Bluetooth speaker support for Hassio

Ehlo, I searched a while a way to pair any bluetooth speaker/headset to my Hassio install and I got to the conclusion that it isn’t possible in an easy way yet.

I am wanting to make a component to turn any bluetooth speaker into a media player + button sensor.
I managed to get all necessary commands running using pybluez but I only tested on my laptop. Does anyone know if it is possible at all on Hassio ? If so is there an easy way to get a sensor to update with a locking command (command locks until it recieves a packet from the device).

Also if you are interested by such a developement tell me so, I’m curious about the possible usages. In my case I want to use a cheap 4$ speaker as a doorbell intercom.

Thanks in advance !

13 Likes

Very intrested indeed!

seems so. a number of branded speakers are supported but a simple bluetooth… no.

What´s the status on Bluetooth speaker support in hassio? It would be very, very nice to use cheap Bluetooth speakers as door chimes, alarms, tts outputs and more.

I am also interested in this, I recently got a LILYGO® TTGO T-Camera and would love for a bluetooth speaker to do some TTS or play a mp3 or make a noise when the PIR sensor is triggered or if there is motion on the camera, make a announcement when my wife’s phone connects to the network, etc. heck there is a million applications for this.

I’d be very interested in this as well.

is this still in progress?

I would also love to make it work

I’m slowly getting back to it. It needs a good bit of coding and honestly I have really been discouraged by how very few of my PR are going through. I’m wanting to find a solution to the PR process first.

3 Likes

Good news to hear, I wish you well in overcoming the challenge.

1 Like

This will be a great enhancement. I am currently struggling to configure something similar outside the hass.io environment but in the same RPi.

this would indeed be a super feature :slight_smile:
also with the Google Assistant SDK addOn , it could be a real winner

I’m keeping my fingers crossed

This sounds great, and I will keep my lamenting over how it would make my esphome dfplayer devices obsolete to myself. :smiley: Seriously, I’d replace all those with sanwu powered speakers in a heartbeat!

1 Like

Is it possible to configure bluetooth audio within the homeassistant/armv7-hassio-audio docker image that uses PulseAudio?

1 Like

So, is it possible at all to do this? I have read all other posts and all of them say that I can’t use the same pi, if the docker version of HA is installed.

Did you ever get any where with the project?
I am still looking for a way to integrate my BT speaker into HA, would love to know if there is any solution to it.

Cheers

1 Like

I have a hard time believing this still isn’t possible.

From a HassOS console I’m able to pair to my bluetooth speaker and connect to it. It even makes the chime sound when it connects. Below is the info on the speaker that I can get from the command line.

[Solo 2 RGBW]# info b0:ce:18:94:fa:8a
Device B0:CE:18:94:FA:8A (public)
    Name: Solo 2 RGBU
    Alias: Solo 2 RGBU
    Class: Ox00240404
    Icon: audio-card
    Paired: yes
    Trusted: yes
    Blocked: no
    Connected: yes
    LegacyPairing: no
    UUID: Audio Sink                (0000110b-0000-1000-800e-00805f9634fb)
    UUID: A/V Remote Control Target (0000110c-0000-1000-800e-00805f9634fb)
    UUID: A/V Remote Control        (0000110e-0000-1000-800e-00805f9634fb)
[Solo 2 RGBW]#

From this point I just don’t know what to do. There seems to be no way in HA to send audio streams to this.

1 Like

What commands did you use in the console?

1 Like

From the HassOS command line login using root then type login at the HA> prompt. From there run bluetoothctl to get into the bluetooth command console.

Type help for list of commands.
Type scan on to start scanning for bluetooth devices and scan off to stop the scanning.
Type pair <MAC Address> to pair a device.

I haven’t tried to do anything with my speaker since. When I turn it on it will still pair back up with my HA.

3 Likes

I have managed to get a BT speaker working with HA.
https://marklewis.blog/2021/02/25/home-assistant-bluetooth-speaker/
I am using it for TTS via Azure quite nicely. Announcing someone at the door for example. I can also use it with Spotify as a playto device using the community add in. I have found how to play MP3 file as part of automation (not in the blog post) so I can do a ding dong sound for doorbell for example. It’s not perfect but it’s working well so far. I am still to find out how to use it as a dedicated media player (i.e. have an album on HA, play to the BT speaker)

4 Likes