Binary_sensor.updater not accurate?

I’m seeing 0.118 available, but the binary_sensor.updater isn’t up to date. This is what I see:

HA is showing me this:

Is this just because the scanning for that sensor is done at some different interval? I find this to be weird if the system itself already knows there’s an update to be able to inform me in the supervisor area.

I think binary_sensor.updater checks for updates infrequently (once/twice a day?) and on startup.

If you search this forum for “binary_sensor.updater” you’ll find many other posts asking the same question about its infrequent refresh interval: Search results for 'binary_sensor.updater' - Home Assistant Community

It was also reported during the recent Month of What The Heck:

Thanks. I figured it was due to the update interval. But what’s weird, is that if the system knows there’s an update enough to show me in the supervisor area, you’d think the sensor would also just be updated too.

I believe they operate independently (and possibly use two different reference sources).

1 Like

Never miss an update with sidebar notifications!

- alias: Notification - supervisor
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.updater
    to: 'on'
  - platform: homeassistant
    event: start
  condition:
  - condition: state
    state:  'on'
  action:
  - service: persistent_notification.create
    data_template:
        Home Assistant {{ state_attr('binary_sensor.updater', 'newest_version') }} is available. {{ '\n' -}} {{ '\n' -}} [Supervisor](/hassio)
      title: Supervisor
      notification_id: "supervisor"
  - service: notify.mobile_app_xxxxxx
    data_template:
      message: "Home Assistant {{ state_attr('binary_sensor.updater', 'newest_version') }} is available."

- alias: Notification - supervisor dismiss
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    to: 'off'
  action:
  - service: persistent_notification.dismiss
    data:
      notification_id: "supervisor"
1 Like

That only works if the binary_sensor.updater is accurate :slight_smile: