Best professional wireless Alarm system choice for Hass.io (Europe/France)

I agree, however this way you will also miss updates that fix a security issue with the system, so the risk is just shifted.

1 Like

Have you looked at the konnected.io setups? While its not a professional product it should meet your requirements for now.
https://konnected.io/

I have indeed, but it looks like Konnected is mainly focus on wired systems. I’m looking for a professional standalone wireless alarm easy to operate and not a DIY system that I would probably mess-up with ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry but this:

And this

is contradicting. A very reliable system will always be wired. Wireless is generally less reliable than wired and in addition it’s “easier” to hack into a wireless system, whereas with a wired system the attacker needs physical access to the network.

2 Likes

I have to disagree on that poin, at least partially. :wink:
Good wired systems will be more reliable on average than wireless ones, that is a fact. But you can’t say that wireless systems aren’t reliable only because they are wireless. Modern professional wireless systems CAN be very reliable.

Agreed with the fact that wireless are easier to hack but I think this is not a real issue : I’ve never heard of a burglary done after hacking a professional alarm system. It might exist but again 99% of the time, burglars will just totally ignore the alarm or get out when it is triggered.
The most technical equipment a typical burglar might have would be a multi-band jammer. How much? maybe 5% ? All other ones will just use a crowbar and/or a ladder.
Advanced wireless can also detect jamming.

My house is not wired. That was my choice. I don’t want to let wired alarm or wired automation when I will sell it, so I have to do with wireless system! I will update my initial message though to avoid confusion. :wink:

The trade off will be between:

• What your household insurance company will be happy with and not haggle for a payout should the worste case scenario arise.
  • How much you want to DIY
  • How much you want to spend
  • What functionality you want (camera, pir, open close, siren, armed response etc)

I have 2 systems (in 2 properties) with 1 I use Magellan (Paradox IP150) - Paradox Alarm MQTT Hassio addon and the other home made…

With 3rd party equipment there is always trade off (for example using the PIR to activate lights etc as well as act as an alarm…

My insurance company does not care about alarm system for the moment, but if chose a certified alarm system like the Visonic (NFA2P is the most common certification in France) I might able to get some discount.

Regarding the alarm system I don’t want any DIY, except maybe for the interconnexion with my local network, or directly with my Hass.io host.

Money is no issue… well it is in some way of course, but this spent was planned in the global new house budget. For the alarm system alone (without camera) I’ve planned about 2000€. Good outdoor PIR sensors are very expensive, and for this cost I will save about 600-900€ for 20 additonnal ZWave/Zigbee sensors.
I might even be able to find some second-hand parts for a good price.

POE IP Cameras will be added on a dedicated VLAN with a software NVR. They will not be part of the alarm system.

The Alarm System will essentially be :

• 4 Reliable PIR Outdoor sensors (dual-technology and dual-beam)
  • 8 Indoor PIR sensor : more reliable than the majority of standard automation PIR sensors
  • 8 Open/close sensors on most of the ground floor doors/windows
    ==> all these sensors will be used for HA automotion, I don’t want to duplicate sensors between alarm and automotion
  • and of course box, keypad, indoor and outdoor sirens, remote with alarm status feedback,…

Do you have any complaint about your Magellan Paradox alarm ? and what about its integration in HA using IP150 ? Stable ? Sensor status updated in HA without too much latency ?
Paradox (Magellan or Digiplex / EVO models) is on my short-list. I’m trying to figure out which brand/model would fit most are my criterias.

AFAIK the Paradox has been stable and robust, although I cannot comment on latency as that property of mine is 6000 miles away from where I live…

If you are happy to spend and don’t want to DIY too much (apart from the HA integration side) I would suggest, as a start to have a look at the Alarm components section: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/#alarm

Have a look through there and see which ones matches your requirements.

In my experience, the solid alarm systems are only just getting into the open API space… Also, if it is your property and not rented, I would seriously consider (as soneone else mentioend earlier) to have a look at the wired options as they will not need batteries, will not add to wireless noise, and will generally be more stable, less latency etc…

Okay, I agree, they CAN be reliable :slight_smile:

Just another point to keep in mind when going wireless, batteries!

True. :confused:
According to manufacturers, sensor batteries should last between 2years and 6years for normal use. We’ll see !
I would have to change the same number of batteries on Zwave/Zigbee/Wifi modules if I did not have an alarm system integrated in HA, so be it… :confused:

Yeah, I know, was just a friendly reminder :slight_smile:
Be careful what manufacturers say about battery life, Aeotec for example says that their multisensors last up to two years, but even in a room that is barely used, I never reached more than 1 year of battery life.

Ahah yeah I know, I already have about 25 wireless modules on batteries. :wink:

And I had some good surprise with a few of them, especially some Zwave and zigbee devices. Not all of them of course.

1 Like

Also just to add Texecom into the options

Has local API available if you’ll sign a commercial non disclosure. Also has cloud although I know you’re not interested in that.

All wireless devices act as repeaters to form a mesh

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve never heard about this manufacturer.
Will have a look at it ASAP.

Texecom Premier looks like a fine alarm system indeed! Not the cheapest but reliable.
Not common in France (but available on a few websites), much more popular in the UK.
Modules and sensors seem nice.

What about the integration in Home Assistant ? Do you get the status of every alarm sensors almost instantly ?
Is this integration stable ?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You could previously integrate Texecom to HA I believe via the ‘Crestron’ protocol and another ‘Simple’ (maybe SIA or the COM-IP protocol) and you’re right that the Crestron variant has more real time information. I might be confusing HA and HomeSeer re. availability of these integrations though.

However Texecom have now completed their own API / protocol which you can get access to via NDA if you’re a professional . Home users are no longer allowed within the NDA. Correspondingly Texecom have removed access via NDA to the previous protocols documentation. They are still implemented in the panel though.

There are a couple of ‘web available’ reverse engineered projects using the new Texecom Protocol which is very capable. I use one of these currently (standalone python) via MQTT and it works very well, so that’s one way into HA. However I am not aware of a direct integration to HA using this protocol.

I have written my own direct integration to another controller by participating in the NDA and it provides real time updates of zone triggers even when disarmed . The online MQTT version does too.

I have a professionally installed Honeywell Galaxy alarm system and intend to replace it with Texecom Premier Elite so I have bought a panel to play with but can’t give you much feedback yet on it’s nuances or RF dependability. As my Galaxy has mostly wired sensors I shall retain those and will just be using a few wireless motion detectors, lots of window contacts as previously I didn’t have any and a couple of keypads. My test system works well but it’s just time availability that’s problematic.

If you’re cost sensitive then panels and ‘systems in a box’ come up brand new on eBay UK quite frequently at good discounts and there are online re sellers that offer good prices and service. Firmware can be updated (over recent models) but you need a cable.

Here’s the link to the MQTT capable code that I’ve adapted from and uses the newer Texecom Connect Protocol.

I guess, if permission was given, this could offer the majority of the code needed to create a HA plugin…

I’ve taken some time to check again all official HomeAssistant components and also custom components having an active community.
So far the 2 best options seem to be : Visonic PowerMaster and Paradox Magellan.

I still need to read the whole long threads of these components before taking a decision.

Im running a Visonic pm10 currently and my automation’s are working flawlessly. 2 doors, 1 vibration, 1 smoke, 8 pirs

The newer pm360r panel has some improvements and a newer firmware as standard (these are normally custom written for the service provider so updates aren’t available) with this the newer 802 pir has temp and lux data sent to the panel which could be integrated.

Any questions about the panel and devices drop me a message.

2 Likes