Best way to integrate GoodWe inverter?

The inverter came with a wifi module, and there was no option to turn the access point off. Even after connecting to my home network, the access point was still broadcasting and showing the wifi password in plain text after logging in. Had it working with the integration in no time. I asked for a LAN module because of the access point thing and my wifi is pretty much full with all the esp’s, phones, tablets and sonos/google speakers etc… Setting it up was simple enough, but connection with the integration is very bad. I am missing a lot of data points. So I called the support line in Utrecht (in English) and got no useful answer, according to them SEMS portal was all good, therefore there is no problem. Got the ticket escalated and got a Dutch email. There was some back and forth but still no help. Maybe I just got in touch with the wrong people. It happens… Made a new ticket on the English support website, and ordered a new wifi module to test with…I am not giving up yet! thanks for the reply’s.

1 Like

Wow. I never realized this fundamental security flaw. You are right. The inverter has an open access point and my home wifi password can just be picked up by anyone coming close enough to the house using the pvmaster app. Definitely need to look into that.

Haven’t reached out to GoodWe yet for an update.

I have a GoodWe GW2500-XS
I’m a bit confused. The Access point from my inverter has an SSID of Solar-Wifi********
I can set its password, so I don’t see how other people could access it. Or is there a separate public access point I’m missing?

It also does not show the password of the wifi it uses for the “STA” mode. Maybe when you run though the setup wizard (again), but I didn’t feel like doing that.

The only thing I couldn’t find is how to change the password of the inverter portal/website login (10.10.100.253).

Under management it says version is V1.1.1.2
Is it there, by pressing the choose file button where I need to update the firmware? If I would reach out for it at GoodWe.?

Anyone has the exact email address and an example email successfully used to request this firmware?

Thanks!

Did you get any answer? I have the exact same problem, I had wifi that was working with HA, changed to LAN and now the integration doesn’t work very well.
I’ve tried the support but didn’t get anywhere with them.

Is your SEMS portal working? Mine isn’t, it will work if I stop the HA integration, it’s like the hardware can’t operate with both Push and Pulling data.

I gave up with the LAN way of doing things, and went back to the Wi-Fi stick. Changed the password on it, and hopefully it is enough to keep unwanted entities out of the network. I have had one more firmware update on the inverter, but havent tried the LAN stick after that. The integration is working flawlessly at the moment, and I am a bit reluctant to mess with it. During all this the SEMS portal was working as far as I know, which was one of the reasons Goodwe support did not seem very supportive. All they are concerned with is whether or not data is going into SEMS. When that works, they are done.

ok, thanks for answering.
I will try my wifi once more and see if it works. If it doesn’t I will play stupid and go with the sems-portal not working card.

I use mine MS inverter with local and sems integrations. Keep sems as legacy but don’t really use it. I had too old ARM firmware and when requested Goodwe support team upgraded it remotely. Since upgrade it works. It does not matter which version is minimum, most recent will work for sure. Here are attributes from sems showing versions:

I really like the GoodWe integration. Currently I’ve managed to connect to my inverter (GW10K-ET) and, beside creating a nice dashboard, started to control DOD with automations. My next thing to figure out is how to charge based on spot prices. I have a sensor
that gives me spot prices (nordpool) but my intitial thought to control charging by changing working mode didn’t work as planned. In the PV-master app (Goodwe) I created a schedule to charge 00:00-23:59 but when working mode is changed from general to economical by home assistant the charging schedule didn’t activate. Anybody know how to get home assistant to both change working mode and to activate the charging schedule?

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’m quite new to HA.
I have solar system with Goodwe ET inverter and yesterday succesfully add it to HA and get 122 entities.
I setup energy distribution board where I use entitie “sensor.today_s_pv_generation” as solar production in kWh. But graphical view looks like it’s not refreshing on seconds or minute basis, only once per hour maybe. If I check mentioned entitie actual I have correct energy produced from inverter changing in real time and also all other values are live and corespond to sems portal.

So I miss something there maybe? From my understanding refresh rate is 10s and all goodwe entities actually refresh only energy board has issue.

Thank you for any replay.

Regards,
Johnny

Okay, as I do my homework now in few minutes, I realize this is energy over time so HA Energy feature refresh this once per hour. So from my point of view is a little bit strange or confused to show nice little dots flow in some direction depending on even 60min old data.

I installed the standard integration yesterday for usage with my GW8k-DT (three phase).

I noticed that I get an inconsistent reading from the integration’s L1_power, L2_power, L3_power, which I sum into a total current power sensor template.

When I look at the inverter’s display for example, I saw “PAC = 18W”, even though the L1-3 Power were each approximately 115W.

What’s going wrong here? I assume the L1-3 sensors are supposed to indicate AC power on each of the 3 phases right?

Hi, could anyone advise if it possible, with HA automations, to start force charge of batteries connected to GW ET or BT series inverter? Are there “push” commands in API or more likely only “read”? Looking for “switch” type entity for charge type action?
Their SEMS and mobile app allow to make calendar for charging. My interest is to charge and discharge according to electricity market price, which does not follow any meaningful calendar daily-hourly structure.
Thanks in advance!

I’m also looking into getting this to work. My best solution is to set inverter to economical mode and have it charge between 02-04 in the morning, mon-fri. Price is almost always lower in that interval than midday. I do this October to march/April. In addition I control the discharge depth with automations so that battery doesn’t discharge during low price hours. Currently I set the automations manually for specific hours but I’m looking to have the NordPool entity to control the automation.

What I found when I had HA change the working mode is that the charging intervals didn’t activate after changing working mode to economical so even though it was in economical it didn’t start charging.

Been in contact with GoodWe support but they didn’t offer support for 3rd party solutions so I don’t think there’s any easy way to get this working. I’m not clever enough to figure out how to get access to the charge control.

Hey all, so I’ve sent an email to AU goodwe in the hopes they can’t update what I am assuming is my ARM firmware. As I cannot seem to connect to the local information. However when using sems I can see data. But doesn’t show me what I’m after.!
It mentions on the inverter that ver is 1.01.13 but that’s not the ARM is it?

Did you get anywhere with this? I’ve got the GW5000D-NS and even though I can see the inverter on my wifi network I can’t seem to access it via HA integration…I have emailed Goodwe Aus hoping they can check/upgrade firmware if this is the issue but wondered if anyone else had had experience with same/similiar model
TIA

FYI - I’m in Aus and also have a GW5000D-NS. Installed late 2020, had old firmware.

I submitted a ticket to goodwe first in mid 2021 which was ignored… then again around a month ago:

Hi,

I cannot connect to inverter via PvMaster due to ARM firmware version too old. Could you please assist in updating it?

Model: GW5000D-NS

Serial: [serial]

Thanks

Around half an hour later I used the python scanner script again and got a delicious surprise when suddenly it found my inverter - seems they did trigger a remote update for me. They did not update my support ticket (it’s still open) but someone did action it - so even if they don’t reply, still check the inverter again.

After ~2 years of using the cloud polling via SEMS portal, with ~1 minute update rate, now have it running locally with 10 second update frequency, via wifi :slight_smile:

Maybe they are more inclined to action firmware updates now for AU because of this: (or maybe just coincidence)

I had a GoodWe GW5000D-NS installed last week and have been going down the path that most in here appear to have gone.

Like some of you, I tried to get hold of the mythical unicorn LAN module… but cannot find it anywhere. Most GoodWe dealers in Australia have ignored my requests or told me they dont have it. So I have persisted with the WiFi module.

I have the inverter talking to SEMS and displaying data, but I really want it to be available to HA. Scanned the ports on the WiFi module and appears the only one available is port 80 which goes straight to the onboard config in the WiFi module. Have heard about the ARM firmware? No idea what that is or how it can be obtained?

Interested to know who you contacted to have the firmware updated?

I’ve seen this site mentioned on a few forums: https://support.goodwe.com/portal/en/home

Thanks, Mark

Update… So I followed the instructions in the PDF file shared by @paul09 and unfortunately didn’t get far. I have a feeling if you were an installer you might have the firmware versions in your possession, because the SolarGo app does not come with firmware files that I can see.

Here’s the screen showing the firmware page…

I then clicked on the icon in the far right corner… and got to a page I was expecting to show me firmware files I could load. But it was empty… see below.

There doesn’t appear to be an option in the SolarGo app to download the firmware files? Unless I am missing something?

You don’t update it yourself, I posted that doc mainly because it’s interesting (at least i thought it was - also has a firmware version table for what’s app compatible and what needs remote update), sorry if it just caused confusion.
Post a goodwe support ticket asking for update and they push the update remotely.

Some time after i requested update, I scanned inverter test again and it was then working. :slight_smile:

I also set the timeout to 5, unsure if that mattered or not.

Ultimately my goal is to gain direct access to my new GoodWe inverter locally, but despite trying several times to request GoodWe support to upgrade the ARM firmware it doesn’t appear to have happened. I am also not sure how I work out if the ARM firmware has been upgraded? I assume there would be a change in details on the inverter?

In the meantime I managed to gain access to my inverter data in a round about sort of way, via a Domoticz plugin that queries the GoodWe SEMS website via an API. The data is coming to Domoticz, so now I have the dilemma of interfacing between Domoticz and Home Assistant.

My old inverter required a similar setup, with Domoticz capturing the data from my old inverter directly, and supplying the data to HA via MQTT. So I figure I should be able to do something similar?

Only issue… my old inverter provided the data in Watts and it appears the new inverter provides KwH. Here’s the code I used for my old inverter…

# kWh Solar from Domoticz

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Solar Inverter"
  state_topic: "domoticz/out/8"
  device_class: power
  unit_of_measurement: 'W'
  value_template: "{{ value_json.svalue1 | int }}"

The code above basically converted the Watts (from my old inverter) into Kilowatt Hours. So I figure because my new inverter provides kWh (see item 8 in the picture above) I should be able to somehow tell HA that the data coming in is measured in Killowatt Hours? The data from my previous inverter was fed into the Energy Dashboard, so I’d like to do the same. I figure it should probably just be a tweak of the code above?

Would really appreciate some advice, I just need a bit of guidance and I should be fine.

Thanks, Mark