Best way to transition scenes in new version

Hi,

Help! My whole home assistant set up is in scenes and scene fades. I hadnt clocked that transition was being discontinued for scenes and as such I’m now without a lot of my functionality (I run a fairly complex f.lux type setup thats of my own custom design using node-red and LOTS of scenes).

At the moment every scene in my house comes in two flavours. Scene A, and Scene A with a 30 min fade (same end point, one version for switches (instant on) and one to fade over the day. So… whats the most efficent way to replace this. Can I use a script to fade between scene A and scene B? or does the end state for the lights need to be defined in the scripts? I’m at a bit of a loss - I have over 100 fading scenes in my setup and really dont want to write 100 scripts!

Any and all help is REALLY appeciated.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Scripts. That’s all but I need 10 chars.

1 Like

What a silly answer! Have you read the Post?

What should scenes be worth for, if you only can turn on and off things? Therefore you do not need any kind of scenes! I’ll stick with my old scenes because I’m not fan of scripting.

Have you? The guy was specifically asking about transition. The only way to set transition is through a script.

1 Like

Hey im struggling with this, im trying to fire a scene with node red but with a transition, i know i need to use scripts to do this, but im not sure how to do it within nodered
this image is my current call service block

I’m pretty new, so I could be completely wrong, but the way I understand it scripts are basically replacing scenes. Scenes are becoming more of a “set from the UI” option, and more advanced scenes should be converted to scripts.

The following are a couple scripts using transitions that used to be scenes.

'1586328168336':
  alias: colorloop_start
  sequence:
  - data:
      brightness: 255
      change: 35
      period: 1
      spread: 30
      transition: 1
    entity_id: light.livingroom_lamp_1
    service: lifx.effect_colorloop
  - data:
      brightness: 254
      effect: colorloop
      transition: 0.5
    entity_id: light.livingroom_lamp_2
    service: light.turn_on
'1586328526240':
  alias: colorloop stop
  sequence:
  - data: {}
    service: lifx.effect_stop
  - data:
      effect: stop
  - data:
      brightness: 55
      color_temp: 312
      transition: 2
  - data:
      brightness: 55
      color_temp: 312
      transition: 2

Transition support was added back to Scenes in the upcoming 0.109 release (out this Wednesday). PR: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/34434

Scripts will still be able to do more things though, like flash: for example.

2 Likes

Thats awesome, ill hold out for the update :slight_smile:

1 Like