Best Z-Wave dongle for Raspberry Pi 4

poudness, you didn’t reply to me so I got no notification.
I am now assuming you were asking me ? if not please ignore this.

Yes, I have been using the Everspring stick (with Pi4) since my post with multiple pairings and “No Issues !” :smiley:

1 Like

I used an unpowered USB2 hub, I think it’s an issue with USB3 port electrical specs, so as long as it’s USB 2, I bet you’d be fine (but powered is certainly not needed).

Yeah I know Merlin firmware for asus routers has an option to downgrade usb3 ports to us b2 to reduce wifi interference. So I think usb must have faster switching that gets into microwave territory, rather than it being a hardware thing.

No, it a documented fault with the Aeotec stick that it does not follow the USB 3 power specifications.
(there are links on the forum or just google it)
You could also say it’s the RPi Foundation ‘for following the specs’ but that would be silly

Makes sense, since it is zwave and that asus thing had to do with 2.4 issues with usb3. That said, it could be relevant talking about zigbee hubs.

So I bought a USB 2.0 hub, and it worked :slight_smile:

Now for next question: after setting it up, and if I try to to say lock, I get following error in the OZW_Log.txt

Error, Node003, ERROR: Dropping command, expected response not received after 1 attempt(s)

Sorry, what are you saying this to ?

Sorry I wasn’t making myself clear.

I have been struggling getting my AEON Labs ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 to work for HA on my new Rasberry Pie 4. But as some people told, it works when connecting the stick to a USB 2.0 hub instead of directly into the Pie 4 USB port.

But after getting the Lock installed and I can see it under the Z-wave Node Management, I don’t know what to do to get it work.

I assume I need to prepare it somehow, but I don’t know how?

Getting a bit off-topic, but you need to add it as a secure node. I think this is otherwise best left to a different topic.

@Baldissera, I agree with @jkajadfpjuq2 you really need to start a new topic with a heading describing your issue AND the lock you are dealing with. Then the best qualified people with knowledge of your particular Lock can help you.

off course, sorry for the OT

Use an unpowered usb 2.0 hub.

I get more and more problems with my stick.

Connect with a non powered hub to RPI4… after reboot stick is gone…
Unplug from hub and put back in again… not working
Try it 30 times and after 31 time heeee… its back again… now I can do a docker reboot homeassistant
to load everything correct again…

I get crazy about this BAD BAD stick

I would recommend going with the most generic stick possible. They are directly upgradable from Silabs firmware and therefore are much easier to maintain and replace. Aeotec spend too much of their time customizing their z-wave and add nearly no value, instead they are preventing you from upgrading it down the road for lack of maintenance and are charging you more money for it. My gen5 z-stick has been in its box and I never use it. Maybe I should sell it. Go with a homeseer stick which is the same as the Everspring, Silabs etc… Second choice would be the razberry/uzb which are reasonably well maintained.

1 Like

All can connect directly on RPi4 ? Because then I will trow away my Aeotec as well…

Yes they all do.

I also highly recommend to be very careful with USB hubs. A lot of them (cheap ones especially) are unshielded and emit RF noise which… reduce the range of the stick… and add inefficiency and more hops to your zwave network. I have seen significant improvement on my setup by inserting the usb stick into a USB extension cable and keeping it away from whatever controller you use (rPi or in my case a vera)

1 Like

Thanks for the info. If the Aeotec stick is working then its fast and very stable… Sensors are so fast. Wall switches as well… But when I need a reboot I gonna cry already before I did a reboot now…

Thank you for the info. What stick is your first choice?

I am going to be really on the edge here with a lot of resellers but…:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/silicon-labs/ACC-UZB3-U-STA/703-1128-ND/6111632

This is actually what they are all buying from silabs and then relabelling/rebranding. Depending on what region you are in, you may need a different frequency.

This is the european version:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/silicon-labs/ACC-UZB3-E-STA/703-1127-ND/6111631

1 Like

Thanks… Yes here in Netherlands we use 868.42 MHz :slight_smile:

I got you covered… after editing my previous post.

1 Like