Best (preferably WiFi & Local-Only & Matter based) Thermostat for HA with these properties -?

I have a Nest Learning thermostat which I have tightly tied into manually written complex logic in HA for opening and closing 10 Flair vents throughout the home taking into acount room presence, temperature, back pressure in the forced air heating/cooling etc.

Occassionally the thermostat goes offline which destroys the vent functionality when in that stste of course.

The logic relies upon these climate parameters:

For the thermostat:

• on startup of HA
  • state changes FROM unknown or unavailable
  • hvac_action: {‘off’,‘idle’,‘heating’,‘cooling’,‘fan’)
  • hvac_mode: (‘heat’, 'cool; ‘heat_cool’, ‘off’)
  • fan_mode: (‘on’, ‘off’)

And for the vents:

• on startup of HA
  • state changes FROM unknown or unavailable

And generally:

• room occupancy changes

I was thinking of moving from the nest learning thermostat which does not have matter/local support (the flair vents don’t have that either but have been more reliable not going offline as much) and was thinking of just switching to a newer nest model that does have the mater support but I was just reading they do not support the hvac_action, which is required. Due to the timing with vents that do not open immediately (1 minute delay or so), to rely upon hvac_mode is not the way to go (it could be on ‘heat’ and not be blowing also), etc., etc.

A long term project for me is to convert these vents to being local and that will be some surgery on my part on those, but I am asking here - and I don’t care if the names or types of properties of the thermostat are the same as the above - but is there a local only via wifi thermostat that I can use to replace the nest unit (I prefer not to use anything that requres an extra hub etc (not zigbee or zwave)) - ?

One solution I’ve found (which requires tinkering with your HVAC system a bit) is to connect a relay to the power inputs for the pump that pumps water for my heating system. (You can probably do something similar with an air handler and its fan.) The relay then provides a dry contact for a sensor; I use a homemade ESP32 sensor, but you could easily use a Zigbee or Z-wave sensor too. When the dry contact is closed, Home Assistant is notified that the heating system is active (in effect, hvac_action is “heating”).

This is the relay I used; it’s nothing fancy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BND2FPZ3

Kudos to you but I am too lazy for that lol… Looking for a thermostat I can just buy that will do the work needed via matter… It does not have to have the same exact kind of properties, just as long as there is a way to program and act upon changes with the same functionality available that I have now…

If there isn’t anything out there then maybe I will have to resort to utilizing something similar to your clever trickery :slight_smile: