Blue Connect pool measurements

As I think I’ve hinted to before, if you manage to do something with the bluetooth contact, and it’s something I can incorporate, I could implement it into B2M.

Also. If you reverse the Android app, you’ll find a number of classes related to the Bluetooth communication. It could help with the protocol and format of data.

Mike.

Good one - as time permits i will have a go at that and let you know

Craig

Just letting you know - i have received the unit now and it is working with both Sigfox and BT.

I have also purchased the Wireless extender (basically a BT to WIFI gateway)

WIll try and set all of this up in the next couple of days and then see if i can find anything by scanning the for the BT commes between the unit and the WIFI extender

Craig

I set up my blue connect extender too, really happy with it. The app now gets at least 7 or so readings a day via wifi which is more than enough (compared to once a few days)

Hello, could you share your settings (configuration and automation) if you are using IFTTT with your Blue Connect ?
On my side, IFTTT is working fine but I think that I have a problem with automation.

Franck.

Not sure what IFTTT can do for it. Ive only used the standard containers they made like logging daily values into a Google sheets spreadsheet

Thank you LordMike, MQTT was by far the easiest way to do it. Well for me at least :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much LordMike, With Mqtt you have been a great help to me,

@craigcurtin and @dopacak - can i please ask which version of the Blue Connect you purchased, ie Blue Connect or Blue Connect Plus? I am trying to find some info on what the difference is, but cannot seem to locate it anywhere.

Also, doe the extender integrate straight into HA?

Thanks

Michael (also in AU)

@Mikkaat I got the blue connect plus. On the blue riiot website there shows the difference. From memory it’s the amount of readings it shows and also the assistant part. I don’t think there’s much price difference between them

1 Like

I got the Plus – the only difference is that the Plus also has the clamp for you to mount it to your pipework rather than have it floating in the pool

I have the WIFI extender but have not implemented it yet as the Sigfox network seems to work well where I am.

If I was you I would save the $80 for the WIFI extender and try it without – if it does not work then you can order the extender.

All the extender is doing is talking BLE to the Unit and then sending the stuff to the cloud i.e. it removes the need for Sigfox - i do not believe it does anything smart like turn off Sigfox to extend battery life so at the moment i am content not to implement mine.

Mine appears to perform about 14-18 readings a day (i think there is a maximum of 20 on the sigfox network per device per day)

Craig

1 Like

thank you for the prompt response and info. Are you using LordMikes MQTT integration?

Thanks for the prompt response and info… I will take your advice and skip the extender for now to test. Are you using the integration from LordMike?

Its on my list to grab and try

I have seen what he is doing in terms of Rest queries and will probably translate that into Node-Red as i use that for my primary engine and then pump stuff out elsewhere for display etc.

Craig

@craigcurtin and @dopacak - can I ask both of you, or anyone else in Australia, where you purchased your unit?

Thanks

I got extender from a local pool shop that’s a zodiac dealer. Paid too much, price changed after I got a quote. I think my pool warehouse online is best at about $89 delivered. I paid $105

The blue connect plus came with my pool

1 Like

Yep obviously as you would probably know they are supplied by Astral Pools in Australia, the reseller i got mine from was Enviroswim in QLD (Sunshine coast i believe)

They did me a package deal on the Enviroswim system, Acid Dosing pump and the BlueRiiot - all up $4600

Craig

Thanks both.

I already have an Equilibrium EQ25, so am auto dosing (chlorine) orp and acid. just need to be able to see all the details in HA…

Most stores in Sydney have them for about $600 for the plus.

Have to love the ones that think they are giving you a great deal “but only if you order it in the next 3 hours” for $960. told him i could get it cheaper somewhere else, so he said he would price match it if i told him the price and where. I told him where (and also to Google the price), to which he said he would match it, so i told him i wont be shopping from your store again, since you were willing to gouge me an addition $300 without hesitation.

1 Like

Hi all,

I thought i would be smart and wait til i found a good price on a BlueConnect before purchasing.

I found (what i thought was an exceptional price on Facebook Marketplace. I ended up purchasing a BlueConnect Plus for $175. I brought it home, downloaded the app, connected the device to my account by scanning the QR code, and obtained reading of my pool within 10 mins. I can see the ‘Last Transmissions’ for Sigfox is updating, BUT (here is where i am hoping some people can help) for some reason, the Bluetooth ‘Last Transmissions’ is not updating from 29/10/2020 12:55.

While i was connecting the unit to my account, it did say it was already connected to another account, but it allowed me to disconnect it from the other account, and connect it to mine.

In my investigations, I opened up the top of the unit to find that the battery was missing. My confusion is, how is it transmitting to Sigfox if it has not battery? or are there multiple batteries?

@Mikkaat it cant be transmitting without a battery. I changed my battery last week, couldnt find it locally and didnt want to wait weeks for a new original one to arrive so went to local generic battery shop and purchased a 3.7v 2600mah battery which is same voltage as old one, but larger capacity (same form factor, it was a 18650). Just had to attach the wires to terminals so could use the original connector to blueconnect). Was about $10AUD, original is $28AUD+postage

I would say the data is not coming from your blueconnect, possibly another one linked to that account via sigfox.