Best smart blinds and curtains

As picky as my wife is, I know for certain she would not approve of that. At our old rental house I added some racetrack conduit like that to cover some cable tv wires, and she thought it was worse than just seeing painted cables… go figure.

Well, if you stick them next to the window, it is really unnoticeable. If your wifi doesn’t accept that, I’d rather do something about that than finding a different way to manage your cables :wink: .

ROTFLOL, she can’t see that post! :wink:

1 Like

hey - first post here - have you made this? Was it successful?

sorry for the late response, but I haven’t made it, i know it works but I need to find out which stepper motor to buy first. Since my curtains are heavy, my motor has to be strong.

Hi all,
I am finally getting around to posting on github a project I did way more than a year ago and thought this thread would be a good place to mention it. I took Tasmota code (somewhat old by now) and modified it to control a servo motor for tilt blinds and in particular to move the blinds in a slow motion manner. I acquired the hardware parts, including the 3D printed parts from MK Smarthouse.

Here is the github for the software for anyone interested:

@keithh666 I have just seen your messages here and your design for blind motor on Thingiverse and I will give this a try. I have ordered the 12V version of the stepper motor and I can print the pieces. Could you advise what filament you used for the prints please. I have PLA and PETG in stock and some white ABS. I don’t think PLA will work due to its properties but PETG probably will. The blind is a 5 metre wide roman blind and is quite heavy (it breaks the manual chain frequently) so I intend to use two motors, one at each end arranged for counter rotation on the single shaft. I have plenty of ESP32 dev kits but also sufficient NodeMCU’s on hand. Pending delivery of the 12V motors, I will print a test piece and experiment with the 5V versions I have in stock. Although I use the Arduino IDE, I have not built a toolchain for compiling Tasmota sources yet and I’m wondering how much of a learning curve that will be! I note the comments about Arduino libraries elsewhere. Thanks again.

Hi @apemberton
I gave up on mine as mine is too heavy for the 5v steppers I have and they are on all the time, I think you will struggle to get it working even with 2 steppers and unless you can figure out a ratchet system the steppers will have to remain on all the time, they will get very hot and may deform the filament, I certainly wouldn’t recommend PLA.