Blue Iris Integration Tutorial

I have integraded Blue Iris into Home Assistant. I have the schedule on BI gobal settings turned off. Yet as HA changed a BI profile it will only hold for about 5-10 minutes. Any idea how to stop this? It’s maddening!

Thanks

Check Settings->Profiles and set the Temp time to something more to your liking.

Found this post when looking for something different. I had the MQTT configured in BI when I was using OpenHab but found the Onvif integration in HA and never looked back. I have not however figured out how to publish the JPG the camera records when it is triggered. If anyone has done that - Please post back! BI also accepts REST calls to change the profile setting

A popular way is to call the camera.snapshot service.

See section “Service snapshot”
I save the .jpg to my www directory, and attach the image to iOS notifications.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

2020-10-24 10:13:35 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.yaml.loader] while parsing a block collection
in “/config/camera.yaml”, line 2, column 3
expected , but found ‘?’
in “/config/camera.yaml”, line 5, column 3
2020-10-24 10:13:35 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Failed to parse configuration.yaml: while parsing a block collection
in “/config/camera.yaml”, line 2, column 3
expected , but found ‘?’
in “/config/camera.yaml”, line 5, column 3. Activating safe mode

your indenting is not correct.
all of the lines under the - platform need to be indented.
The start of the word name needs to be indented so that it lines up with the word platform.
Should be 2 spaces like this.

- platform: mjpeg
   mjpeg_url: http://192.168.20.69:81/mjpg/fdr
   name: FDC
   username: !secret blue_user
   password: !secret blue_pass
   authentication: basic
1 Like

So simple! Thank you!

Hi guys.
I’ve been usi BI with handcrafted yaml since i got my hands on it. It was working fine.
Then, when BI NVR integration was published, i switched to it, but keeping my binary_sensors i already had in place.

Today i wanted to get rid of the yaml i wrote, and now i have serious problems with motion sensors.
I tried many topics in BI motion alerts, starting with the BI help on the BI Integration page

BlueIris/&CAM/Status
{ "type": "&TYPE", "trigger": "ON" }

{ "type": "&TYPE", "trigger": "OFF" }

and many other topics i found looking in forums, but still i get no sign of activity on *_motion of BI-NVR binary_sensor’s. They are all always “off”

Am i missing something? What’s the correct topic?

Is there a way of showing the current profile of the camera in homeassistant?

I have some http curl commands to change them but sometimes they are not synced.

Thank you @TaperCrimp! I just made the switch from ZoneMinder after 5+ years. I had recently tried to use ZM’s notification server that ended with nothing but a big headache. I had avoided Blue Iris because of $$ and Windows but thought I would give it a shot and so far am pretty happy/impressed. I’d rather run on Linux but until I find a better alternative (and my license expires) this will work great.

I am running Windows Server 2016 in a VM with 15 cameras, 9 running continuously and most running with motion enabled. This feeds to a NAS with multiple TB to spare. I might end up moving to a dedicated PC or server but for now all is well averaging 50% on 12 cores and 1.2GB of 16GB Ram. I have some of the resolutions downplayed but am going to start turning them up for better quality. Since my server XEON CPUs are a little older, I think a dedicated pc with a ‘newer’ i5 or i7 should handle it well.

@Corey_Johnson Glad to help. If you’re really feeling ambitious, I put together another guide for integrating Frigate with Blue Iris. I’ve basically got a Google Coral doing detection and triggering alerts in Blue Iris. I’ve used Blue Iris for years and years, and the Google Coral detection blows BI’s native detection out of the water.

1 Like

I’ll check it out. Not a big fan of docker (haven’t learned it) although I did just make a Pi4 microk8s cluster and need a use for it.

Is there a way in nodered to trigger the Record on a specific camera?

Possibly from the blue iris integration and call service from the motion sensors I have in nodered?

Thanks

I created a PTZ automation:
front door, opens, zoom in on front door. returns to home position after door closed for 10 seconds.

configuration.yaml

shell_command:
  ptz_front_door: 'curl  "http://192.168.1.XX:81/admin?camera=Cam1&trigger&preset=3&user=BIUSER&pw=BIPASS"'
  ptz_living_room_home: 'curl  "http://192.168.1.XX:81/admin?camera=Cam1&preset=1&user=BIUSER&pw=BIPASS"'

automation :

alias: PTZ Front Door Opened
description: 'front door, opens, zoom in on front door. returns to home position after door closed for 10 seconds.'
trigger:
  - type: opened
    platform: device
    device_id: 1abf48bef78976c98e45df54bbca0ae0
    entity_id: binary_sensor.front_door_contact
    domain: binary_sensor
condition: []
action:
  - service: shell_command.ptz_front_door
    data: {}
  - wait_for_trigger:
      - type: not_opened
        platform: device
        device_id: 1abf48bef78976c98e45df54bbca0ae0
        entity_id: binary_sensor.front_door_contact
        domain: binary_sensor
        for:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 0
          seconds: 10
  - service: shell_command.ptz_living_room_home
    data: {}
mode: restart
2 Likes

This is the route I went. Ryzen 3900x with 64Gb in a coolmaster SFF.
Running 12 cameras at 42% utilization on CPU and 39% Memory.
Followed Hook Up’s video, so all doing 640x480 24/7 and 4k on triggers. several of the cameras are off-site connected via VPN.

I also run several VMs (HA, Pi, Unifi and couple others) on the chassis.
Have not had any issues other than Realtek 2.5Gb adapters couldn’t handle and had to go Intel. There’s a bandwidth/UDP issue with the Realtek, so stay away.

You won’t be disappointed in the decision.

jwb

Hi All,

Is anyone else Blue Iris machine CPU increases to upto 30% by installing the BI integration on Home assistant? I have 6 cameras, all have sub stream on 24/7 recording and mainstream only recording on motion detection triggered by AI ( followed The hook up vdo).

secondly, the binary motion sensors that gets added with the BI integration on HA, they never seem to work. in parallel I have mqtt setup on BI to send motion alerts to HA mqtt broker that works fine, however the montion sensors created by the integration never seems to work.

are there any other good uses for BI integration which you all can share? for me it seems useless for now as its definitely spiking CPU usage on BI PC.

Thanks for the read.

Regards

Does anyone know how you can monitor the cpu, disk and memory of the blue iris server within home assistant?

Yes… there are many options…
first one that comes to mind is IOTlink

Thanks, that worked (once i worked my firewall)

Hi Guys,

Is there an option to get the last motion-triggered clip on a lovelace card?
is it even possible? Currently I have all the live feeds in a view, but to have also the events/alerts would be absolutely amazing.

Thanks,
Didi