Best Way for Laundry Reminder

With all the fancy new automation stuff, I’m moving my automations back to native automations, vs Node-Red that I’ve been using.

I’m struggling with getting one automation converted, which is my laundry notifications. I had it setup so that when the washer “stops”, which is a state change, it waited until the dryer changed to a “run” state after that. If that didn’t happen in 2 hours, it sent a reminder. Then every 2 hours until the dryer was in the “run” state, which stopped the reminders.

I can’t seem to figure out how to do that with the automation editor. Any ideas? I’ve played around with “wait until”, but can’t quite figure out the delay piece. Thanks!

So you using the washer as the trigger for this automation, it runs and the stop or wait part is the trigger. Wait for 2 hours and condition is if the dryer isn’t in run state then notify.

Would the washer reset this? Every run for the washer could reset this automation. That would make some sense as each wash needs to dry.

I was going to suggest the washer blueprint as it will notify on the completion of the washing machine cycle with a delay. That could be set to 2hrs. I guess the condition could be put if dryer has not been used ( however you get that state )

Dont know if the best way

I use a timer

- id: 49963f01-e6dc-4411-9ab2-88478b02915c
  alias: washing time finish
  trigger:
  - platform: event
    event_type: timer.finished
    event_data:
      entity_id: timer.hangout
  action:
    - service: notify.alexa_media
      data_template:
        data:
          type: announce
        target:
          - media_player.bedroom
          - media_player.lounge
          - media_player.office
          - media_player.garage
        message: 'Hay I told you to hang out the washing. GO AND DO IT'
    - service: timer.start
      target:

then
I have if i open the washing machine door it cancel the timer

- id: '1618352058958'
  alias: Washing Door Opened cancel the timer
  description: Washing door opened so cancel the timer
  trigger:
  - type: opened
    platform: device
    device_id: b2845923692155fad851455dbb52a669
    entity_id: binary_sensor.washing_door
    domain: binary_sensor
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: timer.cancel
    target:
1 Like

Yeah, the washer is connected via Samsung SmartThings, and I can pull “status” from it. Same with the dryer.

So I had “washer changes from run to stop” as the trigger, then monitor the dryer status for 2 hours, and if it starts - no notification. If it doesn’t start, send notification, and restart the timer.

I think I could do a “repeat until dryer = run” maybe? Then the only potential catch would be if the dryer was already running when the washer ends with the previous load or something.

I’ll check out the blueprint! Thanks!

Hmm, not a bad idea with the door sensor! Mine doesn’t report that, but maybe I could grab a zwave sensor or something worst case. Thanks!

that what i did just put a zigbee door switch there work great

1 Like

Hmm, maybe I can get even simpler… Set an input_boolean when the washer is done, that “if on, sends reminder ever 2 hours” through an alert. Then when the dryer starts AFTER that, turn the boolean off.

I think you could set the condition state from dryer as off to on, if it was already on during that period of the washer stopping, the automation would fire still.

Oh and the blueprint I used for the washing machine is Notify or do something when an appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine finishes