Boolean switch and Alexa routine

I created a boolean switch to use as a trigger for Alexa’s routine. I added it to configuration.yaml in the emulated_hue section (as input_boolean.door). The switch is recognised by Alexa and added to the available devices. I can change its state. However, it is not in the list of triggering devices in Routines. How do I make it available?
This is about the door opening sensor in ZHA, which is supposed to trigger the voice announcement. Changing the state of the sensor via automation is supposed to change the state of the helper. Adding the sensor entity directly to emulated hue is possible and Alexa can see the device, but here too this cannot be used as a trigger in Routines. In addition, the state change in this case happens with a noticeable delay.
I am looking for any uncomplicated solution and have not found one. I’m stuck, but I’m sure someone has an idea or a solution. Surely someone has already dealt with it. Thanks in advance for any hints you may have.

1 Like

use alexa media player (GitHub - alandtse/alexa_media_player: This is a custom component to allow control of Amazon Alexa devices in Home Assistant using the unofficial Alexa API.)
and invoke the alexa routine from home assistant:

- service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: name of your alexa routine
      media_content_type: routine
    entity_id: media_player.your_alexa_entity

I am looking for an uncomplicated solution :slight_smile:

i’m all on board with optimizing for laziness. i’m there! but in all seriousness, what is the issue with this? i set this up in less than 5 minutes… then adding new ones litterally takes about 1 minute. emulated_hue takes more time than this…

You are right in principle, but I prefer to exercise my laziness a little longer, hoping that there is another way after all.
As for the emulated_hue, it takes about 30 seconds to add to the configuration file, so it takes much less time than 5 min. :slight_smile:

5 minutes is the very first time… and that’s to grock and make sure i did it right. i’m guessing it took you more than 30 seconds the first time too…

takes me more than 30 seconds to add another hue because i gotta restart home assitant and then i gotta go force alexa to find and recognize… and the alexa app is so crap slow!

but regardless. revel in the laziness… :slight_smile:

Thank you. This is my intention, at least for the time being :cool:

I ditched Alexa because my wife wasn’t paying attention to its chatter anyway. I remembered a cheap Sonoff switcher lying uselessly in my drawer. I put it in the electrical switchboard and connected it to the loud doorbell, which was operated by a button at the front door anyway. So, it’s hard to call me a lazy bugger, right? :sunglasses: :cool:
Now I have a minor problem with the automation for my innovation.

I think you’re over-complicating things. Create a “toggle helper” using the UI.

I did. Doesn’t work with routines.
This is no longer important because I have used a hardware solution. It works without the cloud, Alexa’s charms and similar inventions. But thanks for the hint.

you lazy bugger.

nope. still easy. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s no such thing as an “uncomplicated solution” in HA. :slight_smile:

You’re right - the switch exposed by emulated_hue to Alexa will not work as a routine trigger.

Here’s how I control Amazon smart plugs via emulated_hue without going through the nabu casa cloud:

likewise :dizzy: :upside_down_face:

1 Like