Best software DVR for RPi?

Hi. Quick question before I get too far into this: which is the best software IP Cam DVR to run on the RPi4 with HA? iSpy Agent DVR? other? Thanks in advance!

I just went through all of this, after testing like 5 different packages, and came across Shinobi ( https://shinobi.video/ ) took a tiny bit to get used to, but is amazing, lightweight, and works through API with HA! :slight_smile:

Looks awesome. Thanks Shep. I notice he compares his package to ZoneMinder. I weighed ZM vs iSpy for quite a while, and chose iSpy. I want to call DeepStack whenever needed. I’ll try it today.

Looks like Frenck gave up on Shinobi in 2018:

He recommends MotionEye and there is a community Add-on.
Gonna try that.

Have you tried the Frigate add-on?!
Wonderful add-on with object detection…

1 Like

There is a lot to learn here. My naivete is broad and deep. It seems that MotionEye, Shinobi, and Zoneminder are wrappers for a large, 10 year old project MOTION which is a standard package for most distros. Why don’t they tell you that right up front? So my first task is to master MOTION. There are a bizillion configuration variables and settings, and debug and diagnostic features, and MOTION will run all by itself from the command line. It relies a lot on FFMPEG. Looks like my CCTV/NVR journey has only just begun…

Actually, ccrisan does tell us up front that motion daemon is the back end :roll_eyes:.