"best" router for IoT - misleading wi-fi specs

When I hit 32 clients, the 33rd device will try to sneak in while I update a device on my network then the device being update won’t manage to make it back on the network. It becomes a game of who sneaks in first…

I managed to plug an extra router I had laying around as an AP and I can now get beyond the 32 devices limitations…

Are you sure about your 16.000 device claim? I doubt it can be achieved with custom firmware… We’re talking about active connection (connected devices) not only IP attribution on a network.

That’s obviously the software limit in openwrt - if your hardware runs into a bottleneck before (running out of RAM for example) you will never reach the maximum :chart_with_downwards_trend:

I have no idea what limits your device but I can tell you that even super budget (<$10) usb powered pocket routers with only 32MB of RAM and 4MB Flash (the things you shouldn’t buy anymore) can have easily 50+ devices on the wifi radio (tested that myself years ago…)

Looks like your new router has it’s hand break activated or the manufacture messed up bad with the firmware (they actually to often ship buggy *ware that’s I don’t even waste time with that and always directly flash openwrt :signal_strength:)

My main router is presently a Nighthawk R7200 and I just installed a cheap TL-WR841N as an access point for the main router. The cheap TL-WR841N with stock firmware has a maximum of 15 connected devices.

I have nothing against Openwrt FW, honestly I prefer custom firmware. I simply wanted to apply a quick solution before choosing a decent alternative to use as an AP.

Could you suggest a cheap router to use as an AP? That AP will not be use for any 5,0Ghz devices, I only want to connect 2.4Ghz IoT devices on that AP.

Pickup a used/refurbed TM-AC1900 and load DD-WRT or OpenWRT onto it. Danged reliable piece of hardware, I used two or three of them for many years before they finally succumbed to hardware rot.

Actually, they are 2 different predefined-size tables. The router’s DHCP table records what IP address it has issued to each device throughout the LAN it is controlling (though 16K sounds like a business grade device); whereas each Wireless Access Point keeps track of those devices which are directly connecting to it, over its wireless channel.

Back when 802.11B was the bees knees and all types of data was going through the wi-fi and RAM was expensive, 32 devices seemed a reasonable limit (or 16 for home-grade equipment). To have more devices simply add another WAP up the other end of the office/home.

But now every apartment and office has one or more WAPs (all trying to use the same 11 channels) - hence the rush back to 5GHz and lots of fancy tech to boost throughput. And IoT uses the old cheap 2.4GHz wifi modules. The market has changed, but manufacturers focus on selling new and better equipment.

I am using an old TL-WR743ND router as a secondary WAP. I don’t need or want most of the router functionality built into the default firmware, and had assumed that OpenWRT (or similar) may have a version trimmed down to WAP functionality - with the space previously reserved for other router data tables now available for keeping track of more Wi-Fi devices. No go! In fact old models are not supported because they don’t have enough memory for everything … fair enough, but no sign of a spin-off project or even a tutorial for using an old router as WAP only.

So much for using open source firmware to extend the useful life of old equipment :frowning:

If all use channel 1 to 11 why not go with channel 13 then? :laughing:

With newer openwrt version (v21, v22) indeed many “old” routers/ap were dropped due to space requirements for newer kernels. If your router has less than 8MB flash (which is the case with yours) you can not make use of newer openwrt versions.

Your TL-WR743ND with only 4MB of Flash (see the big fat warning on the site :wink:) is limited to OpenWRT 18 which is old (and even end-of-life) but still much newer than the last firmware shipped from TP-Link which looks like to be 10 years old (from 2013) if I looked right.

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr743nd

Also if you want to save/space strip down functions of your router the open wrt docs got you covered:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/saving_space

Not really, I only have (dirt) cheap used and old stuff in use. But why not convert (free :raised_hands:) one of your devices (both look like to support openwrt) to see if you can break free of the limits :fist:

I would suggest looking at MikroTik some of their newer hardware looks pretty darn palpable at $99

Hello everyone,

@FredTheFrog, I might go with your suggestion, I found a used one on eBay for 43.40$USD (shipping included). Dees this seems like a good price?

@sabot105mm, your suggestion is interesting but close to 200$CAD on Amazon.ca. and same on eBay.ca.
Capture d’écran, le 2023-06-07 à 12.12.51

I might go with Asus for this one.

Thank you all for your help!

Seems a little bit high. I would offer $35 USD and see if they accept. Free shipping may explain why they ask that price.

It’s an auction… I’ll keep looking for another one and remember your suggested price of 35$USD

If you are lucky and got revision 13 of the TL-WR841N you can install the latest and greatest openwrt (22.03.5 at this very moment). :star2:

I’m more then confident that this doesn’t include a hard limit of 15 connected devices like the stock fw (if it is not because of hardware/blob limitations of course) :put_litter_in_its_place:

That also looks capable of running the latest openwrt btw. :star_struck:

Maybe you wanna try to “fix” broken software before getting more hardware :wink:

1 Like

Because I do not live in USA where channel 13 is legal.

After several people suggesting to use old routers as WAPs i was hoping for a simple solution … but yeah, that’s a rabbit hole instead. If it were simple as it is obvious, I’m sure someone would have posted a firmware long ago.

I’ve learnt my lesson with open source - to only go down one rabbit hole at a time … and at the moment I’m still trying to get to grips with home automation.

Regarding the mysterious channel 13 (and 12) North America is kind of the only place in the world were channel 13 should be “avoided” (only allowed under low power conditions).

I’m not aware of any other place in the world that limits the use of the channels 12 or 13. The last channel 14 on the other hand is indeed limited to japan :jp: (legacy 11b only :put_litter_in_its_place:)

If you ask wikipedia about it:

Fourteen channels are designated in the 2.4 GHz range

So you can blast with full power on channel 13 if you want Don :wink:

That can be true, but as you found out your (almost) stoned age device is short on flash and ram :man_shrugging:

:joy: Indeed. Taking full control and ownership is nothing that comes for “free” (maybe monetary wise) but it is a tough path to take.

Regarding openwrt: Choose your device on the “level” of support. There are not only (old) ones which are not compatible with newer (and supported) openwrt versions but some brands also make it easier (or harder) to initial flash the openwrt firmware over the stock one :hammer:

It seems that I’m being lucky? I have v14 ? Is there a specific Openwrt FW for v14?

No, not lucky. The Revision 14 is actually a huge downgrade from rev 13. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd

While featuring the same Soc rev 14 only comes with half the ram and flash (4/32) which doesn’t work with newer openwrt versions because the kernel grown to big over the last years :muscle:

https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

Thanks for the update @orange-assistant, I think I’ll go with Fred’s suggestions:
TM-AC1900

Seems to be a cheap option to add an AP running OpenWRT

But aren’t you already owning openwrt capable hardware? This netgear thing :point_down:

:thinking:

Yes indeed, so you would advise I simply upgrade that router to OpenWRT and I might even not need an AP?

Exactly! What could get wrong (beside turning your $100 into a :brick:)? :joy:

Jokes aside… Definitely do/try it. Read all the do’s and don’ts about your specific device before flashing and get yourself ready to free that thing :rocket:

The most information you need might be actually down here (same same device but different name): :point_down:

Good ride and keep us posted :wave:

1 Like

Yup, if you can flash OpenWRT on the device you’ve already got, DEFINITELY do that first. Save your money, unless it’s a necessity. THEN consider the inexpensive used hardware market.