Bluetooth BLE - Tiles

Hi, i have same problem with Tile’s - bought 2 of them (2020 version) and what I think they do not show their MAC addr. until you actvate them throught the app. So I’ve activated first tile and got MAC which is constant. But I’ve made mistake with second tile and also changed “ring tone” which apparently updated its firmware as steted here - https://tileteam.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/226388947-Tile-Ringtones
And the second tile is chaning its MAC address after about 20-30 mins. Same situation as yours… I dont know if there is some option to get it working without official app :frowning:

I dont know if there is some option to get it working without official app

I don’t think there isn’t any other way to get it activate it without using the official app first. I could be wrong.

I guess You’re right. Until you activate it throug app it won’t broadcast MAC address. I’m wondering if there is any “option” to use updated Tile other than thru official app…

try using nRF connect to view the beacon data, a service ID of 0xFEED indicates it is a Tile, there is usually a service data string 10 bytes long, probably starting with 0x0200, I would bet that stays the same even if the MAC changes

New Tiles: Find Your Lost Phone, Keys, or Anything with Tile’s Bluetooth Tracker | Tile - I think it’s likely to become a much less viable option going forward, they’re probably locking it down even more.

It sucks, because they look quite nice, but I guess for unrestricted local access we will need to look more at cheap no-name beacons in the future.

These are also the only Tiles which still have a user-replaceable battery, all the other new models now have a “3-year battery”, after which e-waste beckons :frowning: Thus, it looks like I’ll hold on to my Tile Mates with user-replaceable batteries until they break…

2 Likes