Best Overall Zigbee Stick

Well, in my opinion not really. Except you want to reflash one of them working as a router.

Ok, thanks for advice, I bought now 1.

DO you recommend to use official integration or flash it to work as zigbee2mqtt?

IS this guide current?

You mean the firmware it is coming with? Mine came preflashed with Konekk’s latest coordinator firmware. I stopped Z2M, pulled the old stick and inserted the new one, set the new port on Z2M and was good to go. Very painless.

This thread might be helpful to get you go.

I think you don’t need to flash it (at least mine came with the latest firmware, bought in some local vendor shop as a brand new).

As much as I like the Sonoff dongle, it has issues - some devices (e.g. IKEA battery switches) got battery drain (<1 day, for example) etc. You can find it on github Z2M (happens on ZHA as well apparently).

I have huge issues with Conbee 2 and deConz. Devices keep falling out of the network, even a repeater disappeared :frowning:, can’t see a device I add. Trying to troubleshoot this in another thread.
People in HA Discord are particularly anti-Conbee. They trash it every time and recommend using other sticks

The general recommendation today is to buy a Zigbee Coordinator USB radio adapter based on the Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 SoC if you use Home Assistant’s own ZHA integration or instead buy a Zigbee Coordinator USB radio adapter based on the Texas Instruments CC2652P SoC if you use Zigbee2MQTT, (and if you use deCONZ/Phoscon then buy a ConBee II adapter). See example:

and

or

Regardless of which Zigbee Coordinator adapter or radio type and Zigbee gateway solution be sure to read and try to follow this guide for Zigbee interference avoidance and network range/coverage optimization → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference and optimize for getting better range + coverage

Zigbee also uses mesh networking topology, which means that most mains-powered devices are a “Zigbee Router” that can act as a signal repeater and range extended by transmitting data over long distances by passing data messages through the Zigbee network mesh of intermediate devices to reach more distant Zigbee devices. Thus to have a healthy Zigbee network, you need many Zigbee Router devices relatively close to each other in order to achieve good coverage and range.

Any battery-powered device will be a “Zigbee End Device” which means that they do not route/repeat messages and thus does not contribute to routing to help extend the range of the Zigbee network mesh.

If using Zigbee2MQTT is a requirement now then today you really want CC2652P based USB adapter:

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/adapters/#recommended

Be sure to update to latest firmware, use long USB extension cable, and connect to USB 2.0 hub/port!

Personally use ITead “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” (model “ZBDongle-P”) based on CC2652P:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/iteads-sonoff-zigbee-3-0-usb-dongle-plus-model-zbdongle-p-based-on-texas-instruments-cc2652p-20dbm-radio-mcu-now-sold-for-19-99/340705

1 Like

I remind only Conbee2 was mentioned without additional context.
In early days I found Deconz very limited (or it gave me such an impression). At this point, I was decided for Z2M anyway.

@clj-reactor see above

The fact is, I flash my Conbee2 using my Windows-based desktop and factory flashing tool.
I would appreciate the possibility to flash it without disconnecting from my rPi4.

Currently, I play with the thought of having an ethernet/wifi-connected coordinator. Not sure it’s the best option but having it decoupled from HA hardware seems to me a good option (reliability-wise)

1 Like

Wifi, no. wired ethernet yes.

I understand differences between wifi and ethernet, but is there anything not obvious in choosing coordinator connected to HA via wifi?
I mean, the most important thing is to ensure zigbee network stability. connection to HA is secondary and I believe local wifi and ethernet both can be very close to each other reliability-wise

1 Like

Every time I see it mentioned, people say “no way, don’t do it”. I haven’t investigated. But I do trust the advice on this page Supported Adapters | Zigbee2MQTT

1 Like

Well 25 $ for a router seems high: which is the advantage between a router, and say, a light bulb places conveniently to be used as router?

Any other (cheap) router that you recommend to put here and there where you don’t want the hassle to install a light/switch zigbee device?

unreliability of WiFi, I would definetely NOT go that route

2 Likes

Same for ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT. Remote adapters work OK over wired Ethernet but not ok over Wi-Fi

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#warning-about-wi-fi-based-zigbee-to-serial-bridgesgateways

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/advanced/remote-adapter/connect_to_a_remote_adapter.html#_1-install-ser2net

https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/advanced/remote-adapter/connect_to_a_remote_sonoff_zbbridge.html#_1-flash-tasmota-zbbridge

I would like to thank you for the advice. Yesterday my Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle has arrived and today I have successfully migrated my whole network to it. It works phenomenal compared to Conbee II stick. @Tamsy Thank you a lot for the reccomendation. :star_struck: You made my life a lot easier :pray:

:thinking: The only problem which I still have (and it seem unresolveable) is that my IKEA Tradfri Shortcut Buttons not connecting to the network. Well, in theory they connect, but they would become unavailable in a couple of seconds after connection.

1 Like

But do they generate an event?

Did you get the P or the new E version ?

Hi,
I’ve got the Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus and have about 25 sensors in my house. But only 22 are working. Even new ones only work for some minutes and then they lose connection.
But Zigbee should support approx. 250 devices, shouldn’t it?
Is this dongle the problem? Can I attached a second one?

if u r sure (22/25), u can add a second one as a router. this worked just fine for me.

Most mains devices are routers.

@jtihonov how is your sonoff stick after some time. I am in the same boat, I have conbee + deconz and it is so unreliable.