Best way to troubleshoot ZHA losing all devices?

Because if you have interference is affecting the Zigbee Coordinator then it will affect all your Zigbee devices, so if the reception to Zigbee Coordinator gets interfered with then you will see such symptoms, which is why one of the main advice is to connect your Zigbee Coordinator to a long USB extension cable to a USB 2.0 port or USB 2.0 hub (and do not use USB 3.0) as well as move it away from all possible sources of interference.

Hence why it is so important to understand that Zigbee not only is extremly sensitive to EMI/RMI/EMF interference but the signals are also weak and have very poor radio propagation (i.e. bad signal penetration of building materials that are in walls), plus the fact that the communcation protocol uses short messages so if those are not recieved then it will only try resending it so many times before giving up.

Maybe I need to clearify that I personally recommend at least three DEDICATED Zigbee Router devices. All dedicated Zigbee Router devices work MUCH better as router devices than non-dedicated. If you are using dedicated Zigbee Router devices then you do not need as many, which is great when you are just getting started, before you build out your Zigbee network by adding loads of mains-powered Zigbee devices that acts as Zigbee routers.

If you are not using dedicated Zigbee Router devices then you should have MANY more than three! Recommend that should then at the very least have one Zigbee Router device close to each and every battery-powered device, however preferably add two Zigbee Router devices close to each and every battery-powered device for redundancy, so that way all battery-powered devices do not need to communicate directly to the Zigbee Coordinator but can always go through a Zigbee Router device that is close to them.

Again, Zigbee relies heavily on mesh networking to extend range/coverage and your battery-powered devices do not extend the Zigbee network mesh at all, they can only make use of the Zigbee network mesh there are Zigbee Router devices that are joined and a part of that same Zigbee network mesh.

So the general best practise is to have more mains-powered product acting as Zigbee Routers devices if you do have not added a few dedicated “known good” or “known great” Zigbee Router devices. However if you have added at least a few dedicated “known good” or “known great” Zigbee Router devices then you do not need as many non-dedicated Zigbee Router devices.

Also be aware that all products that act as Zigbee Router devices are not created equally. Some are bad, some are OK, while others are good or even great.

Another common symptom of not having a mains-powered Zigbee Router device close to each battery-powered device is that it will drain the battery much quicker because they have to resend messages if reception if poor. This can be the difference of having your batteries discharge in a couple of months instead of in a couple of years.

That is actually not all you need to do. The firmwware that ships with SkyConnect is a “Multi-PAN RCP” (multiprotocol) firmware image and not the EmberZNet NCP firmware that you want to have when only using Zigbee. So you have to both disable the multiprotocol addon AND then also need to manually flash the Silicon Labs EmberZNet NCP firmware image, see:

and

Specifically one of these under the EmberZNet directory there:

Then use either the official SL Web Tools flasher (or some other compatible programmer application):

More info what is the here:

Summery of the three different firmware variants available for Silicon Labs based adapters;

• EmberZNet NCP = Zigbee NCP (Network Co-Processor) is used as a dedicated Zigbee Coordinator for Zigbee-only environments, for direct use with Zigbee2MQTT, Home Assistant’s ZHA integration, other Zigpy based Zigbee Gateway implementations, or other Zigbee gateways/frameworks that support the EZSP (EmberZNet Serial Protocol) interface.
  • OpenThread RCP firmware (experimental) = This Thread RCP (Radio Co-Processor) is used directly as a dedicated Thread Border Router in Thread-only environments, used for OpenThread Border Router add-on or wpantund.
  • RCP Multi-PAN (no longer recommended) = Multiprotocol firmware for concurrent communication over Zigbee and Thread via Home Assistant SiliconLabs Multiprotocol add-on.

Again, be aware that the RCP MultiPAN in multiprotocol mode is no longer recommended because running multi-protocol with multiple active networks on a single radio adapter has proven to not be stable when using Zigbee and Thread network protocols simultaneously on the same radio adapter, it also increases the complexity of software component dependencies needed, so if already using RCP Multi-PAN then it is highly recommended that you plan to migrate to separate dedicated radio adapters instead, (using Zigbee NCP and Thread RCP firmware respectively), even if using RCP MultiPAN on a single radio adapter dongle has been working fine for you so far.

Further External reference explaining these different co-processor designs at a high level:

1 Like

In my case, my 2 routers are doing nothing else, which is what I think you mean by “dedicated”. Or did you mean something else, like some specific flavor of firmware?

Still, it’s counter to my intuition that it seems to be so easy to overwhelm non-dedicated router nodes. (I understand completely about wanting more routers due to distance or path redundancy factors.) But I certainly won’t argue against the voice of experience.

Interesting. One of the wrong paths I mentioned was just flashing the NCP firmware. Although the flashing step worked, HA could not initialize the SkyConnect. After I discovered that GUI procedure, I did that. After my command line flashing, multi-protocol was marked disabled in GUI, so I enabled it and then disabled it. After that, HA could initialize the SkyConnect and all my previous pairings were still good.

I’ve just done the additional command line flashing step that you described. Things still look good at present.

I hope some of your advice makes its way into the upstream documentation. Searching forum postings for the right way to do things is obviously not ideal. Thanks again for your efforts.

It now looks a lot more like what people expect:

"energy_scan": {
      "11": 84.164247274957,
      "12": 49.512515447068886,
      "13": 70.89933442360993,
      "14": 87.33047519856483,
      "15": 98.21983128611214,
      "16": 99.06269548719737,
      "17": 99.56814169794553,
      "18": 99.44062726818147,
      "19": 98.21983128611214,
      "20": 84.164247274957,
      "21": 62.257682586134884,
      "22": 73.50699819621309,
      "23": 75.96022321405563,
      "24": 12.244260188723507,
      "25": 49.512515447068886,
      "26": 98.62178092672917
    },
1 Like

Now THAT’S a proper energy scan!

This is a free and open-source project which means that anyone in the community can submit contributions of changes to the documentation, including yourself.

No you have products that are primarly designed to do something else (like a light or smart plug being their main function) but as a bonus they they also non-dedicated Zigbee Router. What i mean by dedicated Zigbee Router device is something that is desiged to only be a repeater/extender and nothing else. Yes those dedicated Zigbee Router devices have not only optimised firmware but are also using a better radio SoC chip as well as having better antennas.

No offence but it feels like you are spending more effort trying to misunderstand on purpose in the hope that you do not have to make any changes yourself. Sorry but I do not have time or effort to go down that rabbithole, so do what you like, choose to follow our advice or not, but personally i will stop reaponding to this thread now.

That’s not the case at all. I’m sorry if anything I’ve said has seemed that way. In any case, your time is your own, and I appreciate the effort you have taken already.

I am trying to make sure I don’t unnecessarily buy unnecessary equipment for my relatively simple Zigbee network. So I’m trying to get an understanding of various things. It might turn out that using Zigbee is not a good idea for my home. I don’t know yet.

It’s been about a week with no problems so far. I am cautiously optimistic. :slight_smile: