridge, it depend which receiver/emitter you use.
I would strongly discourage anyone to use the FS1000A as the range is extremely poor!

You could use an SRX882 and a STX882 or more generally any superheterodyne set.

With this kind of set you’ll achieve quite a good range.

Thanks !

with the SRX822 and STX822 what range do you get?

Also you mentioned a receiver which is a usb stick? which one is this and is the range any good of the usb stick? I would like to connect it to my raspberry pi.

I’m using Hue sensor and Aeotec sensor. But since I’ve come across Xiaomi sensor I’m really impressed with the price and quality of. And it’s cheaper than Philips or Aeotec…

I don’t have a practical experience with those USB dongle so I cannot really tell.

With the SRT822/STX822 I’m not sure which range you’ll get as I’ve never went above the maximal range, but you should get 100m easily in open field (without external antenna).
I have a PIR sensor that is about 10 meters away from the bridge and with 3 wall in between, it was never an issue to catch the signal from it.

I have a similar security alarm system G90b if you have heard and I want to integrate it into home assistant that when it is armed home assistant also knows alarm system is armed and if any sensor is triggered it alerts you and sound an alarm through Sonos or Alexa too have you a similar kind of setup ?? If yes any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Another route to go is Xiaomi motion sensors. They are tiny, respond near instantly to motion in HA, battery powered and cheap (under $10). You need the gateway though. But Xiaomi have plenty of other cheap, good quality items like door sensors, temp/humidity etc that are equally cheap.

The problem with Xiaomi motion sensor report the detection only every X seconds no? So their would be a delay that is ok for security, but not for automatic light for example.

If you build a 433MHz receiver you’ll be able to receive the signal from the different sensor (movement, door, water leak, …).
But you wont be able to know if the alarm is armed or not (except if the central send a signal when armed/unarmed, but I take that for unlikely).

No, for motion they are instant. I have 5 or 6 and they are great for motion. for lux that isn’t great as it only records every hour (i think) or when motion.

I have 1 at the top of the stairs and is used to turn the landing light up higher from dimmed when motion is detected. I don’t even get to put one foot on the bottom stair and motion is detected. Maybe 3-4m up the stairs.

i wasn’t wanting yet another hub, but these are really good and in my opinion.

Which sensor exactly is it? The XIAOMI Mi Human Body Sensor ?

Also why not consider a RTL-SDR receiver acting as a 433mhz receiver?
You can pick up these for less than $10 on ebay (they are basically DVB-T receivers with modified driver/firmware).
You can deploy a docker container that does rtl_433 to mqtt bridge.
I have a 433mhz power monitor that I have in my project list to support like this.
Of course RTL-SDR is receive only, so this is a one way bridge.

2 Likes

yes that is the older one without the light sensor

newer version is

Original Xiaomi Smart Home Aqara Human Body Sensor

which comes with a stand, ceiling/wall mount
i have both and both detect the same.

Mine too, pretty much instant. They are by far the most cost effective solution I have found.

For what I have read in this post I think this is the most cost effective solution. Does these sensores connect directly to the local wifi network? or do you need a brick like the Philips Hue?

You need the Xiaomi Gateway or you build/use something like this: Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

For what it’s worth… I went Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 and Neo CoolCam Battery Powered PIR Sensor (along with Neo CoolCam Door/Window Detector sensors) - For the price point, it was worth it. Was fortunate that I was able to buy 3 of each on Amazon as a pack for around $50/pack and around $50 for the Z-Stick - cordless drill, some swearing, some posting here and up and running they were and still are. Works like a charm. They don’t detect temperature but do handle light/motion. The door/window sensor is just that (simple reed switch.)

Probably a little too sensitive I suppose as my wife got tired of notifications of motion in the house when we’re away at work and the dog decides to go on a walkabout - but I can’t complain for ~$150 into it.